ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bat guys? #5167223
08/21/15 05:20 AM
08/21/15 05:20 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I did a red squirrel job and the catch rate went to zero, the property owner (it's at a rental) did check with renter to see if the night time activity in the attic had stopped. So I stopped by and talked to renter and she says now sounds now since I finished trapping. So I'm getting ready to measure area where a hole is so I can make a cover to block it and before I head up the ladder a bat flies out if the hole and then three more

Question is, would the bats and red squirrels live together or did the bats likely move in while I wàited on owners to confirm no mordant squirrels

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Bat guys? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5167232
08/21/15 05:45 AM
08/21/15 05:45 AM
rhode island
R
ritrapper Offline
trapper
ritrapper  Offline
trapper
R

rhode island
Because red squirrels are mostly diurnal I would say the "night time activity" was the bats not the squirrels.

Steve Rouleau
New England Wildlife

http://newildlifesolutions.com/
401-330-8168

Re: Bat guys? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5167237
08/21/15 06:16 AM
08/21/15 06:16 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Every red squirrel job I've done started with complaints at night of activity in attic and it walls, and in each project when I could no longer catch squirrels the activity had completely ceased.

I will say this is also the case at my own house, the first time in 26 years of living here I had a chewing sound a night and after capturing a single red squirrel it ceased

Re: Bat guys? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5167325
08/21/15 07:59 AM
08/21/15 07:59 AM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
More than likely the bats were already there. Check to see how much bat droppings there is in the attic.

Re: Bat guys? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5167328
08/21/15 08:01 AM
08/21/15 08:01 AM
massachusetts
S
swampdonkey Offline
trapper
swampdonkey  Offline
trapper
S

massachusetts
Why wouldn't and why couldn't they be in there...Around here Bats and Squirrels (flyers) seem to go together quite a bit. Chewing noises could be from mice and up ...Nocturnal...

Joe Robidoux
Re: Bat guys? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5167484
08/21/15 11:10 AM
08/21/15 11:10 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
No attic to access, it is an A-frame house. The hole is right at the top where the two facial boards meet, I do plan on going up and looking in with a super bright flashlight Bu there is a wasp hive two feet away down lower In The soffit so I got to wait until I kill them all off ( they are not dying off very easy)

Re: Bat guys? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5167579
08/21/15 01:14 PM
08/21/15 01:14 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I'll take another approach on this MI Trapping - since you now confirmed bats flew out, you at the least have a potential bat issue (depends on if the client thinks its an issue) that stands in the way
of sealing the holes as you were planning to for the squirrel issue.

A hole right at the peak where two fascia boards meet is a great spot, mostly in my country it isn't the large colony location, but a good spot for smaller colony or a few solo bats. Depends on how much recess or space they can reach.

Anyway, you now have documented bats, so you I assume are having a bat conversation with the clients whether the sounds were from the squirrels or the bats.

Related to the squirrels, you mentioned the catch rate went to zero, was this up on the roof, down in the landscape or other and did the hole in the fascia look like one gnawed by the squirrels are a construction gap or defect or woodpecker damage or other?

Just questions, either way again, you've got bats.....

I'm assuming you are trying to confirm if the squirrels were the noise so you know if she isn't hearing noise you are done squirrel trapping and just have the bats within the area to work with.

Justin

Re: Bat guys? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5167614
08/21/15 01:52 PM
08/21/15 01:52 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Justin

Squirrels were definitely using hole. Caught all five on deck rail right at bottom edge if A-frame roof. Customer said they run on deck rail, run straight up roof line and into hole. Caught all five right at the point where rail met roof.

Here's a funny twist from thus morning I stopped by to see how hornets were dying and the tenet that is in the basement unit says

. "I don't think you got all the squirrels yet, I heard some the other day in the wall".

The walls are block walls on all four sides of his unit.

Anyway, I'm sure the squirrels are all gone, I'm going to put a BATCONE over the hole (hole is round and chewed open) and let it rest while the bats leave. And then close it up

Re: Bat guys? [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5167621
08/21/15 01:59 PM
08/21/15 01:59 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Originally Posted By: Michigan Trappin
Anyway, I'm sure the squirrels are all gone, I'm going to put a BATCONE over the hole (hole is round and chewed open) and let it rest while the bats leave. And then close it up

Sounds sensible!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread