ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5153061
08/09/15 10:35 AM
08/09/15 10:35 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
More info on Trapper Talk, "Wi Beaver Logic."

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5153095
08/09/15 11:17 AM
08/09/15 11:17 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Thanks for the info guys. Who would have ever guessed that beaver went from being carefully protected to wholesale slaughter? I would

have thought that this would have made a very interesting story for some sports writer. Since we never had any beaver in this area to

begin with, I really don't miss them. I'm not sure of the benefits of beaver but I've seen the destruction. I'm guessing that the

protection of the trout streams accounts for the DNR's extermination of northern Wisconsin beaver. I don't know of anyone besides

companies like ours that are paid for removing beaver down here.

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5153454
08/09/15 04:33 PM
08/09/15 04:33 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
On the other hand, take a drive on the Mass. Pike, beaver everywhere. The state is loaded in many areas and only a couple dozen licensed trappers in the whole state. There was a bill to get back conibears but don't know if it passed or came up for a vote? Even if they get conibears back, don't know how many would get all wound up about catching them at the low prices. I handed some to a dealer last year who put them up, got $9. Dealer said he only lost a dollar on them.

It is surely a shame to eradicate the species as was done, far fewer wetlands, fewer otter and everything that depends either entirely or partially on ponds.

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5153505
08/09/15 05:25 PM
08/09/15 05:25 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I don't know about northern Wisconsin but down here you can't build a group of houses or even a single large home without a pond

being dug first. I can't imagine why that is so fashionable, but I love it. We get called for mosquito sprays, goose eviction,

muskrat removal, snapping turtles, raccoons, and the occasional beaver. The honking alone would be enough to keep me from ever

digging a pond. Thank goodness they're not a lot of people like me around here. The grass is manicured right down to the water. You

don't usually even need boots to trap the muskrats. We have more wildlife now than when this was all farmland.

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5153884
08/09/15 10:37 PM
08/09/15 10:37 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I don't know why they think beaver are bad for trout.
Our streams are just polluted with trout,and they need the beaver dams,and old feedbeds and dams for the small trout to brood.
If there was no beaver there would be very few trout.
They sound like idiots.

Last edited by Boco; 08/09/15 10:37 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5153956
08/09/15 11:28 PM
08/09/15 11:28 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Boco, I don't fish and I don't really know enough about the beaver's effect on trout streams. So I went on-line and asked if beaver

were bad or good for trout streams. Seems like opinions are split right down the middle. I would imagine that different species of

trout would also react differently but I don't know that for a fact. What I do enjoy is learning all of this new information. I'm

glad that I'm in this business. New things to think about daily.

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5153962
08/09/15 11:30 PM
08/09/15 11:30 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
We have brook trout here,and lake trout.Some rainbows and splake stocked in certain lakes.
We also have some aurora trout a bit south of here.They are a type of brook trout.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5154118
08/10/15 08:24 AM
08/10/15 08:24 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Well no beavers Friday morning no sign if repair attempts Trail camera only got deer and birds on it. Was out of town for the weekend so I pulled traps, left camera and will check tonight for repairs and reset if required

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5154156
08/10/15 09:02 AM
08/10/15 09:02 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Probably a good thing to pull for now. I am far less hesitant to pull. You can waste trips by pulling early, but waste as many by hanging in there too long. I wrote a bunch on that for Trappers Post, 2 part. It sort of becomes second nature, intuitive response based on principles.

Hey Boco, "polluted with trout" sounds really great. How do I get there? I would love to fish for some brookies. Not much here. We fished the Kenai in Alaska in 84, 85 and 89 for the entire summer, got spoiled. Too many people fishing here, too few fish. Got used to catching, hard to go back. Down here they crossed a Coho with an Atlantic and a Muskie, called it a Coalski, did very well, only thing, they couldn't teach it how to swim.

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5154187
08/10/15 09:41 AM
08/10/15 09:41 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Navigating nonresident regulations can be more than a bit tricky as you need to look at more than just if there is a nonresident license. This is true whether you are doing recreational trapping or trying to start a company in another state.

Here is how I approach it for both avenues:

1) what is considered a fur bearing animal vs. a game animal (i.e., is a coyote a fur bearing animal or a game animal, what about squirrels, etc.)
2) are there nuisance rules to follow, are the rules the trapping regulations, or both (i.e., do you need to test, have hunter/trapping education proof, types of traps, identification, dispatch, trap check, etc.)
3) is there a nonresident trapping license available and do you need a nonresident hunting license as well (Ohio requires both hunting and trapping license for nonresidents, but for nuisance work you need the commercial nuisance wild animal control license)
4) how do you purchase the nonresident license(s) (some places are Internet while others have a specific office(s) you must go to in person)
5) are there any additional requirements (i.e., Georgia requires a $2,500 cashier check or surety bond before you apply for a nonresident trapping license)
6) what are the reciprocity rules (i.e., if you can't trap beaver in Montana then a Montana resident cannot trap beaver in your state, etc.)
7) do I need an office/agent in the state I'm looking at
8) do I need any other special permits (i.e., wildlife area fee, atv fee, fire arm permit, etc.)
9) what are the concealed carry rules
10) others based on what the answers to the above questions may be.

Like I said, this can get confusing as you may be able to trap skunks, opossum, badgers, coyote, and raccoon under a hunting license but to take muskrats, mink, river otter, beaver, or bobcat requires a fur tapping license and if you plan on doing bat work or squirrel removal you may need a special nuisance license. This can also affect what species you are able to deal with as a business or force you to "hire" someone who doesn't have the same restrictions.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5155303
08/11/15 08:06 AM
08/11/15 08:06 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Revisited site last night, no work on dam and no beaver on camera (a nice 8pt buck though). I had told the owner there had to be another dam "down stream" This is actually swamps that drain only during high water. He found a dam in a deep ravine that has completely stopped water flow, he says normally this ravine is dry. Dam is about two feet high. So the plan is:

About 30 yards up the ravine I am going to build a Dunnier panel system and break this dam. The ravine has step sides and the width is about 15 feet at water level. This dam is about 300 yards from original dam I worked at and is maintaining the water level all the way back to the original dam

I will try to remember to photo/document this project

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 08/11/15 08:09 AM.

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5156283
08/11/15 09:19 PM
08/11/15 09:19 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Set up the Dunnier Panel system tonight, four 330's It was exactly 80 steps from where I parked , a little rough getting down into ravine but not to bad. Was really surprised how fast it was less than an hour from start to the time I got back in my truck.

Pictures below show dam completely blocking the water up into the ravine. Dry as a none on the "down stream" Side

The other picture is from between the dam and the panel system looking into the swamp. The system is 30 yards from the dam, also not pictured between the panel system and the dam is a large log that has two spots that the beavers are going under so I put two additional 330's there, so if any get by panels

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5156427
08/11/15 10:36 PM
08/11/15 10:36 PM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline
trapper
_fletch_  Offline
trapper
_

South Dakota
Forgive my ignorance, but why the panel system? Aside from the two spots where they're going under the logs, are there no slides or trails entering the swamp anywhere?

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5156608
08/12/15 02:37 AM
08/12/15 02:37 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Quote:
Dunnier Panel system

I always called it the usda sunday set..........

Sticks work also for dumb beaver..../??

Last edited by Vinke; 08/12/15 03:16 AM. Reason: edited to to too then to also for my Dave K. sppd! Also had to add a s to stick

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale……………
Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: _fletch_] #5156641
08/12/15 06:28 AM
08/12/15 06:28 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: _fletch_
Forgive my ignorance, but why the panel system? Aside from the two spots where they're going under the logs, are there no slides or trails entering the swamp anywhere?

Speed in removal of entire family, they are flooding farmers field. The goal here is complete removal as quickly as possible

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5156740
08/12/15 08:58 AM
08/12/15 08:58 AM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
As mentioned, the natural diver deadman trees up stream will push them to the bottom. You want to cover the whole creek and do it quickly. Two, three or four cages on the bottom, depending on width, set side by side would cover the whole creek in a matter of a couple of minutes, just by setting and dropping them in, to do the same as the fencing above. Nothing wrong with the fence or many other methods, just that cages are quicker, no fence, no supports or staking, no wiring, nothing, set, drop and go.

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Jim Comstock] #5156791
08/12/15 09:59 AM
08/12/15 09:59 AM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
As mentioned, the natural diver deadman trees up stream will push them to the bottom. You want to cover the whole creek and do it quickly. Two, three or four cages on the bottom, depending on width, set side by side would cover the whole creek in a matter of a couple of minutes, just by setting and dropping them in, to do the same as the fencing above. Nothing wrong with the fence or many other methods, just that cages are quicker, no fence, no supports or staking, no wiring, nothing, set, drop and go.

For swim thru sets with cages you could spend up to 1000$ and the turtles set them off that night. If you have all methods available for use in shallow water, conibears work well in natural sets. Use snares or large live walk in cages on the banks or in the waters edge. Koros or other traps that are proven for shallow water baited sets would be good. The more open the better in summer.

If you have far to go it is hard to beat conventional methods when used properly. It could be tough to carry three or four large cage traps. Remember, you have to carry them out when your done.

If you use cages use them as conventional methods, the best trap for the location in relation to other sets.

I know Jeff wrote the book he has and he gave me one, but it is hard to beat natural debris and sticks when setting conibears and snares. Especially in summer.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5156872
08/12/15 11:27 AM
08/12/15 11:27 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline
trapper
_fletch_  Offline
trapper
_

South Dakota
Again, pardon my lack of knowledge on the subject, as I've trapped several beavers for landowners, but don't consider myself a beaver trapper. But the conibears in Michigan's pic are right below the surface, so what keeps them from swimming under them? With the same token, regarding Jim's post, what keeps the beavers from swimming over the cages? Are you all blocking all that off, or just playing the odds that they'll be surface swimming or diving low at some point?

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5157002
08/12/15 01:58 PM
08/12/15 01:58 PM
New York
Jim Comstock Offline
trapper
Jim Comstock  Offline
trapper

New York
Beaver are generally top or bottom swimmers, following the surface or following the bottom, runs. I have done a lot of conibear top setting in the past without fencing, my own set ups. The basic beaver set with conibears is a channel set, set on the bottom at any depth, with or without a diver, cages too, even snares. Beaver swim on top and bottom maybe half and half? If you set a run on the bottom and don't get him going one way you will probably get a shot at him coming the other way as he may pass the same point several to a number of times in a single night, so you don't get just one chance. He just has to go your way once.

Most the nuisance jobs are roadside or close, but not always. I have experimented with all sorts of beaver devices over the past 50 years, most of them, and changed programs many times as I found something "better." I guess have more experience with cages, all I use now, so I have figured out ways to make them work. If you have to walk a bit I use a 2 foot wide sled, can fit 2 easily in the sled, not hard to pull. Can pull it over grass, leaves, R.R. swamp and the sled becomes a boat in a pond. I also use bungie cords for a 3rd cage that goes on my back. The bungies turn the trap into a back pack, not heavy. I'll be 65 in a few weeks and don't have any problem transporting them. New colonies usually only get two traps anyway. The most I hauled out was 5 a half mile down a mountain in the snow, no regrets.

Cages require a larger investment, but the cost overall may be less when all is considered, fewer sprung, time saved etc. because of the versatility. I set at dark whenever I can to minimize turtles etc. Beaver are emerging as I set and often caught quickly. Turtles are in channels so I use castor more often than not to avoid them.

Re: Beavers .... Finally [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5157018
08/12/15 02:15 PM
08/12/15 02:15 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
Quote:
But the conibears in Michigan's pic are right below the surface, so what keeps them from swimming under them?

Depending on the holders and their length, the conibears can be stacked from the bottom to the top.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread