Lures, Bait and Urine Archive

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Catalog~

Print Thread
Hop To
Re: Coon, Muskrat, and Mink Home Made Lure Recipes???? [Re: ] #51679
01/22/07 08:03 PM
01/22/07 08:03 PM
NW Ohio
C
cj's trapping Offline
trapper
cj's trapping  Offline
trapper
C

NW Ohio
If you target these critters in the water, you shouldn't have a problem with dogs. Muskrat glands and meat ground up and mixed with a bit of glycerin and preservative make a good mink lure, not sure how you would incorporate that into the vasaline???maybe by reducing and mixing? Anise oil, or any fish oil product will work well for coon. Never used bait or lure for muskrats...sorry.

Re: Coon, Muskrat, and Mink Home Made Lure Recipes???? [Re: ] #52336
01/23/07 12:41 AM
01/23/07 12:41 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Anise oil, banana oil, sweetflag oil, mint oil. 1 oz. in a large container of vaseline.

Re: Coon, Muskrat, and Mink Home Made Lure Recipes???? [Re: ] #52362
01/23/07 01:38 AM
01/23/07 01:38 AM
Connecticut
C
CTtrapper Offline
trapper
CTtrapper  Offline
trapper
C

Connecticut
http://www.angelfire.com/mi2/scents1/index.html

http://mdc.mo.gov/landown/wild/nuisance/trapping/lures/

The New Brunswick Trappers and Fur Takers Federation site used to have a page with some good recipes, but it's gone..Wish I printed it out.

Re: Coon, Muskrat, and Mink Home Made Lure Recipes???? [Re: CTtrapper] #52390
01/23/07 03:33 AM
01/23/07 03:33 AM
Ketchikan, Alaska
S
SE_ALASKAN Offline
trapper
SE_ALASKAN  Offline
trapper
S

Ketchikan, Alaska
i don't know how it is down there but the only thing i use is fresh salmon. well kinda i just save all my scraps and immedialty freeze them from my fishing trips in the summer i find that mink hate tainted bait. I do use salmon oil though that i get from MTP and i just make a line of it starting behind my trap, over the trap then right to the bait. I've watched them and they sniff the oil all the way to the bait and step right in the trap with is great to actually see it work. No trappers use mink lure here and i've tried a bunch with no resualts the salmon and salmon oil always gets them so if there is a good mink lure out ther i havent found it and i've used alot. thats just what i've found and i usually do pretty good right around 50-100 a year.

Re: Coon, Muskrat, and Mink Home Made Lure Recipes???? [Re: SE_ALASKAN] #52609
01/23/07 11:22 AM
01/23/07 11:22 AM
Tarentum Pa.
L
Lunch with monk Offline
trapper
Lunch with monk  Offline
trapper
L

Tarentum Pa.
I,ve always just used fresh muskrat meat in pockets. Works great for all 3. If you want to spice it up a little, throw in some weasel meat or fox lure. For muskrat and coon slice some apples and put in a few drops of speariment.

The metal butcher
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91