Wilderness Trapping Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 74 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 73 74
Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5455259
03/11/16 12:06 PM
03/11/16 12:06 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT
I ran into 3 wolves on Wednesday night in the dark skidoo portages. I managed to get all 3, a white one with mange will be handed in whole for sampling and 2 healthy blacks. I had to use a come along to lift one of the black ones for skinning. It's roughly the size of a cow caribou and easily 100+ pounds. Lots of fat on the two black ones that I skinned so I'm guessing this is the pack that's been terrorizing the moose out that way. I've even seen moose beds in the middle of rivers right on the ice so you know something in the willows was scaring them pretty good. Another pack upriver was also just ahead of me and they ripped up an old caribou hide before running hard for the river banks. I think I almost ran into two packs in one dark night!! I'll put up some picture later on tonight.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5456119
03/11/16 11:51 PM
03/11/16 11:51 PM
Kelowna BC Canada
trapper ron Offline
trapper
trapper ron  Offline
trapper

Kelowna BC Canada
Way to go on the wolves Ryan. Looking forward to the pictures.

Member BCTA
Trapping Instructor

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5458881
03/14/16 04:51 AM
03/14/16 04:51 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5458882
03/14/16 04:55 AM
03/14/16 04:55 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT
Had a pretty good story written on my other computer but when I tried posting it the laptop says incompatible programs.
I'll try tomorrow and put up the rest of my pictures too. Need to sleep now, took me 3 hours to do 21 km with a broken rear shock.

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5458884
03/14/16 04:58 AM
03/14/16 04:58 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT

One more.

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5458934
03/14/16 07:39 AM
03/14/16 07:39 AM
Northern MN
Dale Torma Offline
trapper
Dale Torma  Offline
trapper

Northern MN
Good job on those wolves!
That big one one is a brute!

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459363
03/14/16 03:17 PM
03/14/16 03:17 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT
Last Wednesday started out like any other day. I had no idea that it would end up turning into a dark night that will always be remembered as a stand out memory in my wolf hunting adventures.

All during the work day I was thinking about the traps that I had to check that night and shortly before quitting time I asked my supervisor for Thursday off so I could camp out at the cabin and wake up early the next morning to set and run 10-15 rat traps for the day. I hurried home at five bells and got my stuff ready while caribou meat and potatoes sizzled in the frying pan. I decided that since I would be camping there wouldn't be much sense in rushing to get out of town, and I even waited around long enough to help put my kids to bed.
After that I sat around some more and watched a movie with Fiona and then when she went to lay down I started getting dressed for the trip before I was tempted to wait for morning to travel. It was now about midnight and dark but I've never minded travelling at night if I have a good trail to follow (sometimes with no trail too), so I grabbed my gun and bag and then went to gas up my skidoo tank and 15 gallons extra. While gassing up I noticed that I had forgotten my extra cigarettes in my truck, so back I drove, all the way across town to get them.
Finally I was on my way, for real this time.

The trails were dark that night as I travelled through familiar lakes and portages with no stars or moonlight to be seen. About half way to my cabin was when I first seen the fresh wolf tracks.
I quickly checked them and continued on judging them to only be a few hours old by the amount that the snow had hardened inside of the prints. I wondered if waiting so long to leave town was such a good idea as I followed the tracks across a wide open stretch of the Mackenzie River where seeing them earlier would have been the ideal spot to get a few delta dogs. The tracks followed the main trail back into the lakes and portages and before long I pulled up to the first pee post which was marked with blood streaked urine, a sure sign of the females coming into heat. I quickly shovelled the frozen pee into a plastic bag that I had in my pocket then smoked a cigarette in anticipation of the possibility of seeing a wolf at the 2 month old moose kill that was coming up in the next chain of lakes. This is when the exciting stuff started happening.

A couple lakes later.......

I hit the lake and grabbed the throttle thinking if the wolves spent a couple hours at the kill site then I can either catch one in the headlights or stop and try howling to see where they were.
Pulling up fast I could already see the moose was dug up and there was some tracks bounding up into the willows and some more tracks running down the skidoo trail. I figured my best bet would be to keep'er pinned down the lake in case some were still on the ice. Sure enough I spotted a black wolf running into the start of the next portage. It's funny that this log stands beside the trail and every time I pass by in the dark, the shadow from the log passes the portage left to right. This time the shadow went left to right and straight? It took my brain a quick second to sort out the sight and tell me "YES that was a wolf you just seen Ryan!"

The wolf got through the willows and hit the next lake way faster than I could. The speed he was going on the hard packed trail could've put a grey hound to shame and before the next portage he was so far ahead that he took advantage and jumped off the trail into the powder, up the bank and into the timber where I could never follow. More tracks running though so on I went knowing that I was less than a minute or two from the Mackenzie River, and more importantly, a smooth stretch of the Mackenzie River. The last willowed area before the big river is a long slough covered with 3 foot high red willows leading to a narrow channel with cut banks on both sides as it hits the Mighty Mackenzie.
EYES!
Pinned. Can't see them. Then a blurry spot at the furthest reach of my lights. Wolf Breath steaming, and snow flying behind them, I catch up as they hit the cut banks. I can smell them now and the deadly looking white wolf running in the lead has all my attention as they leave the slough and the willows for the last time. The white splits to the left with me behind as the 2 blacks stay on the main trail across the Mackenzie. I get close enough then with the wolf running broadside I first see the mangy side view. I decide to take it out of the population and hand it in whole to the GOV for sampling so I let my first shot go. It drops the wolf but as I slow down and turn back I can see he's gotten up and doesn't look much slower. Get him back in the headlight, broadside....Click! Click! Rookie mistake. The one time I forget to fill the magazine before leaving!! Was probably swearing at myself as I stuffed 4 shots in and took off again. Now the 3 tracks hit some rough ice and about half way through it, two sets of tracks leave the trail and go right, Heading back towards the smooth area with some deeper snow. I quickly think it's the black ones when they had a big lead so I follow the single set going straight on the trail. I caught up at the far (west) bank of the river and made no mistake this time dropping my first wolf of the night. I filled the magazine right up and got back across to the smooth spot, quickly turning down river hoping the wolves were headed back to the east bank. I was speeding along with only my headlights and a prayer. I said out loud a couple times "Come on tracks...Come on tracks..." THERE! TRACKS! Couple minutes later at the far edge of my lights I see a blurry shadow and catch him as he hits the bank. I jump off my skidoo and let er' go dropping the biggest one with a clean headshot just before I would've lost him. 1 more set of tracks! Let’s go! Spotting the last wolf was a repeat of the first black. I get him broadside and down he goes!
I went back to where it all began and picked up my sled and wolf mitts which both got dropped when the action started. A quick look back at the first lake showed 6 wolves had gotten away. I looked for them for a while but they stayed in the timber. But man was I happy with my 3 wolves, and the chance to have a smoke! I followed my trail and retrieved the 3 wolves. I grabbed the white one first and was sure to fill my sled with snow before placing the wolf on top. I brought it over to the east bank and buried it then dumped the snow from my sled. I knew I wasn't going to skin it so I would leave it until I was on my way home when I could bring a tarp from my camp to wrap it up and avoid handling it too much. Travelling on I seen a different pack had been around about 15 miles upriver and they were bounding into the willows and trees as well. I stayed up all night skinning the two black ones, and kept thinking, how much more luck could I have asked for? A lot of things could've prevented this but everything worked out. A night to remember for sure! The next morning I pulled some winter traps and picked up a really nice pale cross fox in a snare.

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459376
03/14/16 03:29 PM
03/14/16 03:29 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT

The first black

Fresh cut on the hind quarter. didn't look like a bite mark though.

Headlights and a prayer

Tracks leading to wolf #3

First black is in the sled

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459417
03/14/16 04:05 PM
03/14/16 04:05 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
Thanks Ryan for the great story and pictures I felt as if I were riding along with you on my sled. Years ago I also had a black wolf run out in front of me on the interstate going home from work late one night but never got a second look at it no matter how hard I tried.
So what did you find wrong with the hip on the one black wolf ?
Those are sure a nice color and size.
Allan

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459433
03/14/16 04:20 PM
03/14/16 04:20 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT
Thanks Allen. The hip had a small tear and I'm guessing it was from ice, or another wolf. With the female around close by the 3 big males might've been fighting. Maybe it was slowing down another faster wolf in the narrow portages and got a few nips to tell him to speed up. Hard to say what happened. No damage to the muscle underneath though and nothing a few stiches won't take care of. I gave the last black wolf of the night to Fiona to tan and sew whatever she wants to. The trapped one from a few days earlier is still intact and will be sent to auction.

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459459
03/14/16 04:41 PM
03/14/16 04:41 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT

My new theory is that he got cut by the log in the picture.

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459477
03/14/16 04:53 PM
03/14/16 04:53 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Great play by play Ryan.Nice job on the Wolves.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459518
03/14/16 05:25 PM
03/14/16 05:25 PM
Russia
Taiga men Offline
trapper
Taiga men  Offline
trapper

Russia
Ryan McLeod, Excellent story

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459599
03/14/16 06:13 PM
03/14/16 06:13 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT
I enjoyed writing the story so much that I've decided to get back into writing after a 3-4 year loss of interest. I've even picked the title for my first book:

"A bear ate my oranges: A collection of short stories by Ryan McLeod"

HAHA! Just an idea I had, thinking out loud more than anything at this point.

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5459656
03/14/16 06:48 PM
03/14/16 06:48 PM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
Sounds good Ryan I want a signed copy LOL
Allan

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5460373
03/15/16 02:03 AM
03/15/16 02:03 AM
Fairbanks Alaska
AKHowler Offline
trapper
AKHowler  Offline
trapper

Fairbanks Alaska
Thanks for the ride a long Ryan. Great story

Alaskan #9 Trap Company
JR Pederson
PO BOX 58226
Fairbanks AK 99711
cell# 907-378-7291
pedersonjr@yahoo.com
Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5461425
03/15/16 08:57 PM
03/15/16 08:57 PM
Chicken, Alaska
Chickenminer Offline
trapper
Chickenminer  Offline
trapper

Chicken, Alaska
Ryan,
That white wolf is cool! Too bad the hide is no good.
Sounds like quite the rush for a few minutes.

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5461569
03/15/16 09:59 PM
03/15/16 09:59 PM
ohio
Oakswamper Offline
trapper
Oakswamper  Offline
trapper

ohio
Thanks for the story

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Chickenminer] #5461782
03/16/16 12:36 AM
03/16/16 12:36 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline OP
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline OP
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted By: Chickenminer
Ryan,
That white wolf is cool! Too bad the hide is no good.
Sounds like quite the rush for a few minutes.

Yeah when I seen the 3 running I had my chance to choose one. I picked the white because from behind he looked like a good wolf. Once I seen the mange I was thinking darn it I should've chose a black. I thought the two blacks were long gone but luckily they took a long route through snow and I was able to get them too. I looked for the others yesterday but only found tracks from one wolf. Probably the first one I seen. It is a rush but I've learned to save the shaky nerves for afterwards, dry eyes and cold shaky hands after it was all done. I tried a wolf hunt in the mountains on Saturday too but a busted shock on the way home ruined the day. Still feeling it in my neck and shoulders today.

Re: Here we go again... Delta trapping 15-16 [Re: Ryan McLeod] #5461977
03/16/16 09:51 AM
03/16/16 09:51 AM
Quebec
F
francois Offline
trapper
francois  Offline
trapper
F

Quebec