ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
spray proof traps #5258207
11/05/15 11:56 AM
11/05/15 11:56 AM
wisconsin
B
big momma Offline OP
trapper
big momma  Offline OP
trapper
B

wisconsin
Hello all, I figured I would ask the experts. Do you think its possible for a skunk to enter a pvc spray proof trap remove all the bait and not trip the trap? And if so, how? I have the bait all the way in the back with a trail of bait to the front, he has emptied the trap four or five times and I can't figure out how. I have set the trap and fired it every day it works properly. I thought maybe it was just mice, my camera did show mice but also a skunk. Is it possible?

Re: spray proof traps [Re: big momma] #5258215
11/05/15 12:13 PM
11/05/15 12:13 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Possible but highly unlikely

Re: spray proof traps [Re: big momma] #5258232
11/05/15 12:42 PM
11/05/15 12:42 PM
New York
P
ponyboy Offline
trapper
ponyboy  Offline
trapper
P

New York
what kind of bait? It could be the mice.

Last edited by ponyboy; 11/05/15 12:43 PM.
Re: spray proof traps [Re: big momma] #5258403
11/05/15 03:43 PM
11/05/15 03:43 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
If it is the skunk that's eating all that bait, by now he should weigh enough to trip a bear trap. If nothing else works, put some

mouse poison in there. You can turn your problem mice into bait that way. No skunk can resist a big fat mouse that smells like

Contrac Blox.

Re: spray proof traps [Re: big momma] #5258633
11/05/15 07:24 PM
11/05/15 07:24 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Use a hanging wire trigger trap with two wires hanging down in the configuration like a "U" not a "V". Mice will center the wire, go through. The "U" fits the configuration of the tube, making whatever enters to walk right down the center. When the larger skunk comes through he fires the trap. If no mice, put bait right on trigger. Using a double door tube trap with body grip type wire trigger, put the trap where their hole is or funnel where they walk. Use same conformation on trigger.

On a larger trap say for beaver say a 12x12 swim through do the same and miss most of your muskrats. Change the configuration to a "W" and catch them.

Works the same way for otter. How you position the wire trigger helps to increase the chance of targeted animals only.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: spray proof traps [Re: big momma] #5258698
11/05/15 07:59 PM
11/05/15 07:59 PM
wisconsin
B
big momma Offline OP
trapper
big momma  Offline OP
trapper
B

wisconsin
The bait is jelly beans, marshmallows, and puppy chow. I'm putting one handful behind the trigger and another in front of and outside. I just didn't think mice would take that much. And even if they did I thought the skunk would still go in because of the smell. I have caught five out of this barn but this one is giving me fits. I only have two live traps, the spay proof and a small Havahart. I set the other one where it was entering the barn but had a malfunction, door did not lock. Reset and it has not gone through there again. Tried to put the Havahart in front of the den, (thinking I got you now) only to have him burrow just around the cage. I didn't want to use the cage in the barn because chance of spray but am getting very frustrated. I might try different bait. Any suggestions?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread