Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#529998 - 01/20/08 03:52 PM BOBCATS - in deep snow?
Trapper Luke Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah
Well i've been tryin to trap bobcats in deep snow this season but so far its kickin my butt. I've trapped in the snow before but never in this deep of snow. My question is how do you guys do it? I trap mainly under cliffs and been tryin under trees but this year with all the snow theres not a whole lot of room under the cliffs or trees to do my usually sets

Thanks,
Luke

#530011 - 01/20/08 04:00 PM Re: bobcats in deep snow? [Re: Trapper Luke]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
I don't know what type of natural material you have to work with out in UT but here in Michigan we build cubbies, to keep the deep snow out, along cat travel routes out of brush and evergreen boughs. A visible bait is generally hung in the rear of a cubby and bobcat lure smeared just beyond the trap set in the entrance underneath an overhang on the upper inside rim of the cubby. Sticks, brush, whatever is used as guiding to narrow down the trail leading into the cubby to ensure the cat walks over the trap to get inside. Cubbies should be large enough in diameter to allow the biggest cats in your area to be able to enter, turn around and come back out. It is said cats never back up so some are reluctant to enter a tight place. Hope this is helpful! Ace

#530653 - 01/20/08 08:08 PM Re: bobcats in deep snow? [Re: Asa Lenon]
DLM Offline
trapper

Loc: Maine
We build large open ended cubbies out of logs. Some of them have been in use for many years. We also use those made out of spruce or fir boughs. Hang bait in the middle and set traps in each end. Cats, fox and coyotes can be taken in them. If ya to cut out the canines - only have one end open, the cats don't care if they can see through it, but most canines won't go into a closed in one.

You can also get them on leaning/running poles like we set for fisher & marten. We also get cats in them if using 220's. If you can use a larger condi (280 or 330)the better or snares - we can't use larger than a 220 condi or snares,except underwater.

#530764 - 01/20/08 08:48 PM Re: bobcats in deep snow? [Re: DLM]
k. miller Offline
trapper

Loc: Greensburg, KS 3 blocks from t...
asa...
i have a 160 set in a box for coon on and old pond dam.... two days ago a cat had climbed all over the box and dug around the base of it... this morning i freshed it up and threw a fresh chunk of cottontail meat in the box...... if that cat comes back and sticks his nose in the hole hes mine and he won't be backing up!

anyway......he must have been reluctant to put his head in the hole so maybe they won't back up! i'll give it two days and then a foothold goes down... haha

#530864 - 01/20/08 09:21 PM Re: bobcats in deep snow? [Re: ruger1965]
Asa Lenon Offline
trapper

Loc: Gulliver, Michigan
ruger: Great cubby picture, thanks, that will help out a lot of trappers.
K. Miller: Some cats can be taken in small boxes and buckets but it seems more often its only the smaller ones. Good luck Kirk!

#531475 - 01/21/08 09:25 AM Re: bobcats in deep snow? [Re: ruger1965]
2poor Offline

Loc: Lake Mille Lacs , MN
Many big cats are taken In MN using body-grips ! Lot's in 160 body-grips !

Lift the box so the cat can stick his head directly in without bending down. Move your trigger wires to the side or use a coni-pan so the cat does not have to push trigger with face.

Scott Phillips All-9 lure would make him want to rub against lure.

It is a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job !

http://mooseriverlures.com/

#531720 - 01/21/08 11:58 AM Re: bobcats in deep snow? [Re: 2poor]
Taximan Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
I'm not sure if some of that UT country has enough building materials for those kinds of cubbies.In this country,the heavier snow is up high and cats can move lower to get out of it and they do.If the cats are still there in the deep snow,follow their tracks and try to come up with a plan.If you can use them,the coni boxes sound worth a try.When i used to trap the deep snow,I'd have sets under every overhanging ledge I could find but would also set snares in my trails going to and from the ledges.When the snow is too soft for them to walk on top,they will sometimes use your trail to get some relief,as long as you are headed where they want to go.After the snow settles and firms or crusts over,those snares might not be as effective.Trapping the deep snow is tough but just keep at it and keep observing.You'll come up with a plan.

#531725 - 01/21/08 12:01 PM Re: bobcats in deep snow? [Re: Taximan]
Trapper Luke Offline
trapper

Loc: Utah
alright thanks for all the input fellers ill have to go try building some cubbies ill let ya know how they work.

Moderator:  BlueRidgeTrapper, tmrschessie