Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap chain length for Newhouse #5411458
02/10/16 11:49 PM
02/10/16 11:49 PM
Minnesota
Pat_tc Offline OP
trapper
Pat_tc  Offline OP
trapper

Minnesota
I looked at 11 #4 OC Newhouse traps I have and 6 trap chains have 14 links (cut link) and 5 have 15 links. I also have 3 #3.5's and they have lengths of 50". 52" and 54". Anyone know what the correct length should be for theses or did they make them in different sizes. My NH 0's and 1's have the same size chains, should they be different?

Re: Trap chain length for Newhouse [Re: Pat_tc] #5411597
02/11/16 02:32 AM
02/11/16 02:32 AM
S.W. Oregon,USA
S
snakecollector Offline
trapper
snakecollector  Offline
trapper
S

S.W. Oregon,USA
On Newhouse traps with cut link chain the lengths are approximate. I would not say that a #4 should have 14 links or 15 links. As long as the chain does not look like it has been messed with, I would say that either is correct. The same is true with the #3 1/2 although, the earlier #3 1/2's had the standard #4 chain and then it was changed to a long chain. The cut link chain was used from 1882 when it was first developed until some time after 1925 when Oneida Community sold out the trap business to Animal Trap Company and they changed to the kinkless chain. Standard cut link chain lengths will very some. These variations, I find fascinating and educational. I once laid out 14, #4 Newhouse traps, all with cast figure 8 chains and just compared them to see what all the differences were and the similarities. It also became apparent that some things did not fit the time frame and it was obvious that some of the traps had been modified or repaired. This is quit common on a trap that is 130+ years old.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector