ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
1st flying squirrel job #5277026
11/19/15 07:09 PM
11/19/15 07:09 PM
Blandinsville, IL
H
huntin86 Offline OP
trapper
huntin86  Offline OP
trapper
H

Blandinsville, IL
After 2 years I finally got my first flyer job ( 1 flyer I have ever seen in person in west central IL) I caugh 1 flyer 2 days ago out side the house and I have 2 positive sets where they have chewed into the house. But now the temps are supposed to be in the high teens and 20's the next 4 or 5 nights. Anyone had any luck catching flyers in these temperatures?

Jordan Ruebush
Ruebush Wildlife Control
Re: 1st flying squirrel job [Re: huntin86] #5277112
11/19/15 07:54 PM
11/19/15 07:54 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
I am not to far from you. Woodhull, IL. Saw my first flier 3 years ago. I have caught them in colder temps than that. They need to eat and drink every night. Will eat snow for moisture if needed. Just my limited experience.

Re: 1st flying squirrel job [Re: huntin86] #5277418
11/19/15 10:15 PM
11/19/15 10:15 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
I catch them all winter. Lower temps will make your trapping more productive. They will be moving from tree dens to the nice warm attic:) They act more like a skunk than a squirrel, traveling from den site to den site. Thinking this is going to be a busy year for flyers, already have 4-5 jobs. Usually I get my first call the week after thanksgiving when home owners are grabbing the Christmas decorations out of the attic. Nice warm night here, just got a bat in the house call.

Do you have the southern or northern flyers in IL?

Re: 1st flying squirrel job [Re: RF Wildlife] #5277484
11/19/15 10:50 PM
11/19/15 10:50 PM
Blandinsville, IL
H
huntin86 Offline OP
trapper
huntin86  Offline OP
trapper
H

Blandinsville, IL
Just the southern flying squirrel that I know of. Thanks guys for the advise I only know what I have read about flyers, and know they enter torpor in cold weather so i wasn't sure how much activity I would see the next few nights. Jim how many flyer jobs do you typically get a year up there now. I only know a couple of people around here that have ever seen them, so they are pretty sparse here apparently.

Jordan Ruebush
Ruebush Wildlife Control
Re: 1st flying squirrel job [Re: huntin86] #5277718
11/20/15 01:08 AM
11/20/15 01:08 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
huntin86, we never had flyers at all. Then maybe 20 years ago I caught some about 25 miles west of here. They don't seem to be moving

east very rapidly but we've caught a bunch every year since. I kind of enjoy them. They're one of the few animals that you can grab

bare handed if you have to. I had one bite me as hard as he could and he barely drew blood. If you hold them firmly but gently they

relax and don't give me any grief at all. Our rehabbers go nuts over them but the customers are not crazy about being woken up by

little bodies hitting the roof in the middle of the night.

Re: 1st flying squirrel job [Re: huntin86] #5277971
11/20/15 09:53 AM
11/20/15 09:53 AM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Originally Posted By: huntin86
Just the southern flying squirrel that I know of. Thanks guys for the advise I only know what I have read about flyers, and know they enter torpor in cold weather so i wasn't sure how much activity I would see the next few nights. Jim how many flyer jobs do you typically get a year up there now. I only know a couple of people around here that have ever seen them, so they are pretty sparse here apparently.

As I said, I never saw one in the wild until 3 years ago. We have got a couple of jobs a year the last couple of years. 2 years ago, I took 19 out of one attic. I think more people have them, but don't know what they are.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread