ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
raccoons #5496789
04/16/16 06:27 PM
04/16/16 06:27 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline OP
trapper
bob pake  Offline OP
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
Out company did some raccoon work in late December. A animal was breaking into a home at a second story dormer were the suffit roof line join. A coon was caged and the suffit was pulled down so it looked pretty . No pest proofing was done. In earl April raccoons broke back into the home at the same location. It seems that two coons fight over cat food on the back deck most nights. I pest proofed the solid side of the dormer and installed a one way door over the animals normal entry location. It seemed like it should work but the coons continue to fight on the back deck and climb the back wall. I wanted badly to control the coons so I set two cages on the back deck baited with marshmallows . ( the owner has lots of cats and doesn't want one caught even for a instant ). The bait went missing in about two thirds of the traps with bait near the pan and past not touched. OUCH.
Next I tried my version of the Jones formula for smart coons two more cages with three separate trails of goodies leading into the trap with four or five lures on sheeps wool past the pan in one . The second had a crude nest of down from a pillow complete with egg three lead in baits + more lures + 6 dog proofs with marshmallows or cookies with a stinky lure under the trap were a coon would not taste it . loganberry / castor /stinky cheese you name it.
The coon has started to damage a air vent ( I don't think, hope it is not getting in )+ there is activity at night.
I can't catch the animal and it won't leave.
I suspect two things. You can't fix stupid and this animal never looked at a calendar / not knowing that the first of Jan is way too early to breed. It seems to be saying that young are present ( about April 5 )
I can't get to the attic dormer area from inside were the animal entered . But I can take a game caller with adult baby coon fighting sounds and stress maybe even inflict hearing loss + throw some vanish into the dormer area as well as the roof vent .
My arsenal of non cat catching traps lures toys is pretty much shot,need help!

Re: raccoons [Re: bob pake] #5497144
04/17/16 06:52 AM
04/17/16 06:52 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Good with tools/heights? If you're certain they're heading up to the roof I'd set a few roof brackets with a small plank or piece of 1x stock, if there's a pitch, and attempt to set on the roof with a double door, or even a single. Hard not seeing the layout of the site. I'd also use a cage that I've recently trapped a coon in. Had a few coon that took a little longer to trap, enter an empty cage with nothing but the bedding and odors from a previous catch. JMO Good luck.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: raccoons [Re: bob pake] #5497256
04/17/16 09:44 AM
04/17/16 09:44 AM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia
Time for a game camera in the back to see why they are avoiding getting caught. I would use honey in the dp traps small amount on lip, rest down behind trigger. In Ron Jones set up he used all eatable baits and lures and very small amounts. A wire trigger cage might work.
Using a trash can trap, making it look like a spilled trash can with trap in center with smells coming from inside the the concealed trap?????
Kurt Temple

Last edited by Kurt in Va; 04/17/16 09:51 AM.
Re: raccoons [Re: bob pake] #5497347
04/17/16 11:22 AM
04/17/16 11:22 AM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline OP
trapper
bob pake  Offline OP
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
Thanks for the suggestions . The roof is too steep for a cage. I have had a little honey in two dog proofs for a few days.Put a camera in the attic this morning.
With a lot of traps and lots of goodies on the best locations I can find. Dumb luck should happen.

Re: raccoons [Re: bob pake] #5497614
04/17/16 07:01 PM
04/17/16 07:01 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
If she is in the attic, time for a coni over the opening. Cats arent getting into the gable vent. I bet she's trap shy due to young.

Re: raccoons [Re: bob pake] #5497647
04/17/16 07:35 PM
04/17/16 07:35 PM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia
Take an apple and shred it over the top from back to trip pan then throw a small piece into the back of trap. This helps get her attention as the apple smell floats on air currents. This is also a Ron Jones idea.

Kurt temple

Re: raccoons [Re: bob pake] #5498393
04/18/16 05:29 PM
04/18/16 05:29 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline OP
trapper
bob pake  Offline OP
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
I caged a coon this morning . I had six dog proofs all with a different lures. Three cages with multiple lures and three different baits. Then one cage that I caught a grinner in. My sheeps wool ,lures and the cage in general ended up a stinky mess. I guess I don't half to say what trap connected with the coon. So much for the time consuming multiple every thing sets.

Re: raccoons [Re: bob pake] #5498668
04/18/16 10:00 PM
04/18/16 10:00 PM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
Bob you sure you got the right one? I had a job 2 weeks ago coon was trap smart take bait up to pan and leave on pan and behind. kept working the coon finally caught a male. just didn't seem right but hey. but guess what that night the right coon was still hiding in the attic with young and I caught a male instead. I went in a did hand to hand with her LOL. Today I set up a trap for a sow with pups. I left and about 30 mins later the customer calls and said the coon is in the trap but refuses to touch the silver thing that shuts the door, he said I am sitting here watching her in the trap just looking at the stuff you put behind the silver thing. she gobbled all the baits and licked the lures up to that spot but wont go any closer. he told me she went out of the trap and walked to the side and just stood there looking in the trap then she notice him watching her through the window and she went back up.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread