ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
honey bee trap out swarm boxes #5408604
02/09/16 12:57 PM
02/09/16 12:57 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
What are some good outlets to buy some honey bee swarm trap out set ups. Preferably used and scented. I think Warrior would be a good place to request some places.

Thank you

Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5409077
02/09/16 06:26 PM
02/09/16 06:26 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Bob, which is it. Swarm traps to catch passing swarms or bait hives to perform traps outs of established colonies from trees and structures. Then there's a third option that I don't think much of, a catch box for collecting bees from an established colony but not the colony itself.

[Linked Image]
Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5409079
02/09/16 06:28 PM
02/09/16 06:28 PM
Central Ohio
Dirk Shearer Offline
trapper
Dirk Shearer  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
A Swarm Trap and a Trap Out are completely different operations. Kind of like fur trapping and nuisance trapping are different.

A Swarm Trap is a container placed with the hopes that a swarm will investigate your "trap" and move into it. A Trap Out is a process by which an existing bee colony is forced to leave its hive, house, tree, old car, or whatever the colony is residing in. It is not dissimilar to using a cone device for bats. A super, also called a hive body, is placed strategically to ensure the bees take up occupancy as they are evicted. Its not quite as simple as I have described and no two are ever alike, but the basics are the same.

I use my existing hive equipment, regular deep supers and deep nuc supers, in both trap outs and swarm traps. The key to the swarm traps is having them where they will be investigated and having some old comb and swarm lure to make them more attractive. I use my nucs in trap outs and remove the bees every day at first and then every couple days as the population drops off. I combine the "captured" bees with existing colonies that may be weak or keep piling them in a new nuc to create a new colony. If I am creating a new colony I will add a frame of eggs, with nurse bees, so they can make a new queen.

So I guess my answer to what are some good outlets is use what you already have, I haven't found a magic swarm trap. If you don't have any bee equipement, buy or borrow some regular supers. Oh yeah, visit www.beesource.com for a wealth of info.

Dirk E. Shearer, President
The Wildlife Control Company, Inc.
"Cause if you won't put your real name on it, you probably shouldn't hit send"
Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5410110
02/10/16 10:28 AM
02/10/16 10:28 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Bait hives to perform traps outs of established colonies from trees and structures.

All of my work is primarily recent entry structural swarm removal that have become potential occupants as well as established colonies that have gone unnoticed for years within buildings or homes.

I know having old/seasoned comb and lure help for acceptance and investigation of a new holding comb site area. Probably not a lot different then acceptance for animals into a new trap or an area of unfamiliar smell usually always is a plus.

I have done some exclusions with varying success over the years but did not use any supers at that time. Kind of like doing a bat exclusion job in that you have to make sure you seal the areas close to the hive or they will be determined to find a way into the existing site.

Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5410241
02/10/16 12:06 PM
02/10/16 12:06 PM
Central Ohio
Dirk Shearer Offline
trapper
Dirk Shearer  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Do a search and take a look at Cleo Hogan trap out methods. It will show how to use brood from another colony to lure out a queen from an existing colony.

If I can do a cut out that's what I prefer. However, that is not always possible or practical. That is when I do a trap out. If you can lure out the queen so much the better. If not it becomes a battle of attrition. Tubing bees out into a nuc repeatedly. As no new resources are brought in, the colony will eventually starve itself out or perish due to lack of population. At that point, you have removed the colony. I will then leave the new colony I created to go in and rob out any additional resources. This type of trap out is not ideal, but it is sometimes required, especially if the colony is hived in a historical or brick building. Old comb or swarm lure are not required for this type of operation. The orientation of your nuc entices the bees to occupy it as it is right next to, or covering, the entry they were using already.

Warrior has a lot more bee experience than I do and is also an exceptional contributor on BeeSource. If he gives info contrary to mine, go with what he says as I would take any of his suggestions as gospel and would readily consider adapting my methods based on his advice.

Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5410251
02/10/16 12:09 PM
02/10/16 12:09 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
Thank you for your input and replies.

Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5410326
02/10/16 12:49 PM
02/10/16 12:49 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Dirk, do you have Small Hive Beetle? They are everywhere here and a trap out will get slimed everytime within the first week of a trapout once you drop the number of bees inside.
I'd much rather do a trapout when possible to avoid trashing a customer's house but with the sliming I have to take into account leakage and odor before doing a trapout.

[Linked Image]
Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5410515
02/10/16 02:51 PM
02/10/16 02:51 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline OP
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline OP
trapper
B

SW Pa
I am most interested in doing recent swarm entries into structures. Historical structural hive sites I usually refer to another individual that wants to get involved with a cut out and comb removal process.

Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5410696
02/10/16 05:16 PM
02/10/16 05:16 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Recent entries are still a cutout just no appreciable comb and honey to remove just bees and whatever small amount of comb. Trap outs are excellent at that time, no honey to make a mess.

IF, and that's a big if, you arrive in time before she starts laying judicious use of bee quick can flush them out. It needs to be used "behind" them to herd them out the entrance. Used in front, entrance side, it runs them deeper into the structure.

[Linked Image]
Re: honey bee trap out swarm boxes [Re: Bob Jameson] #5417241
02/14/16 03:04 PM
02/14/16 03:04 PM
Central Ohio
Dirk Shearer Offline
trapper
Dirk Shearer  Offline
trapper

Central Ohio
Warrior,

We do have those dang beetles, haven't been a big issue yet. I guess I have been lucky so far. Perhaps I should reconsider my options.

Thanks for the input, as Small Hive Beetle was not something I had given a great deal of consideration.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread