ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Flying Squirrels #5225945
10/10/15 08:23 PM
10/10/15 08:23 PM
Ohio
M
Margie Offline OP
trapper
Margie  Offline OP
trapper
M

Ohio
Friday at 4 am I was awakened by thrashing and splashing in the toilet. My husband was able to remove a flying squirrel from the toilet but then the mystery began. Where did it come from? Today, again, I found a flying squirrel in the toilet this time obviously drowned. I live in Ohio with a lot of trees. I had a flying squirrel removed from my attic about 5 years ago but haven't had anything since. Has anyone had any experience with this situation? I saw where they may be coming through the vent pipe. Is this possible? I tried to post this earlier today. But this is my first attempt at a forum so I'm struggling.
If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks, Margie

Re: Flying Squirrels [Re: Margie] #5225989
10/10/15 08:59 PM
10/10/15 08:59 PM
Ohio
JBarnes6767 Offline
trapper
JBarnes6767  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Hi Margie, it sounds like the flying squirrels have made a new entrance into your home, probably chewed into the attic through an old repair or found a new location. If you have a basement they may be coming inside the house from an unfinished area down there and going to the water source. If on a slab perhaps coming through the large plumbers gap under a sink. If you have more questions give me a call. Good luck, Jacob

Jacob Barnes
CWCP
Owner - Viking Product Supply
www.vikingproductsupply.com/
Owner - Barnes Wildlife Control
www.barneswildlifecontrol.com
Re: Flying Squirrels [Re: Margie] #5226482
10/11/15 10:47 AM
10/11/15 10:47 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Just one more danger connected to "not putting the seat down".

Re: Flying Squirrels [Re: JBarnes6767] #5226744
10/11/15 03:42 PM
10/11/15 03:42 PM
Ohio
M
Margie Offline OP
trapper
Margie  Offline OP
trapper
M

Ohio
Thanks for the response. I'm really leaning toward the vent pipe aka soil pipe as their way in. Reason being that I have a cat whose a fairly good mouser and a year old German Shepherd who misses very little. That's why the Friday 4 am wakeup call was so confusing. Then, again I have a basement which I'll keep an eye on. Have you ever heard of the pipe M.O. ?
I have city sewers and water but would it be possible for it to come up through the plumbing? As far as a water source, the dog and cat have water out all the time...Why the toilet???
One last idea. Rabies. Would it be out of line to suspect that they have rabies due to the fact that it is irrational behavior to come into the living quarters and go to the toilet for water? Finally, where would I take them for testing for rabies? I live in Summit County in a suburb of Akron.
Thanks, Margie

Re: Flying Squirrels [Re: Margie] #5226879
10/11/15 05:53 PM
10/11/15 05:53 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Our squirrels don't seem very receptible to rabies. I have found flyers in every part of the living quarters; they especially seem to

enjoy watching TV.

Re: Flying Squirrels [Re: Margie] #5226894
10/11/15 06:14 PM
10/11/15 06:14 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
Margie, you seem to think its the vent pipes, just place some screen & secure over pipes, see if the toilet visits stop. Had a grey squirrel that got in to a vent pipe, never made it that far, got as far as the 2 " pvc pipe & got stuck

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread