The Pen and Quill

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives
~Catalog~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#536211 - 01/23/08 02:42 PM Is there a God?
Terry Offline
trapper

Loc: White Sulphur Springs, MT
I am accepting the invitation to post what I have written on this site. I did not see where any subject was taboo, but often people get very leary about stuff that may be considered "Religeous".
Please do not allow this to concern you. I am not writing to start an arguement, and I do not intend to prove my statements to anyone. I simply ask that you read this and accept or reject it as you see fit. It is simply food for thought; possibly some thing that you have not considered prior to now, on which you can wrap your brain and ponder for a time.

Is there a God?
That seems to be the big question these days, because if there is not, we can live any way we want to live, do anything we want to do. We can live in the gutter or claw our way to the top, because this is all you get. Eat, drink and be merry; go for the gusto, because tomorrow you die.
On the other hand, if there is a God, and this God has created us, then this God owns us, and if we are His possession, He has every right to punish or reward us as He sees fit. If He is omnicient and omnipresent and omnipotent, then His power is greater than ours and His wisdom is greater than ours and He misses nothing. A sparrow does not fall to the ground without God being aware of it.
So this is a very important question. Is there a God?
At one time there was no doubt. At one time,everyone on earth knew God. At one time, the total population of the earth was two, Adam and Eve. Now we number in the billions. Now we are supposed to be more educated, more advanced, more civilized. Now the vast majority of the world either believes in a false God or no God. The vast majority of the world is in error, and will spent eternity in terrible agony. The Bible describes [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] as a place where the inhabitants are in total darkness. No flicker of light from a star or a candle or a sun. Only total blackness. At the same time, their bodies are suffering from worms gnawing on the inside and flames burning on the outside. Sort of like being a blind person in a smoldering fire burning under the surface of a garbage dump. The only sounds these lost souls will ever hear are the screams and cursing of other lost souls suffering the same agony for eternity. No end, ever.
That is why I am writing this. I have no illusions about changing the world. Most everyone will go to [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot]. The Bible says so. The Bible also tells us that God is not pleased when this happens. He created man to be His friend, to spend eternity in Heaven with Him.
I do not ever want to see someone suffer as those in [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] will suffer, so I am writing this, hoping that you will give it careful consideration. As I see it, because I care, my job is twofold. I must show you that there is a God, a true God, and I must show you how to avoid [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] and end up in Heaven.
Evolution is big these days, so let's start by saying you believe in evolution. Your ancestors crawled out of the slime and became blobs. Over millions of years those blobs evolved until they became apes. After more millions of years, these apes evolved into cave men, and millions of years later the cave men evolved into our present form.
Why Not!! Hey, the buckboard evolved into the covered wagon, then into the stagecoach, then into the station wagon, then into the mini van and finally into the SUV. It can happen!!
Want more? The dugout canoe evolved into the rowboat, then became the schooner, and is now the ocean liner.
More proof? That pitiful excuse for a plane that the Wright brothers built went on to evolve into "The Spirit of St. Louis" and has now become the jumbo jet.
Isn't that enough proof that everything evolves when given enough time?
The answer, of course, is no. All these wonderful inventions were planned by a planner, designed by a designer, made by a maker. Evolutionists say there was no design, there was no plan, and there was no maker. It just happened.
If you believe that evolution just happens, put ten bolts, ten washers, and ten nuts into a paper bag. Now shake the bag until all the washers align themselves on the bolts and all the nuts screw themselves onto the threads. May I suggest that you might wear out many bags before you receive the desired result? Yet given a million years or so of trying, you or one of your descendants might just get lucky and receive the desired result, so if you do, just try it one more time, but this time do not start with a bag, or bolts, or nuts, or washers. This time, start with nothing, the way evolution is supposed to have started.
Evolution not only contends that things just happen. They contend that as things happen, they improve. Dugout canoes become ocean liners, apes become men who are so enlightened that they need no God. If you believe this, simply ignore your lawn for five years. See how much it improves.
So much for evolution. I like the way my daughter puts it. She says, "I do not have enough faith to believe in evolution".
If you are now convinced that we did not somehow begin from nothing; if this whole complicated universe was not just a happy accident, then you must admit that there was some grand design, some plan. There must have been a designer, a planner. A planner who set up the earth to operate in a marvelous way. The rain waters the land, then seeps off into the creeks, which run off in the rivers, and the rivers carry the water to the sea. The sun shines on the ocean and draws water from the sea into the air where it becomes clouds. Those clouds move over the land and drop rain, and the pattern repeats itself year after year. We have softwood trees for building houses and hardwood trees for building furniture and fruit trees for providing food; shade trees for shade and others just for ornamental use, to enjoy their beauty. Same thing for grasses. Some for ornamental use, some for grain and some for grazing. Some animals for eating and some for clothing and some for companions. Even mosquitos are needed as food for fish. We have animals as big as elephants and whales and animals so small you must use a microscope to see them, and all have a purpose. Happy accident? Fat chance!
So we can see the design and see that it is a wonderful plan in this thing that people call nature. Who then, did this? Maybe
Mother Nature? Not a chance. Mother Nature did not invent men. Men invented Mother Nature. The answer is god, of course, but which one? There are so many. In fact, since the world was made, men have worshipped almost anything you can name. Some of them, like Diana, or Thor, or Mercury, or Baal are kind of obsolete these days, but there are still hundreds to choose from.
Folks in India have built temples for monkeys and rats and some of them worship cows. Buddha is big in some areas, and to a lesser extent, the Great Spirit still exists. Some really stupid people worship Satan and others, almost as stupid, worship the moon.
I think that we can rule all these out for obvious reasons. I would have a big problem with praying to a holy rat or a holy monkey or even a holy cow. It doesn't make much more sense to worship a little Jade idol with a bunch of arms, if worship is the correct term, The moon does have some effect on the tides and on the feeding times of fish and animals, but come on, folks, the moon is really just a big ball of dirt. It cannot hear your prayers and it certainly can't answer them.
That pretty well whittles it down to the big two. The triune God most commonly called Jehovah, and and Allah. My personal choice is Jehovah; here is why.
I have a written record of who God is, that starts with the biginning of time as we humans understand time. This record, called a Holy Bible, tells me how God made the earth and the universe. It has a geneological record that starts with the first man and continues for at least six thousand years. It is filled with the predictions of God's prophets, who in many cases had no idea what they were predicting, but everything in those prophecies that predicted the coming of the Messiah came to pass. His place of birth, His crucifixion and everything in between. From Genesis to Malachi, over thousands of years, people who not only did not know each other, but lived at different times, contributed bits and pieces of prophecy that all fit together to procaim Christ. This written record tells us of God's love, His desire to fellowship with us, and of His wrath, stored up for judgment day,to be poured out on those who ignored the greatest sacrifice ever offered in their behalf.
Because everything concerning Christ proved to be true, I can trust the scriptures when they tell me what to expect in the future.
I can trust the finished work of Jesus, the Christ, to be sufficient payment for the forgiveness of my sins. He died for Me. I live for Him.
In contrast, we have a god named Allah. People who follow this god say that they can trace their ancestry back to Abraham. This is a partial truth. The big problem with their story wis that Abraham did father two children, from whom sprang two nations. Isaac, the son of Abraham by his wife, Sarah, was the son of promise. Salvation to us would come through his bloodline. Jesus was a legal descendant of Isaac. Ishmael, Abraham's other son, was a basxxrd child born of his wife's maid. No promise was made to him. About six hundred years after Christ, some guy named Mohammed claimed to be a prophet of Allah and promoted Allah by killing those who would not accept him. Up until that time, Allah had been the moon god, just one of many idols worshipped by the descendants of Ishmael.
Mohammed preached hatred and death. No follower of Allah can ever be assured of going to his heaven unless he dies a martyr's death for Allah.
Our God sent His Son to die for you. Allah wants you to send your son to die for him.
That is why I have made the choice that I have made.
Could it be the wrong Choice? What if I worship a God that does not exist? Well, in that case,what would be the worst consequences of the position that I have chosen? Let's see, as a follower of Christ I will not become a wino on skid row. I will not contract herpes, or aids, or syphillus, or gohnorrea, or suffer for the other problems arising from sex outside of marriage. I will not be a drunk driver who kills an innocent person. I might spend a buck or two on missionaries or preachers, but I can't take it with me, so if I am wrong, the worst that can happen to me is that I die and rot.
On the other hand, what happens if you do not worship a God that does exist?
I believe He lives. I can see the evidence of God's hand every time I step outdoors.
He tells me that what I see now ain't nuthin', compared to what He has laid up for me.
I believe Him. I hope you do too.

#541720 - 01/26/08 12:16 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Terry]
James Online   content
"Minka"

Loc: Anchorage, Alaska
As far as I'm concerned, subjects here can include anything that's fit for kids to see. It's not the place for debating the writer's viewpoints and ideas, but for providing feedback that might help his writing.

You've done an essay piece here. Essays usually provide an opinion or conclusion supported by logical argument. There is nothing wrong with writing an essay based on faith, as you've done. But the facts you rely on should be sound; the foundation must be strong for the opinion to stand.

I found your essay strongest when you're talking about your own faith, and factually weakest when you're talking about subjects like evolution and other religions. I happen to believe in the theory of evolution, and think your understanding of that theory is flawed. My wife was raised Buddhist, so I happen to know that Buddha is not worshipped as a god. Buddhism is actually more of a philosophy than a religion, but it's both really.

Again, I'm not starting a debate. But these are the problems I, an agnostic, have with this essay. And I assume you may aiming at people like me, not preaching to the choir of fellow Christians.

Well written and well done overall. I especially like the seventh paragraph ("If you are now convinced. . . .")

Jim

Edited by James (01/26/08 12:18 AM)

#543937 - 01/27/08 11:13 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: James]
Terry Offline
trapper

Loc: White Sulphur Springs, MT
Thank you, James. I hope we have both given one another things to consider.

#673368 - 04/09/08 04:43 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Terry]
trappinboy101 Offline
trapper

Loc: Traphill, N.C.
me too, i for a fact know there is a god. i know several people who have woken and saw angles watching them. i am proof that he is a mercyful and the only god

Edited by trap man (04/09/08 04:44 PM)

#744993 - 06/06/08 07:24 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: trappinboy101]
Bruce T Offline
trapper

Loc: Northern Maine
There is only one God and he sent Jesus here to save us.The only way to salvation is through Jesus.Amen

#760288 - 06/19/08 02:30 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Bruce T]
BanditBuster Offline
trapper

Loc: Near Alexandria, MN
 Originally Posted By: brucet
There is only one God and he sent Jesus here to save us.The only way to salvation is through Jesus.Amen

Just what i was gonna say!

#761133 - 06/20/08 08:07 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Bruce T]
CoyoteCaller93 Offline
trapper

Loc: Burnt Cabins PA
 Originally Posted By: brucet

Thats the truth right there!

#928904 - 10/12/08 10:47 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: CoyoteCaller93]
Trapper Knox Offline
trapper

Loc: SE Iowa 21 years old
Thanks for posting that, terry. I won't lie, but I did get teary eyed.

#1432616 - 07/28/09 10:52 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Trapper Knox]
wisetrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: virginia
Originally Posted By: Trapper Knox
Thanks for posting that, terry. I won't lie, but I did get teary eyed.
Me too.this is a fantastic post,and thanks for taking the time to post it!

#1433828 - 07/29/09 07:25 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: wisetrapper]
trapper4 Offline
trapper

Loc: North East Ohio
Thanks for posting such a needed topic. I hope and pray all will consider the evidence and the fact that GOD DOES EXIST and He DEMANDS that we live for HIM! The evidence for creation and God's existence is overwhelming, to Him be the glory!!!!
Thanks again.

#1436584 - 07/30/09 10:39 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: trapper4]
komodo_28 Offline
trapper

Loc: Lancaster,PA
Thank you for posting this, and we ALL need to serve him.

#1442936 - 08/05/09 12:18 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: komodo_28]
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Loc: Goldsboro, North Carolina
James' ability to review submissions on this forum with neutrality to subject matter is why he stands out as a superior overseer of this forum. He's an accomplished author and someone's opinion I deeply respect.

#1445306 - 08/06/09 08:20 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Paul Dobbins]
Slate Offline
trapper

Loc: Carroll County, VA
Thank you for your post. Very good start and finish. I agree with everything you wrote. Good job and keep it up. Would you mind if I printed this out to share with others?

#1459688 - 08/17/09 02:27 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Slate]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
....interesting!

#1501189 - 09/17/09 11:27 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: LT GREY]
Trapperr Offline
trapper

Loc: Wilkes-Barre , Bear Creek Pen...
I Got Tired Of Reading It All !! We All Shall See The Truth In The End , Just Think If There Is Nothing There ,All That Wasted Time..........

#1501395 - 09/17/09 03:44 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Trapperr]
Charliebee Offline
trapper

Loc: NE Dallas, Tejas
My personal problem lies in two areas. #1, if it is true, why is it called the "theory" of evolution. To me that statement in itself is admission that evolution is NOT true.
#2, the OP talked of putting nuts and bolts and washers in a bag and attempting to get them to marry up to each other. Those items had to have an Intelligent Designer. Just like our world, nothing in it has evolved. Some things may have adapted to various environments, but there is no proof of a lizard becoming a bird or a monkey becoming a human. I agree with the OP's daughter, it takes much more faith to believe in evolution than creation if you only look around yourself. Nothing you see just happened! Even the trees and grass took time to grow from a seed to a plant and an embryo into an animal.

#1515670 - 09/28/09 03:26 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Charliebee]
LT GREY Offline
trapper

Loc: Central Ohio
Thing is that most of us will believe what we are taught from childhood..not all... but most all!
And we will defend that!
Why is it nations kill one another "in the name of God anyway?"

And only by dying will we "really" know!
By then though...you're NOT coming back.

This statement has nothing to do with faith...do you have it or do you not.
Believeing something is TECHNIQUELY NOT 100% the same as knowing!

(....and for the record, I was in church last Sunday!)

I once heard a question that asked:

Q)The definition of "a cult."

A) The guys religion who's different than yours! wink

#1524226 - 10/04/09 06:20 PM Re: Is there a God? [Re: LT GREY]
Riverbend Offline
trapper

Loc: NH
I was told by a preacher this once "Religion will get you killed but a relationship in Christ will get you saved".

#1698328 - 01/01/10 12:27 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: Riverbend]
born2hunt Offline
trapper

Loc: I Travel the Country Currently...
all i can say is pray for those who dont know the lord
and teach them of him and the wonderful things he does

and i like that Quote "Religion will get you killed but a relationship in Christ will get you saved".

#1698452 - 01/01/10 06:28 AM Re: Is there a God? [Re: born2hunt]
watershedman25 Offline
trapper

Loc: Ky.
How could you (anyone) possibly not understand that there is a God. All you have to do is give creationizm a few minutes thought and "bang" you have to believe. Believing and accepting are two diff. things. I have lived on both sides of the fence, for anyone who hasen't there is a great diff. on the other side. If you think you enjoy life w/out Christ, just think how much more it would increase w/Christ. Ounce you have a relatonship w/Christ, trapping will no longer be your first love. Come on over, this side is out of this world! PM anytime for ? or talk will be glad to help pull over the fence!

Born once,die twice-Born twice,die once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >