Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: For The Sake Of Conversation... [Re: trappertom52] #5133922
07/23/15 06:41 PM
07/23/15 06:41 PM
north Idaho
W
wissmiss Offline
trapper
wissmiss  Offline
trapper
W

north Idaho
Back in the 1980s, Donnie Bush out of New York state published a book about Newhouse traps. It was not a printed hardbound book like Gersteels, but more a photocopied spiral bound manuscript. A bit crude, but had a lot of information in it. Nit sure where one would get a copy now.

Gerstell also has a lot of Newhouse info in his book.

www.usedtraps.com

Please check out my updated inventory of Native American books.

Re: For The Sake Of Conversation... [Re: trappertom52] #5134234
07/23/15 10:19 PM
07/23/15 10:19 PM
S.W. Oregon,USA
S
snakecollector Offline
trapper
snakecollector  Offline
trapper
S

S.W. Oregon,USA
I am a Newhouse collector and I have been gathering Newhouse traps and information for over 30 years. I also collect all of the other Oneida Community traps and trap advertising. I would like to put together a book just of information and facts, no price guide but at this point I don't have time yet. Maybe in a few years.

Re: For The Sake Of Conversation... [Re: trappertom52] #5134533
07/24/15 07:49 AM
07/24/15 07:49 AM
MI
Diggdug Offline
trapper
Diggdug  Offline
trapper

MI
If anyone needs more information about an old trap that they may have, join the Facebook group I have posted in my sig line and post a pic. There are some knowledgeable members on there!!!

I love Mustelids...

Click to join the Official North American Trap Collectors Association FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/488213284615670/
Re: For The Sake Of Conversation... [Re: trappertom52] #5134688
07/24/15 10:12 AM
07/24/15 10:12 AM
Missouri
N
Nhousecattrapper Offline
trapper
Nhousecattrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Missouri
Many of the pioneers to trap collecting were into antique steel traps long before the trap collecting clubs were ever thought of. All of these old timers have since passed away and a wealth of knowledge went with them, other than the small miniscule amount of knowledge they gifted to the lucky ones that were close to them, and payed close attention to what they said.
I was fortunate enough, from the time I was four or five years old, to be associated with a gentleman who more than likely put more traps in peoples collections than any other,John Barbee.
John was a wealth of knowledge and his main love as many of us was Newhouse Traps, and the history that surrounded the Newhouse Trap and the Oneida Community. From a very young age I was always fascinated by the different styles, designs, and history of antique Traps, and with my father and John being best of friends and the two a very instrumental part in starting the Missouri Trappers Association back in the late 50s, I was blessed with having known John from the time I was Four years old until John passed away on Feb, 1st 2010. With us only living 70 miles apart, there were very few weekends that passed where John was either down here, or Dad and I was up there. John was like my second father. and I learned a tremendous wealth of knowledge from him.
The way one learns traps is to handle as well as scrutinize many many traps. It is something that is gained over many years of collecting, and one never stops learning, as there will always be something new and exciting surface that was never seen before.
I look back at Alfred Williams and Dick Gerstell and it is utterly amazing to even fathom what they accomplished when you take into consideration their books, as this was back in a time when if you needed information you wrote letters, made phone calls, or drove many miles and put in many long days in doing research. Now with the advancement of modern technology as well as the computer and internet, it has made it so very easy for all of us now to find out just about anything with the stroke of a few keys.
When one gets into the trap collecting guides, and there have been many published over the years from Frodelius & Bert, Donnie Bush, Vances books, and Toms guide, there is one common denominator that everyone must realize, and that is these books are exactly "GUIDES", not Bibles and prices will vary considerably, on any given day when selling from one collector to another, depending on how bad the buyer wants it, and how reluctant the seller is to get rid of it, and the condition of the item. But, in another sinister aspect, there are a few out there that have published articles, guides, and books, some of which plagiarized other peoples work, that are virtually a waist of the paper and print used to manufacture them.
We constantly learn something new about the field we collect in everyday, I know I do. When it gets to the point that an individual feels like they know everything there is to know and even when they feel as though they do not know the answer, and make something up and believe it to be fact, then you have a problem.
Greg (Cascade) and I have talked many times about writing an informative book on Newhouse which would include pictures,history, but no prices as prices are always fluctuating up and down.
as between the two of us, there is not much out there that one or the other of us do not have, but like Dean (Snakecollector) said, time is of the essence, so maybe sometime in the future.

"PURVEYOR OF FINE ANTIQUTIES and RARE TRAPS". Member... MTA/CFM/NTA/NRA/NATCA #0620
Re: For The Sake Of Conversation... [Re: Nhousecattrapper] #5135275
07/24/15 08:32 PM
07/24/15 08:32 PM
Candor NY
B
Bruce1 Offline
trapper
Bruce1  Offline
trapper
B

Candor NY
Well said Bruce.I like going to trap conventions and talking to older collectors.You can also see alot of antique traps for sale.THe fellowship of collectors is great.Hope to see some of you at NTA Hamburg NY.Bruce McCormick

Re: For The Sake Of Conversation... [Re: trappertom52] #5161266
08/16/15 07:47 AM
08/16/15 07:47 AM
N.E. Pennsylvania
T
trappertom52 Offline OP
trapper
trappertom52  Offline OP
trapper
T

N.E. Pennsylvania
Before this thread is done, I would like to say that every time I talk with Mr. Vance he is very quick with answers to all my questions. He is not looking in a book for the answer, or beating around the bush. He answers any and every question faster than I can write it down. He is still very sharp mentally although he is bedridden. He is looking at and handling traps daily, as he has for 67 years of trap collecting. Mr. Vance told me that he did a lot of business with John Barbee [both selling and buying], and that he was quite knowledgeable.

Let a man meet a bear robbed of her cubs rather than a fool and his folly. Proverbs 17:12
Re: For The Sake Of Conversation... [Re: trappertom52] #5163502
08/17/15 09:36 PM
08/17/15 09:36 PM
Oregon
M
Mr. Bill Offline
trapper
Mr. Bill  Offline
trapper
M

Oregon
Newhousecattrapper and Snaketrapper are two super nice guys that are awesome trap collectors. Have awesome collections and will help you if you need info. on traps. Super knowledgable collectors willing to share their knowledge is greatly appreciated!

Re: For The Sake Of Conversation... [Re: trappertom52] #5179171
08/31/15 12:57 PM
08/31/15 12:57 PM
N.E. Pennsylvania
T
trappertom52 Offline OP
trapper
trappertom52  Offline OP
trapper
T

N.E. Pennsylvania
I just bought the book by Donnie Bush. It is one of only six printed, second edition. Loaded with some really cool information.

Let a man meet a bear robbed of her cubs rather than a fool and his folly. Proverbs 17:12
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector