ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5163024
08/17/15 03:53 PM
08/17/15 03:53 PM
Central IL
P
Page Offline
trapper
Page  Offline
trapper
P

Central IL
Have noticed you guys talk quite a bit about different soil. Most of my place is clay. Have recently started getting tons of moles and am looking to pick up a few traps. Any recomendations for a newby in this type of soil? Have tons of new surface tunnels popping up. Thanks!

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5163094
08/17/15 04:56 PM
08/17/15 04:56 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
I would go with Trap line Products traps, Steve Albiono (spelling?) they are on line.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5163678
08/18/15 12:00 AM
08/18/15 12:00 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
Since this thread is still alive, I'll post additional questions here. I set up another mole job today. This one is going to be more difficult than the last, as I could find zero shallow runs. But the mole hills were enormous! Runs were going downward at a steep angle as the job before, but this time I tried digging down to find where they leveled out, which ended up being around 14-18" down. Then I set OOS traps over these runs. My question is, can you not spook a mole by doing that much excavation? I still need to get some moleinator traps (Albano's) but TRapper said he uses OOS's exclusively, so I figured I would give it a shot. My work looks much worse than the mole hills though, lol. I'm sure the homeowner was concerned...

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5163705
08/18/15 01:26 AM
08/18/15 01:26 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
I know trapper uses OOS exclusively, I just don't know why. Easier to find and he's comfortable with them I guess. Much prefer steves, especially in deep runs, but I have only caught a few dozen. Sometimes you got to set where you can, just let the homeowner know that grass is like hair, it will grow back. But first, kill the moles

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5163741
08/18/15 04:41 AM
08/18/15 04:41 AM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Originally Posted By: _fletch_
Since this thread is still alive, I'll post additional questions here. I set up another mole job today. This one is going to be more difficult than the last, as I could find zero shallow runs. But the mole hills were enormous! Runs were going downward at a steep angle as the job before, but this time I tried digging down to find where they leveled out, which ended up being around 14-18" down. Then I set OOS traps over these runs. My question is, can you not spook a mole by doing that much excavation? I still need to get some moleinator traps (Albano's) but TRapper said he uses OOS's exclusively, so I figured I would give it a shot. My work looks much worse than the mole hills though, lol. I'm sure the homeowner was concerned...

Don't worry, you won''t spook the mole. IMO try some Talpex traps. False fire them in clay, then there's nothing to stop you.
Those deep runs will have been there a good while probably, but in the warmer weather this is where the mole will travel the most.
I did 5 jobs yesterday, one of them was in a garden. Soil wasn't nice, a mix of orange and and clay. I could tell that there was only one mole, but i put three talpex in. The home owner had been trying to catch the mole for 3 months!Two hours after I had set the trap they rang to say that the trap had moved....yep, thats there mole gone to heaven. Another satisfied customer and they'll recommend me for sure...

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: roe] #5164108
08/18/15 02:05 PM
08/18/15 02:05 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Roe - unfortunately, true Talpex mole traps are not available in the USA. Just like you guys in the UK, if I'm not mistaken, cannot directly buy Trapline Mole traps from Steve Albano. I've recently bought some true Talpex traps from Fourteenacre and some Talpex-type traps from Flatpack in the UK but the postage and handling fees (carriage?) are exhorbitant unless you're buying in large quantities!

Like a lot of mole catchers over here, I use mostly the upgraded Out-of-Sight and the Trapline Mole traps. I resort to the Talpex along house foundations, fences, driveways, sidewalks, etc. or anywhere I think Mr. Mole will dig under my sandy soils.

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5164111
08/18/15 02:10 PM
08/18/15 02:10 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Aggie, your moles look a little smaller than ours. Would this be correct?

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5164116
08/18/15 02:21 PM
08/18/15 02:21 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Roe, yes. The same common Eastern Mole found in my area is even smaller than the same subspecies found in other parts of the USA. I'm in the deep southern part of the USA. It's very hot and dry in South Texas!!! Of course, this makes it somewhat easier for me as moles are attracted to irrigated, landscaped and mulched yards and homesites rich in organic matter and insects. Perfect habitat for moles and gophers!

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: Aggie73] #5164290
08/18/15 05:44 PM
08/18/15 05:44 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Originally Posted By: Aggie73
Roe - unfortunately, true Talpex mole traps are not available in the USA. Just like you guys in the UK, if I'm not mistaken, cannot directly buy Trapline Mole traps from Steve Albano. I've recently bought some true Talpex traps from Fourteenacre and some Talpex-type traps from Flatpack in the UK but the postage and handling fees (carriage?) are exhorbitant unless you're buying in large quantities!

Like a lot of mole catchers over here, I use mostly the upgraded Out-of-Sight and the Trapline Mole traps. I resort to the Talpex along house foundations, fences, driveways, sidewalks, etc. or anywhere I think Mr. Mole will dig under my sandy soils.

Do you have a problem with animals digging up your traps? I see you have cables on them.
Ev.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: Getting There] #5165281
08/19/15 02:46 PM
08/19/15 02:46 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Getting There - Adding the tethers to these traps was probably overkill on my part. I only recall one instance where a critter absconded with my mole in a Steve Albano trap set. On my recent purchase of Talpex traps, I did not add the tether cables.

A mole's main diet of earthworms plus secretions from its scent/musk gland makes for a not so tasty treat for the 4-legged predators. Pulling a trap with a mole always make me look for the natural gas leak around the house. That's what they smell like to me! I'm not too worried about losing my traps as much anymore.

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: TRapper] #5165761
08/19/15 09:18 PM
08/19/15 09:18 PM
IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
ShawneeMan Offline
trapper
ShawneeMan  Offline
trapper

IL - Shawnee Ntl Forest
Originally Posted By: TRapper
Originally Posted By: ShawneeMan
A friend of mine told me the mounds are the result of a male digging a breeding chamber.. but he's also told me some other "tales" that have never proved out.
That said, we've had tones of rain this summer (like 5 inches in one week) but I don't see the tell tale tunnels as I did last year.
Gonna see what I can do with the "connect the dots" method. I caught 8 of the little demons last year and still have 3 or 4 creating havoc around here.

Thanks for the tips!

Definitely not on the breeding chamber thing...mounds are created when digging deeper horizontal tunnels...they have to put the dirt somewhere

Yeah - that makes sense...

Sweet Pea - Yes - he does consume a fair amount of adult beverages...
No offense to anyone else, but he bought a Ranger Bass Boat to go catfishing with - it was broken down in less than a month - need I say more??

Shawnee National Forest - We live out here because we're not all there.
http://www.ripcordassociation.com
101 Pathfinder Det / Vietnam 1969 - 1971
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: Aggie73] #5165841
08/19/15 09:58 PM
08/19/15 09:58 PM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: Aggie73

A mole's main diet of earthworms plus secretions from its scent/musk gland makes for a not so tasty treat for the 4-legged predators. Pulling a trap with a mole always make me look for the natural gas leak around the house. That's what they smell like to me! I'm not too worried about losing my traps as much anymore.
Seriously? I figured moles would be good coyote bait, or that's what I've been saving them for at least. You figured if they love skunks, they wouldn't have a problem with moles...

I mixed some in when I ground my mouse bait, may have screwed up there.

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5165847
08/19/15 10:02 PM
08/19/15 10:02 PM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
The deep runs are still kicking my tail. Managed to pinch one today when it finally made a shallow run, as we've had a cool front mixed with precipitation the past couple of days. But it's taking too long. I did order a half dozen of Steve's traps a couple days ago, so I'm looking forward to trying them. I still don't exactly see how they wouldn't get prematurely tripped as the mole is pushing dirt up through the deep runs, but maybe it will make sense to me once I actually set one.

Last edited by _fletch_; 08/19/15 10:04 PM.
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5165869
08/19/15 10:13 PM
08/19/15 10:13 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
I'm imagining a mole cartoon with a bulldozer blade on front. I don't think they push that much ahead of them....

Last edited by DaveK; 08/19/15 10:13 PM.
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: DaveK] #5165988
08/20/15 12:02 AM
08/20/15 12:02 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: DaveK
I'm imagining a mole cartoon with a bulldozer blade on front. I don't think they push that much ahead of them....
Haha... point taken. But it sure seems like it sometimes when these huge hills just pop up overnight!

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5166058
08/20/15 04:20 AM
08/20/15 04:20 AM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Originally Posted By: _fletch_
The deep runs are still kicking my tail. Managed to pinch one today when it finally made a shallow run, as we've had a cool front mixed with precipitation the past couple of days. But it's taking too long. I did order a half dozen of Steve's traps a couple days ago, so I'm looking forward to trying them. I still don't exactly see how they wouldn't get prematurely tripped as the mole is pushing dirt up through the deep runs, but maybe it will make sense to me once I actually set one.

Hi, they don't push so much, they generally pull dirt back.

Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: roe] #5167133
08/21/15 12:10 AM
08/21/15 12:10 AM
South Dakota
_
_fletch_ Offline OP
trapper
_fletch_  Offline OP
trapper
_

South Dakota
Originally Posted By: roe

Hi, they don't push so much, they generally pull dirt back.
That's interesting, thanks. Well I received my shipment from WCS today and now have some of Albano's traps, so I'm looking forward to trying them out. Today, I set a few No-Mol's in those deep runs.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Last edited by _fletch_; 08/21/15 02:03 AM.
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5167366
08/21/15 08:42 AM
08/21/15 08:42 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
The hard one for me is the area where a mound was, and the owner keeps running over them with the lawn mower.
If the dirt has been pushed up, there is no need to keep pushing the dirt up but the mole can still be using the tunnel and you never know it. I let the customer know not to push down any runs or mounds once I start setting trap. I also ask them not to cut the grass to close to Steve's traps if they are set in shallow runs, it will jam dirt in the trap and when the mole clean the tunnel it will feel the trap and go under.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5170073
08/23/15 06:14 PM
08/23/15 06:14 PM
Ohio
S
Sweet Pea Offline
trapper
Sweet Pea  Offline
trapper
S

Ohio
Best thing I ever did was get one of LT's mole trapping tools. It isn't good for real deep runs but for surface runs I can put in a set in about 10 seconds !
For carrying mole traps to a set? I clamp them on each other to form a ring and open them at each place. Try it, it's amazing how light it is. No need for a bucket ! LT taught me that trick. A real time saver !
Angela

Bighead Taxidermy....You Kill It, I Mount It.
Re: A little mole advice needed [Re: _fletch_] #5170355
08/23/15 10:01 PM
08/23/15 10:01 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
I still like to bury the trap...guess it is a system i am good at...sure the tool helps lol

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread