Trap Preparation Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#521733 - 01/16/08 09:41 AM 1.5 duke coil modding tricks
adamj Offline
trapper

Loc: MN
For you pros out there, How can you get your pan to be level with the jaws. I have everything set correctly but the pan when level sits about 3/8" above the jaw level line. If that makes sense. Is there some sort of bending trick you can do with the pan post etc. Or am I just way over thinking this.

#521748 - 01/16/08 09:51 AM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: adamj]
wildWV Offline
trapper

Loc: Fort Ashby WV
adam yes there is an adjustment that can be made but try setting your trap and tapping the rear of the dog towards your pan this sometimes allows the pan to level out.If this does not work simply bend the part of the trap that holds the dog slightly towards the center of the trap.

#521759 - 01/16/08 09:58 AM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: wildWV]
adamj Offline
trapper

Thanks for your response, but.... I have crimped the dog eye shut,just above the binding point. Squared up the pan notch, and filed dog end level and square. Which seems to be a lot of filing on these traps. Finally leveled the pan by a little tweaking of the dog post, or whatever it's called. If I was a picture poster this would be easier to just show ya. If you lay one hand flat on top of the other and take a side view that's what I have. Bottom hand being level jaws, top hand being level pan. I hope that helps explain it. LOL!

#521768 - 01/16/08 10:07 AM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: adamj]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Loc: Wy
Adamj can you send pictures through emails? I'm not sure what your saying, but usually you just level the pan by bending the tab that the dog is attached to like what was said earlier.

#521776 - 01/16/08 10:13 AM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: Cattrax]
adamj Offline
trapper

I will get some pics up a little later. Grabbed digital camera and batteries are dead like they always are in those things!

#521794 - 01/16/08 10:29 AM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: adamj]
coongrease Offline
trapper

Loc: Beaver Co. Pa.
Sounds like you got some of those early Dukes.

#521821 - 01/16/08 10:54 AM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: coongrease]
ADC
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: coongrease
Sounds like you got some of those early Dukes.

Exactlly what I was thinking. The pan sits level but is still 3/8" higher than the jaws of the trap. The newer Dukes do not do that. You've got older stock Dukes. No way I know of to change it, however I caught lots of fur in them just as they are. You got two options as I see it, either sell them or learn to live with it. I never really had a problem with mine.

~ADC~

#521837 - 01/16/08 11:08 AM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: ]
adamj Offline
trapper

I actually have never owned one until recently. I received two dozen in a trade and have been trying to play with them enough to get them ready for a water line next year. While digging around most must be the newer style and are not too bad. LOL! But there are a few of the older style that sit real high. Are other brands of pans interchangeable that may take care of this problem? Just a thought. \:\/

#521874 - 01/16/08 11:37 AM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: adamj]
ADC
Unregistered

Like I said Adam, it's not really a problem. They still perform well. I wouldn't worry about it. Not sure on the other pans though. \:\(

~ADC~

#521905 - 01/16/08 12:01 PM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: ]
cohunt Offline
trapper

Loc: revillo, sd
If the problem is the pan is too tall, you could replace them with new pans. If the pan post is too tall, you would be looking at major remodeling and likely not worth that(probably either way).

#522085 - 01/16/08 02:20 PM Re: 1.5 duke coil modding tricks [Re: cohunt]
Dave Plueger Offline
trapper

Loc: Iowa (where the tall corn grow...
For coon I kind of like the old style Dukes better. I get a better pad catch because the coons foot isnt as far into the jaws when the trap fires.

Moderator:  tmrschessie