ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Chloroform safety [Re: Throw Back] #5118978
07/11/15 01:05 PM
07/11/15 01:05 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
I see what you are saying HD, about the chemical euthanasia for officers however,

the following reg is in our general trapping manual
CA FGC 4004 section "It is unlawful to do the following":
(g) Kill any trapped mammal in accordance with this section by
intentional drowning, injection with any chemical not sold for the
purpose of euthanizing animals, or thoracic compression, commonly
known as chest crushing.

which, to me, implies that an average person could use chemicals is the are sold for the purpose of euthanizing animals, and my state recognizes the use of chloroform for the use of euthanasia.

Re: Chloroform safety [Re: Throw Back] #5119024
07/11/15 01:45 PM
07/11/15 01:45 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Using the same philosophy, I suppose taking it on a ride in a hot air balloon and dropping 500 feet would be legal too. Just saying....

Regulations can restrict based upon the chemical or the use. Thus, you would need to see if your states euthanasia for officers makes it legal for the general public....or do those laws only apply to officers?

Re: Chloroform safety [Re: Throw Back] #5119028
07/11/15 01:50 PM
07/11/15 01:50 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
That law said no person or officer.

Person being me, but the average person doesn't have access to it, so it would prohibit them from euthanizing kittens, but if an individual does have it, it doesn't prohibit use.

Re: Chloroform safety [Re: Throw Back] #5119036
07/11/15 01:53 PM
07/11/15 01:53 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
I would imagine their statement about "unlawful to - injection with any chemical not sold for the purpose of euthanizing animals" is related to the typical acetone
use by some for skunks, but possibly just to say you can't inject because you aren't a vet without a vet permitting you to do so.

But the inhalants are not listed in this section, meaning that though I know of several inhaled options including CO2 that most states would recognize, I don't see
where they explicitly say you can use chloroform, but as you say, they likewise aren't stating clearly you can't use it.

In its current form your regs are pretty much open to a warden or an ACO officer investigating a report by someone of illegal use of this chemical to interpret for themselves
if what you did was legal or not, though with a good lawyer it looks like the regs don't speak clearly enough that you couldn't work your way out of the issue if called to the
carpet for it.

I've been trained 4 times during a 10 year career with the feds. All of those trainings for chemical immobilization and euthanasia by multiple parties all of which know what your
average field scenario is, even in absence of drug availability or ability to use it without a vet as we nearly all fall into that category while in the field with an animal needing euthanasia,
chloroform has never ever been suggested or even discussed while all others have including CO2 and a couple of others.

Thats about all I'd need to know, along with the veterinarians I've asked about it specifically to know that I wouldn't want to utilize it, luckily I also don't need it with the work I do
being nearly 100% bats and birds.

They are leaving you folks open though to suggestion, I see your point as well and also know Dave's point is justified too as there are many many things about using a chemical like
this that could get folks in a bind, just depends on who answers the call so to speak when someone phones in or mentions to someone in passing that "my wildlife company used this
awesome technique where they knocked down the young skunks (or raccoons) with chloroform..."

Some folks won't even know that option exists, others will never think it would be illegal and others will immediately think that doesn't sound right... Open to suggestion and interpretation
isn't a place I like to live, or base my livelihood on, but I get that some folks are going to use it regardless of what is said unless specifically stated as illegal in their state for wildlife control work.

Re: Chloroform safety [Re: Throw Back] #5119047
07/11/15 02:03 PM
07/11/15 02:03 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Using the chemical for immobilization seems to bring in FIFRA....where euthanasia probably brings in different State laws. My objection was the use mainly under uses that would be regulated under FIFRA.

Ok...you guys take it from here. I've made my points.

Re: Chloroform safety [Re: Throw Back] #5119161
07/11/15 04:19 PM
07/11/15 04:19 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Getting back to Throw Back's topic, Chloroform Safety, I would just like to know from all of you readers out there: Have you or

anyone you know had any safety problems with the use of chloroform? ( I'm guessing this is a dumb question because so few people use

it but it needed to be asked anyway )

Re: Chloroform safety [Re: Throw Back] #5119417
07/11/15 08:17 PM
07/11/15 08:17 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Don't use often, but never had a problem when I did use it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread