ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas #5506615
04/26/16 08:35 PM
04/26/16 08:35 PM
Indiana
G
GW02 Offline OP
trapper
GW02  Offline OP
trapper
G

Indiana
Job #1: 1 acre urban pond, no active runs, just an entirely hollowed out peninsula bank with a weeping willow on it. Been there for years as have all the holes. Few if any visually distinct runs so I put some traps in "runs" I could feel with my feet. Fenced off one side to drive them into traps. Have seen fish, turtles and frogs, so expect to find them in the traps instead of rats. Connects by culvert under entrance drive to another pond, also with no distinct holes/runs.

Job #2: urban pond that I trap 1-2x a year, set traps three weeks ago in all runs although none looked used, also put some in culverts, caught nothing. Rat's back taunting the neighbors so I set out a floating trap (which never works) and a few others in another hollowed out bank where a willow used to be.

Job #3: urban pond, 3-4ft of rip rap falling out into deep water. Not possible to walk due to drop off. Set traps in drains and a floating trap where the rat was last seen.

Like I said, I've never had luck with floating traps, no matter the design, bait or lure. Stabilized or floating, makes no difference.

Fully hollowed out banks and rip rap shores w/no visible runs in either. What a terrible week. I'm expecting to walk away empty-handed because I know I won't catch anything without proper trap placement.

Any ideas on salvaging these jobs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas [Re: GW02] #5506684
04/26/16 09:18 PM
04/26/16 09:18 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Anything you can shove into the holes that they will have to push out showing they use the hole? Maybe a handful of the branches that willow trees drop every winter?

Re: Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas [Re: GW02] #5506811
04/26/16 10:25 PM
04/26/16 10:25 PM
Indiana
G
GW02 Offline OP
trapper
GW02  Offline OP
trapper
G

Indiana
Good idea for Job #2. I'll do that tomorrow. Thanks!

Re: Muskrat jobs -- challenges, need fresh ideas [Re: GW02] #5527121
05/18/16 10:31 PM
05/18/16 10:31 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Stools.
Parsnips stay white longer than radishes and potatoes, and I wire carrots under the parsnip on the nail and smear some minty toothpaste on top.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread