ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5169552
08/23/15 10:26 AM
08/23/15 10:26 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
My son used his face to draw some yellow jackets out of an air vent. I'm glad he dropped by for some Benadryl. He looks really cool

with a swollen face and big red ears.

Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5171137
08/24/15 04:03 PM
08/24/15 04:03 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Hey, whatever works! LOL

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5172869
08/25/15 10:36 PM
08/25/15 10:36 PM
MarsHill,NC
V
Vincenator Offline
trapper
Vincenator  Offline
trapper
V

MarsHill,NC
Wow! All i use is Appicide.A powder,my product of choice,AI being carbal,sevin dust.Quicker than pyrethiens.I ont use a bee suit,dont care for them.Do them as I get the call,dont have to wait till night.So far this season 47 yellow jacket nests,3stings.Took my grandson out this afternoon to a friend of my wifes house.In ground nest,2 entrances dusted them both,then stepped back to watch the carnage!
For the above ground nests I use ice tubbing on the end of bulb duster,supported by bamboo rod.Tubbing tapped to rod.
Used to use the pro control plus on a extension pole.

Every day is good,some are just better!
Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: Vincenator] #5173027
08/26/15 06:16 AM
08/26/15 06:16 AM
Morgantown, WV
D
Dfabs Offline
trapper
Dfabs  Offline
trapper
D

Morgantown, WV
Sevin dust is what we use and it works pretty good.

Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5174208
08/26/15 10:50 PM
08/26/15 10:50 PM
OBX N.C.
Leary Sink Offline
trapper
Leary Sink  Offline
trapper

OBX N.C.
I got a call yesterday from a local pest control company I get ADC referrals from about yellowjackets in a wall of a house. They know I do honeybee cut outs.
I met the tech and the homeowner and listened to them buzzing in a closet ceiling. I don't know what the tech sprayed in the hole they were going in and out of but she sure put the smack down on them quick. It was something with perytherin in it. She dropped them like a bad habit. It looked like they were trying to drag larve out after 2-3 minutes but they were falling out dead.
It really warmed my heart as many times as they have lit me up stumbling through the woods.

The tech had asked me what I thought would be the best method to get them out of the wall space. You should of seen the look on the techs face when I told them they were'nt honeybees. A can of gas and a match would have been my first choice.
The homeowner fell out laughing.

Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5174243
08/26/15 11:14 PM
08/26/15 11:14 PM
Winnsboro, Louisiana
crow1971 Offline
trapper
crow1971  Offline
trapper

Winnsboro, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: traprjohn
My preacher just called me and has a hornet nest on a thumb sized sapling ONLY A FOOT OFF THE GROUND. Its in a small woodlot full of leaves and other flammables.

Soooo, spraying from underneath AT NIGHT is outa the question...I'm thinking.

I'm considering, at night:

1)Have cardboard box handy

2)Lopper cut sapling just below opening while grabbing (gently) above nest

3)Lopper cut just above nest--dropping it into box--while the lopper guy is spraying the nest as soon as it lands inside the box.

OR OR OR

1)friend shines light from safe distance and 90* to the side

2)cut open nest while spraying simultaneously

CAN I SMOKE THEM OUT ???????

CHOOT EM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knowledge isn't complete until it's passed on. But, the knowledge that's passed on must be complete.
Can't rain all the time!
Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5192055
09/11/15 03:33 AM
09/11/15 03:33 AM
texas
Q
quiti1 Offline
trapper
quiti1  Offline
trapper
Q

texas
Well if the landowner wasn't in a hurry to get rid of'em, wait till your first frost, and you can cut the nest down leavin some of the limb's that it is made on, then put it in a garbage sack give it a good dose of hornet spray and tie the bag closed, put it in another bag to be sure and then take it somewere warm and leave it overnight, next day take it outside and open it up and empty the dead guys out, then take pictures of it and puttem on e-bay, wont be long you'll be stickin some cash in your pocket, around here that nest should bring 300 bucks easy, make sure to leave 10 inches or more of the limbs it's built on,i work in the woods logging and i see a few and that's wat i do,,also whatever spray you use, test spray a little spot on the entrance hole to make sure the type of spray doesn't dissolve the nest, easy money,,,,remember good freeze and good spray, and warm place overnite, and open bag outside====money

Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5192424
09/11/15 01:35 PM
09/11/15 01:35 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
What ever happened, how'd it turn out?

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5212999
09/30/15 08:05 AM
09/30/15 08:05 AM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline OP
trapper
traprjohn  Offline OP
trapper
T

Central NC
Well, he called me bout a week ago and said something ripped the nest to shreds, so I don't get to crawl up to it in the dark after all.

I told him it was probably a skunk.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: Basketball size hornet nest?..HELP ! [Re: traprjohn] #5219401
10/05/15 04:54 PM
10/05/15 04:54 PM
Montana. Lincoln county
T
Trapper1960 Offline
trapper
Trapper1960  Offline
trapper
T

Montana. Lincoln county
Wait for the first cold snap at night " bees " don't fly at night "and cut all branches from around the nest . Put on a pair of gloves and pick it up slowly and carefully . Put in the box and secure the lid . Drill a small hope in an upper corner just big enough that you can insert the hose from wasp spray . Spray entire can into box wait 15 min and remove lid clean bees out . Spray with hairspray to protect then and keep thier shape . Hang it in your man cave or sell it to your taxidermy man ! make a couple bucks . PS After it gets cool and only at night . My momma always said a word to the wise was sufficient ! I have several and I have yet to be stung ! Don't drink 4 or 5 beers and get superman on it or the out come will be much different ! Good luck

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread