ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
New York guys ??? #5508616
04/28/16 05:04 PM
04/28/16 05:04 PM
Erie, PA
SifordOutdoorZ Offline OP
trapper
SifordOutdoorZ  Offline OP
trapper

Erie, PA
Any New York guys on here ? I live just west of the New York border in pa and have had several calls that I have been turning down close to home due to lack of a license . My question is what would I have to do to get a New York wco license test etc anyone know the procedure ??? Thanks in advance !

Sifords Wildlife Services
Re: New York guys ??? [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5508761
04/28/16 08:18 PM
04/28/16 08:18 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Take the test. The license costs $50 a year.

DEC offers it a couple times a year. You can print the study booklet off the DEC website.

Re: New York guys ??? [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5509517
04/29/16 06:09 PM
04/29/16 06:09 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Yea, Like Limestone says, call a D.E.C office close to check test dates, may have to travel if none are close. Hope its not like Vermont, called their Wildlife dept. for info. on out of state NWCO License, they tell you to leave message only, four messages & no return calls.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: New York guys ??? [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5509521
04/29/16 06:12 PM
04/29/16 06:12 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
I had that same experience with Massachusetts.

Re: New York guys ??? [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5509999
04/30/16 09:10 AM
04/30/16 09:10 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Not sure how long N.Y. will take to get back to you these days, never know, but they should. I was in the first group to take the ADC test some years back so don't know how much things have changed. The test was open book, but don't think its a breeze. If you don't know the book doubt you would pass going in cold, way to much learn and look up during a test for sure, especially if you are not familiar with it.

FYI. Looked into a fur license in Mass. a few years back. To get a fur trapping license for a non-resident in Massachusetts I was told it was now a two part course but a couple of weeks apart. Used to be one day, but now two non consecutive days. So if you lived in Nebraska and wanted to trap Mass. you could fly out and stay for two weeks or fly out, get a room, fly home, fly back and get a room. Makes sense, LOL. They have no non resident fur trappers getting licenses, wonder why. Don't know about non resident ADC trappers, can only guess.

Re: New York guys ??? [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5510318
04/30/16 02:08 PM
04/30/16 02:08 PM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Chuck (Coondog6) of Best Way Wildlife does ADC work in both NH and Mass. Being licensed in two states seems to be working out for him.

For guys who are close to the border of another state, I think jumping through whatever hoops they might give you would end up being worthwhile.

Re: New York guys ??? [Re: SifordOutdoorZ] #5510422
04/30/16 05:20 PM
04/30/16 05:20 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Certainly a worthwhile venture to get licensed in a neighboring state if you can make it pay.

We are licensed in 3 surrounding states. We do and will travel if the job warrants the expense and stay on the road for a few days or more. Typically road trip jobs are bat and bird work. We have been doing road jobs for many years.

Back in our early days traveling there were very few states with testing and licensing in place. You did need to contact each states Game and Fish Dept. to find what out what the regulations were on the species that you were working with.

Back then if you didn't handle any wildlife you were good to go. So bat and bird exclusion was usually allowed in most states that we worked in without restrictions.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread