ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver pros. ??? #5179927
08/31/15 11:37 PM
08/31/15 11:37 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I just got another beaver contract and this location is very different from any others I have done It does not have any dams, and no wood lodge. It is a six acre pond that has a stream coming in on the east end with a man made dam on the west end. All mature woods on the south shore with at least 8 old caved in bank dens. The north bank is bare of any vegetation as it has been excavated recently

It is a Lilly pad pond. Eight feet deep. The owner "thinks there is only two beavers". I told him not likely. He has only owned it for two years so he had no idea on history of the besvers there.

There is still excavation happening at location including tomorrow the contractor is removing the east side culvert and building a bridge that will span 12 feet across the stream

There are three slides on the West Bank that are obvious. To west is brush an swamp that is going down a earthen dam that goes to the outlet creek that had no dams.

My thoughts are drowning rigs at the slides. Drowning rigs in front of a couple "càstor mounds". And some 330 in any channels I can locate in streams.

Setting it tomorrow late afternoon. Any suggestions welcome

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5179960
09/01/15 12:35 AM
09/01/15 12:35 AM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
First I would put a piece of fresh poplar ..but peel it a bit at the top for eye appeal and odor...and shove it into the waters edge...if it's gone the next day....you have beaver to catch. And set some 330's at the waters edge...1/2 submerged or whatever you state says with a dive pole over the top of the trap ...then a stink stick with some of Bob Wilsons Green Beaver Lure on it about 8 inches behind the trap . quick and simple....I'll draw yah a picture if yah need one . Good luck on those flat tails

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5180392
09/01/15 01:19 PM
09/01/15 01:19 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline
trapper
Hutchy  Offline
trapper
H

On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
I trap a lot of ponds like this. Any way to find where they are living? Easiest way is to find the bank hole. Two traps, two checks. Maybe set a coni in a few of those old houses that look like they are dead.

I would be careful with using too much Bob wilsons right off the bat. I have found that on open water, it attracts beaver like a magnet, but in a pond with already established territories, it can scare beaver super fast.

I would right away put a conibear in that stream. Chances are they will be traveling down it at some point. Just dont put any lure beyond the trap. I have had a job shut off fast when a beaver is caught, and there is scent beyongd the trap. I figure the remaining beaver now associates the lure with a dead beaver, and you will shoot yourself in the foot.

If you get the first beaver, and only think there is one other, wait a few days, then use the castor from the first beaver to lure in the second. Dont be shy with the castor either if you use it from the first one.

Last edited by Hutchy; 09/01/15 01:27 PM.
Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5180418
09/01/15 01:38 PM
09/01/15 01:38 PM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Why don't you use some suitcase style traps or a square beaver cage traps.... sounds like you are getting a lot of headaches from all these footholds and 330's....

Joe Robidoux
Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5180533
09/01/15 04:17 PM
09/01/15 04:17 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
What Hutchy said. I have never had a problem on ponds like you describe. Don't overthink it. Two Conlbears, two beaver, collect check,

but don't forget to ask if you should come back next year and check for new ones. Some beavers like to live in pre-owned dens.

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 09/01/15 04:17 PM.
Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5180593
09/01/15 04:57 PM
09/01/15 04:57 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
If all goes well and there is a pair you can often do the job in 12 hours. I go in at dark, set two swim through cages side by side, (a few inches apart) in just over a foot of water so they are just under. Either narrow a spot or find one a spot about 4 feet wide. Put castor on the bank and a little at the waters edge. That's it. Very often you will have both in the morning. You can also put 660 or 330 conibears on top half in and half out. Of course snares will do it, just need to make sure they don't tangle up. Cages are faster, not dangerous.

Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5181076
09/01/15 10:24 PM
09/01/15 10:24 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
never had a problem with Bob Wilsons anywhere......there is no such thing as a smart beaver...it's a rodent !! But there are dumb trappers.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Nessmuck] #5181144
09/01/15 11:00 PM
09/01/15 11:00 PM
Arkansas
A
AR Swampboss Offline
trapper
AR Swampboss  Offline
trapper
A

Arkansas
Originally Posted By: Nessmuck
never had a problem with Bob Wilsons anywhere......there is no such thing as a smart beaver...it's a rodent !! But there are dumb trappers.

Its more like a Dumb trapper will make an EDUCATED beaver

Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5181691
09/02/15 02:20 PM
09/02/15 02:20 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Sorry go to all of your guys advise after I set. (Ended up stating at 10:00am yesterday). So I had to go with what has worked in the past for me. Put 4 conies in front of den holes and 5 droning rigs Put beaver oil in front of one drowner (oil from beaver I took last winter) and commercial beaver lure in front of the other four on castor mounds

Below is what awaited me this morning

The 43lbs was in drowner that had oil

The 27lbs and 17lbs were on drowners with castor mounds

No other traps tripped

The picture of the foot is the big ones , it was only held on by a little skin as the toe was complete broke off and webbing ripped

Thx

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5181720
09/02/15 02:41 PM
09/02/15 02:41 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
See, I told you those ponds are fun! I've had a few of those toe-holds myself, which is why I use two footholds on every drowning rig.

Re: Beaver pros. ??? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5200680
09/18/15 10:26 PM
09/18/15 10:26 PM
Alabama
2ndjoborfun Offline
trapper
2ndjoborfun  Offline
trapper

Alabama
Another insightful thread!

Thanks,
2nd

“In God is our trust!” And the star-span-gled ban-ner in tri-umph shall wave O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Francis Key
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread