ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Even Our Regulations Are Hilarious #5226620
10/11/15 01:15 PM
10/11/15 01:15 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Animals Protected At All Times: The following wild animals are designated protected and have no open season; Woodchucks ( ground

hogs ) and flying squirrels. Since these two species are often shot, Conibeared, snap trapped, and poisoned, I would like to know

if any of you Wisconsin guys have ever heard of anyone getting a citation for either of these two animals. I know I haven't. Even

though we live trap and relocate these guys, I guess technically even that would be illegal, although that could be superceded by

our "Animals Doing Damage" law.

Re: Even Our Regulations Are Hilarious [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5227981
10/12/15 03:23 PM
10/12/15 03:23 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Wink,

I think this topic falls under the catch all for all wildlife law related thoughts.

As you know even getting folks prosecuted for poaching of high value wildlife can be an uphill battle in many states, counties, etc...

The sitting judges in many areas can toss cases that are clear where violations were evident, documented and so forth, because they frankly don't care, or don't see the big deal.

Way back I did a ride along internship with the DEC with a game warden and took conservation law enforcement where we were taught by actual wardens. The stories they told and how many cases were dropped though clear violations paints a picture that in most states you aren't even getting nailed for true violations of big game laws, while non game species like in all other cases are literally left to nearly no potential for enforcement.

Then as you pointed out take those laws that supersede like your animals doing damage law and you've got really no potential except a gross violation with someone who has the right strings to pull politically to make legal action take place. Not likely in most cases.

Many non game species are protected by omission, meaning unless specifically stated as to what can be taken or harvested it is protected from said action, yet in reality not so much.

I pursued the warden aspect into college but I'm glad the fork in the road I took lead me elsewhere, other than really high profile poaching cases with the right judge, just a frustrating job.

Even within our industry, the folks who tend to get their hand slapped legally tend to do something that makes the news or gets caught by an AR group that forces action where otherwise it likely wouldn't happen.

These days with cell phone videos, and johnny on the spot with home security camera systems and nosy neighbors and quick social media action, I bet you'll see more happen in the coming decade then ever before as with video and pics you can make something move quite quickly, whether right or wrong.

Laws are a funny thing, anyone who believes they stop things from happening hasn't been alive very long, I used to favor enhanced regulation of many things, but quite honestly it isn't worth the money to pass many of the laws for the actual end product they will create in terms of reduction of violations.

Anyway, just my rambling .02.......

In the end lots of fines are given out for violating game and fish laws, but most are not enough to discourage many from violating.

Plus some folks violate to feed themselves, I've known many who poached and were caught as young men just trying to shoot food for their families who were very poor. They were good folks in bad situations but some received records that haunted them further on down the line when they weren't truly worthy of wearing the violation anymore.

Re: Even Our Regulations Are Hilarious [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5228113
10/12/15 05:01 PM
10/12/15 05:01 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Justin, thanks for that very well written response. I guess the funny part of this to me is that two animals that certainly don't

need protection ( because we have been blessed with plenty of them ) are listed with lynx and wolverine. I live in a state where

violators are not well received; especially in the northern two thirds of the state where the hunting and fishing tourists are their

lifeblood. I have found our wardens to be some of the easiest guys to talk to and actually a lot of fun once you get to know them. I

had one warden do a great job of following me without me knowing he was there. When he jumped out, he was ticked; "Winkelmann, why

didn't you tell me it was you?" He scared the crap out of me but I didn't let it show. I responded with, "I didn't want to spoil

the surprise." Then we both laughed like crazy!

Re: Even Our Regulations Are Hilarious [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5228599
10/12/15 09:51 PM
10/12/15 09:51 PM
Montana
USMC47 🦫 Offline
trapper
USMC47 🦫  Offline
trapper

Montana
I should be allowed to trap free-ranging hippies and liberals here. We have the most ridiculous rules...

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle.

www.derricks-nm.com
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread