Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Woods Grown, Wild, Cultivated? #5210588
09/28/15 12:32 PM
09/28/15 12:32 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline OP
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline OP
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
What's the difference? I have been digging ginseng for about thirty years have planted the seeds off the plants I dug plus I bought and planted seeds in the woods. Nothing I ever planted was cultivated or dug up / disked ect. But some soils are different than others and the roots grow big fast. Some soils make for small roots with no feeder roots and others make for just the opposite. So when I take them to sell there are all different shapes and sizes. One Asian buyer I sell to throws out anything with smoother looking roots and they say they are woods grown. Then they throw out the ones with lots of feeder roots and say they are cultivated. I dug one with a neck about 2 1/2'' long this last weekend that I know I did not plant and it has more small feeder roots than most- plus it's was in loamy soil.
Any thoughts on this? Thanks, Larry

Just passin through
Re: Woods Grown, Wild, Cultivated? [Re: Larry Baer] #5210774
09/28/15 03:13 PM
09/28/15 03:13 PM
East Ohio
Jeff Offline
trapper
Jeff  Offline
trapper

East Ohio
Different Ginseng Types Depends on How Its Grown

There are 4 types of ginseng in terms of how they were grown on the market. They are wild ginseng, wild-simulated ginseng, woods-grown ginseng and field cultivated ginseng.

Wild Ginseng
Wild ginseng is sown in natural fashion in suitable ginseng-growing woodlands with natural tree shading and with no disturbance of leaf litter, except to insert the seed. This method does not use pesticides and the product is organic ginseng, but the crop can be harvested selectively over an indefinite period of time with no major cessation of the total ginseng growing area.

Wild-Simulated Ginseng
Cultivated ginseng uses natural tree canopy as shade. Some maintenance is required and intensive cultivation methods may be used to maximize yields in minimal time. The general process involves removing part of the forest under-story from a certain plot, raking away leaf litter, sowing ginseng seed on the scratched surface, and raking back leaf litter. This method usually does not use pesticides and the product is organic ginseng. Prices could approach those of wild ginseng.

Woods-Grown Ginseng
Woods-grown ginseng is raised under natural tree canopy in forest lands. Some maintenance is required and intensive cultivation methods may be used to maximum yields in minimal time. Investment costs are less than field cultivated Ginseng and applications of pesticides and fertilizers are sometimes less, but the product is not organic. The market price is higher than field-grown ginseng, but not near that of wild ginseng or wild-simulated ginseng.

Field Cultivated Ginseng
Field cultivated ginseng are plants grown under artificial shade but requiring a large investment of time, money and equipment. Labor may run at $30,000+ per acre and gross returns of $100,000+ after four years -- but this figure is subject to fluctuating market prices of this lowest grade of ginseng. These cultivated fields are subject to mold and other plant diseases so commercial chemical pesticide treatment is the ordinary practice. This product is not organic.

These 4 types of ginsengs are divided into 6 different, distinctive perspectives below.

Wild Ginseng Wild-Simulated Woods-Grown Field Cultilvated
Origin Natuarrally occurred seeds and rootlets planted seeds and rootlets planted seeds and rootlets planted
Habitat
Within natural range, in suitable ginseng habitat

Within natural range, in suitable ginseng habitat

Grown in woods similar to natural habitat
Grown in fields with artificial shade
Cultivation None planting of seeds and rootlets only
When planted, build raised beds for drainage
Intensive human cultivation

Fungicide
None None Extensive Extensive
Harvest Method Dug by hand Dug by hand Dug by machine Dug by machine
Price(Grade) Highest High Medium Low

Speedy Catch Wildlife Service

Member OSTA-NTA-NRA

Re: Woods Grown, Wild, Cultivated? [Re: Larry Baer] #5210871
09/28/15 04:52 PM
09/28/15 04:52 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline OP
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline OP
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Wow- I had no idea.
So when someone I am selling ginseng to looks over my 100 roots and they pull out ten and say these are cultivated and then pull out ten more and say those are woods grown it must be like fur in the sense that if it has a certain look to it - that will be the grade?
OR
Is it just someone trying to buy it for less? It looks like if you are growing field cultivated or woods grown you would have a lot to sell at one time.

Just passin through
Re: Woods Grown, Wild, Cultivated? [Re: Larry Baer] #5211923
09/29/15 12:28 PM
09/29/15 12:28 PM
NW WI
schweg2 Offline
trapper
schweg2  Offline
trapper

NW WI
Was planning on buying some ginseng seed myself and give it a go.
Anybody know of a reputable seed supplier?

Thanks much

Re: Woods Grown, Wild, Cultivated? [Re: Larry Baer] #5212080
09/29/15 02:50 PM
09/29/15 02:50 PM
claysville, pa
imiller Offline
trapper
imiller  Offline
trapper

claysville, pa
schweg, theres a guy on the trap shed that sells seed. i bought some off him to try this year, but i have no clue if its good or not just yet ha.

Re: Woods Grown, Wild, Cultivated? [Re: Larry Baer] #5212274
09/29/15 05:48 PM
09/29/15 05:48 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline OP
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline OP
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
I got some from a company called Glacial Gold in Michigan. It has always sprouted well.

Just passin through
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread