ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Pigeons through an overhead door #5215232
10/01/15 10:22 PM
10/01/15 10:22 PM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline OP
trapper
bjansma  Offline OP
trapper
B

Florida
I have a potential client I did an inspection for. They have a pigeon problem. I don't have any experience with bird exclusions but its an area I would like to get into. Looking for ideas.

They are a large manufacturing facility and they leave the overhead doors open year round due to the heat in the building due to the heat thrown off from their processes. Building is in great shape. There are only a few birds in there. They only seem to be in the area near the docks(doors) where the product is stored. I could probably take care of the birds with a net or pellet gun, maybe a trap if they needed me to.

The doors are open about twice as high as they need to be. I was thinking about plastic chain, hung vertically, every six inches across the doors. That would move a little bit and maybe deter the birds but still provide the airflow to the building. Am I on the right track or will they just fly in lower?

Bob Jansma
Re: Pigeons through an overhead door [Re: bjansma] #5215246
10/01/15 10:29 PM
10/01/15 10:29 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Bob,

Have they looked at plastic curtain strips like most warehouses have, or the forces air blowers?

If the birds have a high affinity for nest sites or finding good inside the warehouse they will land and walk in if need be.

Pigeons aren't scared of much when the motivation is great enough.

Warehouse doors for exclusion generally means plastic hanging strips or forced air blowers.

Some places don't like the strips or hanging things if lift operators can't see through them (safety hazard).

Those would be my first two suggestions other than outright maintenance trapping program where you schedule to come remove birds whenever the issue becomes too much for their liking.

I love pigeon exclusion but I'm also grateful I haven't had this particular issue for pigeons.

Think a few others have hit on options for this here before...?

Justin

Re: Pigeons through an overhead door [Re: bjansma] #5215363
10/02/15 12:09 AM
10/02/15 12:09 AM
Mt. Olive, IL
R
Ron Scheller Offline
trapper
Ron Scheller  Offline
trapper
R

Mt. Olive, IL
I have a Georgia-Pacific plant a mile from my house, and I've done bird work for them for about 10 years. Netted the truck dock, bird-proofed a lot of the metal roof edges, etc. They had an ongoing problem with pigeons (and other birds) entering the plant. That's a no-no, as they produce boxes for the food industry.

After fighting the issue of birds flying in the open warehouse doors, they finally bought these and installed them. Problem solved. Allows the regular overhead doors to be left open for ventilation, but stops birds and other pests from entering. They look good, and work good. You can get manual lift doors or electric openers.

http://www.barrondoors.com/product/671_ChaseDuraShieldBirdScreenDoor.aspx

Ron Scheller

Re: Pigeons through an overhead door [Re: bjansma] #5215383
10/02/15 12:41 AM
10/02/15 12:41 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Very nice! Thanks for the link Ron! Thought I remembered you commenting on this issue before.

Those are good looking functional doors for this issue!

Excellent!

Re: Pigeons through an overhead door [Re: bjansma] #5215417
10/02/15 03:52 AM
10/02/15 03:52 AM
UK
T
Talpa Offline
trapper
Talpa  Offline
trapper
T

UK
We have had this type of problem a few times. The Barron Bird doors look good, I've only seen the vinyl sheet speed roll doors over here. Where we have fitted them to stop birds they work well but if the birds have been nesting you will probably need to trap or shoot with a pellet gun to remove the resident birds as we have had birds wait for vehicle or foot traffic and swoop in + out when the doors open and close.
An alternative we have used where a roller door has been too expensive is to make up a frame and cover it with bird netting or weld mesh so that the overhead door can be lowered onto the frame to maintain airflow for ventilation. Smaller doors can have lift off brackets, one large door was fitted with hinges and caster wheels so the could easily be swung open for access.

Re: Pigeons through an overhead door [Re: bjansma] #5215535
10/02/15 08:32 AM
10/02/15 08:32 AM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline OP
trapper
bjansma  Offline OP
trapper
B

Florida
Thank you, everyone, for the responses. I just sent in a proposal for trapping and gave the link for the Bird Screen Door.

Bob Jansma
Re: Pigeons through an overhead door [Re: bjansma] #5219226
10/05/15 01:37 PM
10/05/15 01:37 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Sounds like they could use some HUGE industrial wall fans and shut the doors, unless needed open.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread