ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
First bat call #5163684
08/18/15 12:20 AM
08/18/15 12:20 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
So, I'm still in the process of getting my name out there, but was pleasantly surprised with my first bat call today. Homeowner has had two bats in the house in the last three weeks, and the wife had to be vaccinated for rabies, so they are ready to have something done about it. I have read the manual on bat control which was required to pass my NWCO test, and have read everything in the archives, as well as what you guys post, but this will be my first foray into this area of wildlife control. Although, very excited, I'm also apprehensive about finding where they are coming from, as well as how they're entering the living quarters. Tomorrow will just be a paid inspection, and of course depending on what I find, I will put together an estimate on excluding the bats and sealing the home, as well as any cleanup work if necessary.

I assume it's probably still a little early for excluding bats in my state, correct? Our regs, which are based on New York study materials, recommend mid September. I am kind of curious as to if there may be a colony in the attic and the two home invaders may have been pups.

Anyway, I plan on starting outside and doing a thorough inspection, looking for any obvious signs of entry/exit, then going into the attic, and first without the use of any light, look for any signs of daylight filtering through, as well as looking for entry points into the living quarters from the attic. Will keep shutters in mind per the previous thread on here. She also mentioned they have a fireplace, so will check for no chimney cap, and open dampers. I know I'm posting this a little late, as I will head over there early in the AM, but does anyone have any recommendations?

Should also mention I will be attending WCT's short training course on bats coming up in September, so I realize further training is essential to success in this field. Thanks for any responses.

Re: First bat call [Re: _fletch_] #5163702
08/18/15 01:22 AM
08/18/15 01:22 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Don't got much to help. I am receiving my training on my first house tomorrow with Get Bats Out. I just partnered with them and I think it's going to be a good deal.

Re: First bat call [Re: _fletch_] #5163710
08/18/15 01:50 AM
08/18/15 01:50 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
I started 22 days ago???????????//

I Have watched the entire population of (low estimate) 1200 move in a single night,,,(were did they go?) (of island and to coastal areas)

I watched 700 plus arrive at a house on the mainland.........

Witness 3 fling out of a hole in the rock work.......
All within the last 30 days..................
SSSSSSSSSssssssssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooooo,,,,,,,,,It aint rite in stone...............

I think my dads goon crazy................

Last edited by Vinke; 08/18/15 02:10 AM. Reason: Dave K big kiss

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: First bat call [Re: _fletch_] #5163817
08/18/15 08:12 AM
08/18/15 08:12 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Important Fletch that tou get local knowledge of maternity seasons. This is locally, regionally varied widely depending on where you are.

In terms of the rest, first one make sure you take more photos and more notes than you think you'll need.

Photos to me are most helpful when you are learning about obstacles to access equipment (didn't see that obstacle and now I'm on site with a ladder or lift or other...and can't proceed).

In terms of bats. You are on a structural defect hunt. Just take your time and look closely at every thing you can whether you think insignificant or not.

PM sent too...

Justin

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread