ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Pacific Northwest Predators #5195178
09/14/15 01:39 AM
09/14/15 01:39 AM
Washington
T
Treedogger Offline OP
trapper
Treedogger  Offline OP
trapper
T

Washington
Alright... Lifetime hunter from Montana here and I recently relocated to SW Washington. My current passion is running coonhounds and due to the fact that Washington has been taken over by idiots I cannot do much with my hounds besides the occasional trip to Idaho or Montana. That being said, I know the predator numbers are going to be in favor of the trapper because there are just not that many in my neck of the woods or so I believe at this time. So I'm gonna start trapping and teach my kids because just in the coons I have had to trap to train dogs I had a ball. Also because I love the outdoors and the tradition of our ancestors. I have to start small because I obviously have a full time job and kids and the whole bit so I can't dedicate hundreds of hours to this at this time. So maybe a dozen traps or so. What I need a little help with is baseline products. First a recommendation of good reliable/easy foothold traps that will work for the wet climate and would be good for a newcomer to start with. Coon,coyote, & bobcat is what I will target to start so sizes for those animals. The other recommendation I would appreciate is a few lures or baits you would suggest for the animals targeted and climate they will be set in. Obviously there are so many I don't know where to start. So if possible 2 or 3 that you would not go without for these animals is what I'm looking for. If this thread produces a hundred lures its not doing much good. So just a no doubt proven product for a wet rainforest like climate will be great! If there are any trappers on here that are in my area it would be great to connect with you. I am not here to invade your territory but want to learn the ways. I am resourceful and will always put in my own work and boot time. I also return to Montana every year for elk and deer in which I am usually very successful. Would love to make new hunting/trapping friends in the area if possible. Thanks for any help, Joel

Re: Pacific Northwest Predators [Re: Treedogger] #5195183
09/14/15 01:48 AM
09/14/15 01:48 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Hey Joel,

Just a quick note, check into the regulations in Washington state for trap gear. Very different from MT.

Start here for some quick info...

http://www.watrappers.com/faqs.html

Also not sure if you are talking nuisance wildlife which is what this forum is about, if you are talking fur trapping and recreational harvest you'd be better served by opening this topic in the "trap talk" section of this trapperman forum, and you'll get some folks from WA state who can clearly spell out what is legal and what isn't anymore.

Hope this helps,

Justin

Re: Pacific Northwest Predators [Re: Treedogger] #5195186
09/14/15 01:50 AM
09/14/15 01:50 AM
Washington
T
Treedogger Offline OP
trapper
Treedogger  Offline OP
trapper
T

Washington
Good feedback Justin thank you!

Re: Pacific Northwest Predators [Re: Treedogger] #5196810
09/15/15 02:12 PM
09/15/15 02:12 PM
Thurston Co, WA
F
fatslinger Offline
trapper
fatslinger  Offline
trapper
F

Thurston Co, WA
Look at Huntingwashington.com forum. Cage traps are bulky and not ideal, but folks in WA have managed to make them productive. Also, there is a Trapper Education class at Cabelas in Lacey on Dec.5. If you don't already have your Trapping License, this would be a good start. In the class we talk about different trap set-ups and supplies to get.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread