Trap Preparation Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Hop to:
#531492 - 01/21/08 09:34 AM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: Lynxcattrapper]
ADC
Unregistered

I like it Lynx!!! Be sure you put that post on here... The Trapping Archives Forum!

~ADC~

#531516 - 01/21/08 09:52 AM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: ]
Ky_Madman Offline
trapper

Loc: Kentucky
Thanks Lynx, i was wondering the same thing.
"For the Greatest Tragedy is being forgotten"

#531578 - 01/21/08 10:32 AM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: Ky_Madman]
Snowshark Offline
trapper

Loc: Chippewa County, Wisconsin
How far apart are the pins on your bending jig?

#531657 - 01/21/08 11:21 AM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: Snowshark]
OhioTrapr Offline
trapper

Loc: Athens County, Ohio
Using a device inspired by this thread we made these, just need to weld together.

Thanks alot for all the helpful videos and pics to everyone on here. Goes to show what you all do is not in vain.

#531758 - 01/21/08 12:31 PM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: OhioTrapr]
billcat Offline
trapper

Loc: Nevada
You can make a good trap ring for staking using the same method. Make the jig out of 5/8ths inch smooth rod. Use 1/4 inch annealed rod for the ring. Stick one end between the rods and bend one end of the loop. Pull it off the jig, and put the loop around the outside of one leg of the jig and bend the rest of the way around the other leg. Cut it off to the right length, put your chain on, tap the ring closed and weld or braze the ends together. I start with a 5 - 10 foot length of 1/4" rod and bend a ring, cut it off and bend more until the length is used up. No guessing as to how much you need for each ring, and you've got the leverage to bend them easily.

Smooth rod works better for the swivel jig as well, makes it easier to get things off after they are bent.

Bill

#531778 - 01/21/08 12:42 PM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: billcat]
Lynxcattrapper Offline
trapper

Loc: Idaho
AWSOME Job Ohio... thanks for the input Bill...and THANKS for sharing THIS method with everyone!!
Brent

#531974 - 01/21/08 02:29 PM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: Lynxcattrapper]
logan Offline
trapper

Loc: Michigan
how did you guys cut the nails?

#531989 - 01/21/08 02:37 PM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: logan]
billcat Offline
trapper

I use a pair of 18" or 24" bolt cutters. You can even use them to cut 1/8"X3/4" strap metal for base plates. That's enough baseplate for anything less than a wolf.

Bill

#532040 - 01/21/08 03:10 PM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: billcat]
KYBOY Offline
trapper

Loc: East, Kentucky
Its easy to make a jig to bend those 1/8th baseplates. use the same principle that Lynx's jig there uses. Or you can make a big one with a frame and a bottle jack. You can bend the 1/8th stuff without a jack, anything bigger requires more umph....

#532205 - 01/21/08 04:29 PM Re: HOW TO: make nail swivels AND J hooks!!! [Re: KYBOY]
billcat Offline
trapper

Just make up a baseplate bending jig for a heavy vise. I've made them that way. Most of mine are 1/8"X1/2" strap. Plenty heavy duty to suit me and keeps the weight down a bit. I also run a piece of strap out on the crosspiece past the pan post. Keeps that from bending on the smaller traps and winds the springs tighter. Make it as wide as the crosspiece.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie