ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Vole control methods #5506689
04/26/16 09:21 PM
04/26/16 09:21 PM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
I have been doing wildlife damage control for less than a year, so I definitely have a lot yet to see and learn. But I have never seen vole damage to this extent before now. This is a nine acre piece of property, in a well to do area. The other adjoining property owners are fighting them too, so this could lead to a lot of additional work. I have limited experience with voles. My first instinct would be poisoning, but I do not possess an applicator's license. A pest control company who refers me often, sent this one my way. They don't do wildlife, but they will do rodents, so the only reason I can figure they passed on this one is because it looks like a good one to run away from, lol. Thanks for any advice.

Re: Vole control methods [Re: _fletch_] #5507183
04/27/16 09:14 AM
04/27/16 09:14 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Generally, when a PCO company passes on anything with rodents it's because they don't feel they can make money with the job. Due to label restrictions, pesticide use for voles can be very limited and they don't want to have guys walking nine acres setting snap traps. They don't want to commit the time nor the price tag (they know it will be high and don't want to be on the hook for it) for services of this nature.

From the images, it looks like a combination mole/vole job with some possible water damage to the tunnel systems. I'd set the tunnels themselves with No Moles and/or Molinators and then I'd set the exit/entrance points with snap mouse traps covered by pieces of gutters, flower pots or boxes.

For this size property and the area I'd set the expectation that voles and moles will be moving in from the neighbor's properties and ask for "help" from the client to get the adjacent properties into a program as well. This is a good area to be offering a 3, 6 or 12 month control program with weekly or bi-weekly trips (while damage is present) and then moving to bi-weekly or monthly monitoring trips once you've gotten control.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Vole control methods [Re: Eric Arnold] #5507198
04/27/16 09:28 AM
04/27/16 09:28 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: WCT
Generally, when a PCO company passes on anything with rodents it's because they don't feel they can make money with the job. Due to label restrictions, pesticide use for voles can be very limited and they don't want to have guys walking nine acres setting snap traps. They don't want to commit the time nor the price tag (they know it will be high and don't want to be on the hook for it) for services of this nature.

From the images, it looks like a combination mole/vole job with some possible water damage to the tunnel systems. I'd set the tunnels themselves with No Moles and/or Molinators and then I'd set the exit/entrance points with snap mouse traps covered by pieces of gutters, flower pots or boxes.

For this size property and the area I'd set the expectation that voles and moles will be moving in from the neighbor's properties and ask for "help" from the client to get the adjacent properties into a program as well. This is a good area to be offering a 3, 6 or 12 month control program with weekly or bi-weekly trips (while damage is present) and then moving to bi-weekly or monthly monitoring trips once you've gotten control.
Thanks Eric... I sent you a PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread