Land Trapping Archive

Home ~ Mission Statement ~ Trap Talk ~ ADC Forum ~ Trap Shed ~ Trap Chat
Trapper Tips ~ Links ~ Gallery ~ Basic Sets ~ Convention Calendar ~ Trapper's Humor
Fur Buyers Directory ~ Trapper's Tales ~ Words From The Past ~ Legends ~ Archives~Lure Formulator Forum
~Catalog~

Topic Options
Hop to:
#518606 - 01/14/08 09:50 AM Pine Marten help
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Loc: Wy
I just set out some pine marten traps ans was wondering if anyone could post a picture of some pine marten tracks in the snow, we found a lot of tracks but not sure if they are pine marten or not.

#518618 - 01/14/08 10:03 AM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: Cattrax]
Taximan Offline
trapper

Loc: SW Montana
I don't have any pictures but martens bound like other members of the weasel family and you will see a pair of tracks then another pair and another.I think the spacing would be roughly 2' apart.Tracks would be about 1" or a little more in diameter.What really tips you off to a member of the weasel family is that one foot in the pair of tracks will be ahead of the other,not directly side by side and each pair will be the same ie. the right foot ahead of the left in every pair or the left one ahead in every pair.With red squirrel tracks,the two hind feet hit side by side most of the time and usually you see the front foot tracks just behind the rear ones.The members of the weasel family usually hit the hind foot tracks over the fronts so you only see a pair of tracks,not 4.

#518676 - 01/14/08 11:14 AM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: Taximan]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Taximan thanks for the help, I knew how they traveled but wasn't sure what they looked like in deep snow, but I googled it and found pictures of tracks in shallow snow and deep snow both, looks like I am trapping on sign from what I seen.

Thanks again

#518749 - 01/14/08 12:33 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: Cattrax]
2poor Online   content

Loc: Lake Mille Lacs , MN
They got one heck of a lot of fur on there feet.
The tracks will show feathers from the fur most often.

I do not have a track picture from a Marten available.

It is a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job !

http://mooseriverlures.com/

#518754 - 01/14/08 12:35 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: 2poor]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Thanks 2poor you and wheelers have been a great deal of help to me already, along with white17 also. Thanks guys

#518758 - 01/14/08 12:39 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: 2poor]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
Check this out -

http://dirttime.ws/Notebook/PineMarten.htm

Not sure if it is what you are looking for or not.

The one thing I do know is that marten tracks are a LOT smaller than cat tracks!!! LOL

#518769 - 01/14/08 12:46 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: wissmiss]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Its funny you should say that about the cat tracks, cause the one set of tracks I seen I thought they were cat tracks until I got up to them and looked at them, turn out I think they were marten tracks doing the hopping thing through the deep snow, we will see in a few days here.

But just so you know Nancy I did find some cat tracks while up setting marten traps!!! So HA! LMAO

#518772 - 01/14/08 12:49 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: Cattrax]
wissmiss Offline

Loc: north Idaho
What I don't understand is WHY are you trapping 30.00 marten when you could be trapping 300.00 cats??????

Something just isn't right here!!!

#518775 - 01/14/08 12:50 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: wissmiss]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

I been told that A LOT!!! LMAO

I am still trapping the cats too, just got to try something new now and again, heck I am even going to try and trap beaver this year!! LOL

#518818 - 01/14/08 01:33 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: Cattrax]
Hupurest
Unregistered

here ya go Mr. Trax http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/32032/fpart/1

they do not always "hop" along.. alot of times they will walk, and in the deep snow they plow a trough.

they are usually 2X2 and off set, but in deep snow they leave marks about 18-24"..

I will take some pics for ya.

#518831 - 01/14/08 01:39 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: ]
Cattrax Offline
trapper

Thanks Hupurest I have that one on my watched topics now, I can see why that one was achived, a lot of good info in that one.

#518937 - 01/14/08 02:26 PM Re: Pine Marten help [Re: Cattrax]
phutch30 Offline
trapper

Loc: SW MT
If your martin are like ours They are kind of hard to catch this time of year. They just seem to ignore sets or worst check them out but dont commit. Dec is the best month followed distantly by Feb.

Moderator:  tmrschessie