Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Newhouse bear trap chain variations #5134969
07/24/15 02:50 PM
07/24/15 02:50 PM
WI, USA
skorittnig1977 Offline OP
trapper
skorittnig1977  Offline OP
trapper

WI, USA
Lately I have seen a couple Newhouse bear traps with variations in the chain-- such as the swivel located at varying lengths away from the base. All of mine have the swivel next to the link that is attached to the base. Are the chains with the swivel further down the chain original from the factory? I didn't see any obvious welds.

WTA Life Member
NTA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NATCA Life Member
Re: Newhouse bear trap chain variations [Re: skorittnig1977] #5134988
07/24/15 03:05 PM
07/24/15 03:05 PM
Missouri
N
Nhousecattrapper Offline
trapper
Nhousecattrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Missouri
On your earlier Slickpans the chain set ups had the swivel in the middle of the chain, three links down, the swivel, then three links to the ring. As time progressed from one model to the next, especially on the slick pan #5s going from the riveted tooth jaws to the cast tooth jaws, you may see the earlier chain set up on the early Cast tooth jawed slick pans, where as the later models #5 cast tooth slickpans will have the swivel coming off the base link. The old timers were very frugile and used everything. When they went to a different model, they used up what was left of the old first. This is very prevalent in your #4 & 1/2 OC Wolf trap when they went from the Kenwood model to the OC model as there were many chain set ups using up the earlier parts first. Now Newhouse was recognized also for adhering to requests from customers, so in the later years on special orders, Especially on Govt. Trap, you may find extended chains with varies swivel positions.

"PURVEYOR OF FINE ANTIQUTIES and RARE TRAPS". Member... MTA/CFM/NTA/NRA/NATCA #0620
Re: Newhouse bear trap chain variations [Re: skorittnig1977] #5135151
07/24/15 06:07 PM
07/24/15 06:07 PM
Iowa
P
PaulB Offline
trapper
PaulB  Offline
trapper
P

Iowa
Good info as always,,,thanks Bruce,,,

Re: Newhouse bear trap chain variations [Re: skorittnig1977] #5135264
07/24/15 08:13 PM
07/24/15 08:13 PM
North Missouri
L
longbow31 Offline
trapper
longbow31  Offline
trapper
L

North Missouri
wish I had the time. I could sit and talk to Bruce for hours and hours. thanks for all the help you give everyone Bruce.

Re: Newhouse bear trap chain variations [Re: skorittnig1977] #5135323
07/24/15 09:10 PM
07/24/15 09:10 PM
WI, USA
skorittnig1977 Offline OP
trapper
skorittnig1977  Offline OP
trapper

WI, USA
Thanks Bruce! Awesome answer.

WTA Life Member
NTA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NATCA Life Member
Re: Newhouse bear trap chain variations [Re: Nhousecattrapper] #5144022
08/01/15 12:34 PM
08/01/15 12:34 PM
North Cass Co. Minnesota
DiggerDale Offline
trapper
DiggerDale  Offline
trapper

North Cass Co. Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Nhousecattrapper
On your earlier Slickpans the chain set ups had the swivel in the middle of the chain, three links down, the swivel, then three links to the ring. As time progressed from one model to the next, especially on the slick pan #5s going from the riveted tooth jaws to the cast tooth jaws, you may see the earlier chain set up on the early Cast tooth jawed slick pans, where as the later models #5 cast tooth slickpans will have the swivel coming off the base link. The old timers were very frugile and used everything. When they went to a different model, they used up what was left of the old first. This is very prevalent in your #4 & 1/2 OC Wolf trap when they went from the Kenwood model to the OC model as there were many chain set ups using up the earlier parts first. Now Newhouse was recognized also for adhering to requests from customers, so in the later years on special orders, Especially on Govt. Trap, you may find extended chains with varies swivel positions.

RIGHT ON! Especially about the 4 1/2 chains. My wife picked this drag up at the local flea market. Must have been after the OC 4 1/2s with the Kenwood drag but before the S link connector. I always figured collecting the complete variations of the 4 1/2 would be doable with only 4 pan styles. Now I'm considering going for the different chain & drag set-ups too. Gonna need way more wall space and a fatter wallet.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector