ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Smart Beaver and Baileys #5252361
11/01/15 08:50 AM
11/01/15 08:50 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline OP
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline OP
trapper

New York
When you get down to that one last (expletive or (s) of your choice) beaver that is avoiding everything and anything he can see that you put down, conibears, cages and even snares on top, though the Bailey is a large trap, it can be completely camouflaged in the right situations, weeds or muck. Educated, wised up beaver seem not to want to go under or through anything, no confinement. Because the beaver simply swims over the Bailey trap, there is nothing to tip him off, just business as usual swimming on the surface. Just had a spot where the water was shallow, a foot or a little more I guess, lily pads and weeds. Dropped it in and added a bit of this and that until it was completely invisible. You could see the trail in the weeds, a no brainer. Just line out the trap and center it in the path. This beaver and I had some history, so very glad to see him in the basket, 47 pound male, exactly the call.

When you set the Bailey you do need to make sure all is clear and the trap is set on a short throw. I once made an error in not checking the safety, which hung on the cage wire, something that will not happen again. All in all, I have a great deal of confidence in the capability of the Bailey to get me out of jams, several of them so far. Once in a while I create a problem, but often they are inherited, but nice to have a trick or two in the bag.

Re: Smart Beaver and Baileys [Re: Jim Comstock] #5252457
11/01/15 10:31 AM
11/01/15 10:31 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Mr Comstock, I hear ya on avoided traps, just wrapped up a job where the first guy educated these beavers on 330's and baileys resulting in the removal of one beaver. Took me 8 days to remove what I believe was to be the last two in this area with one being a decent size male. It's not that often I start second guessing myself but this job had me spinning, between snapped traps, clogged traps, property lines I couldn't cross and untouched traps, no question had me uttering a few choice words. The feeling couldn't have been better seeing the traps have connected on the 7th and 8th day.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread