ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Not sure... #5391608
01/29/16 01:14 PM
01/29/16 01:14 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Not sure what makes folks believe they should deploy certain equipment within urban/suburban populated areas.

Will never know if it was a homeowner or one of the local companies attempting to become trappers but last night
had a call just after dark from a colleague who rehabs. A bobcat was hung up in the back corner of this guys yard on
his corner post. Had one foothold on a front paw and another foothold dragging behind that wedged into the fence keeping
it there all day.

Releasing it took just a few moments but honestly, this area is one of the most heavily dog walked areas I've ever seen including
when I lived in Portland, OR where everyone has a dog and is outdoors all the time. The two traps had a padlock on the terminal
swivels about 18" worth of machine chain, all bound up and not swiveling at this point.

Our city has an ordinance that includes no foothold traps yet of course any homeowner can go down to the local sporting goods
store and become a trapper in short order.

These were bridger square jaw offset #3s so I'm assuming this was someone who had some basic knowledge, but obviously when it
came to a stake or anchor or drag they either used bailing wire, or next to nothing at all.

These folks including all the people who were called when I was called who rehab and advocate for wildlife all now saw again an animal
that was in a trap, not properly utilized within an area where it had no business.

Just a PSA I guess, I spent at least 15 minutes explaining the device to the people trying to balance the fear and repulsion they had for
seeing this animal hung up in their yard but honestly the damage is done when folks are exposed to these in a setting they shouldn't be.

Please just remember the gear we all use should not only be right to catch or hold the animal you are trying to get, but should be appropriately
used socially so you don't add to the pile of damaging articles and media that are out there.

If my wife and I hadn't responded to this scene it very likely would have made the news as those who were responding as well had no experience
with this type of equipment or scenario and it is likely the cat still would have been there in the morning and media and people would have been
getting alerted.

There are at least 3 different efforts to ban these devices here in our state, please don't add to the negative.

Re: Not sure... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #5391688
01/29/16 02:16 PM
01/29/16 02:16 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There always seems to be those that just don't use good sense or the understanding of exercising good judgment at times.

Unfortunately, there are cases like these that we have to handle as best we can to properly educate the consumer and to try to calm the waters so to speak in such a case. Obviously this individual isn't a rational professional in their line of work or do so by doing someone a favor in their mind.

Re: Not sure... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #5391694
01/29/16 02:21 PM
01/29/16 02:21 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline OP
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline OP
trapper
H

NM
Agreed Bob.

Re: Not sure... [Re: HD_Wildlife] #5391910
01/29/16 05:14 PM
01/29/16 05:14 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
So true.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread