ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Per hour pricing? [Re: 2020] #5108599
07/03/15 01:43 AM
07/03/15 01:43 AM
Oklahoma
80C Offline
trapper
80C  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Originally Posted By: 2020
You guys have a pretty good job going on a control guy charged a family friend 199.99 to drive 15.min away for a racoon check in a chimney and said that it wasn't there but call him back if you want him to trap it. Extra of course. I might look into the trade. Felt a little sorry for the elder lady living by her self.

I have that same story with a plumber,electrician,dr., vet, preacher, family member and the list goes on and on

Re: Per hour pricing? [Re: 80C] #5108778
07/03/15 08:07 AM
07/03/15 08:07 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Originally Posted By: 80C
Originally Posted By: 2020
You guys have a pretty good job going on a control guy charged a family friend 199.99 to drive 15.min away for a racoon check in a chimney and said that it wasn't there but call him back if you want him to trap it. Extra of course. I might look into the trade. Felt a little sorry for the elder lady living by her self.

I have that same story with a plumber,electrician,dr., vet, preacher, family member and the list goes on and on

Yep, until I was I'm business for myself I was so mad at the hvac company I called when my furnace wouldn't work. He came in and was do e in less than five minutes. A leaf got sucked into the vent. $65.
Now I get it, he drove here, he found something I never would have, and he fixed my problem. Next time it happend I saved $65 and pulled the leaf out

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Per hour pricing? [Re: Starvalleytrappe] #5108857
07/03/15 09:22 AM
07/03/15 09:22 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
I don't know what was said between the two parties, but I've no issue with this. Wildlife control services are primarily offered by for-profit business,not by charities (for my statement, mandatory "donations" fall into the same category as for-profit). Services were offered and purchased, nothing more, nothing less.

Let's change the scenario and say it was a plumber that was called out for a leak, but no leak was found or a faucet wasn't turned all the way off, would the plumber not charge for their service? How about an electrician that had to do an emergency call that turned out to be a tripped breaker? In most of these cases, the client would have been charged. They called and agreed to the terms of the service, the plumber and electrician didn't call them soliciting work.

Now look at the medical field. You feel sick, make an appointment and go to the doctor's office then sit there for 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours before you're seen. The doctor comes into the room and speaks to you for 5 minutes. They may look in your nose and ears and/or have you stick out your tongue or cough. At the end of your 5 minute exam you're told that there is nothing that can be done as it's a virus and you're past the period when medication may of helped (yes, this is a true story with influenza). Do you think I didn't have to pay $180 for the visit, 5 minutes of the Dr's time, 2 1/2 hours of my time and gas/wear on my vehicle because I was 8 hours past the 48 hour time limit?

The difference between all of these scenarios is that people base the value of wildlife control on how much they value the animal, not the service(s) being rendered. When they hear that raccoon went for $7 on average at fur sales, they can't comprehend a $200 - $500 charge for that $7 raccoon. They aren't looking at what it costs to run a business, the knowledge and equipment required to perform services, the true time each job takes, the risks operators take with their own health and safety to resolve the problem, and more.

As I'm also a fur trapper, I understand that there is a cost and risks to fur trapping as well, but those are personal costs not business expenses. The main difference for me between fur trapping and wildlife control is that for fur trapping I am trying to catch an animal for personal reasons (food, pelt, etc) but when doing control work, I am selling piece of mind to the client for the client.

Whether or not I catch an animal to provide this service, depends on what steps I need to perform in order to provide that service. No raccoon to remove from the chimney? Offer to cap the chimney and give a price. If the client decides not to take the offer, they now have the option to call me back or another operator the next time they hear noise.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Per hour pricing? [Re: Starvalleytrappe] #5108952
07/03/15 10:49 AM
07/03/15 10:49 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Nicely typed WCT, some folks just don't look at our line of work as a "business".

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Per hour pricing? [Re: Starvalleytrappe] #5110453
07/04/15 04:19 PM
07/04/15 04:19 PM
Wyoming
S
Starvalleytrappe Offline OP
trapper
Starvalleytrappe  Offline OP
trapper
S

Wyoming
Very true. In most trades there is a minimum of an hour charged for a service call. Even if it doesn't take you but 15 min to check it out it actually takes close to an hour by the time you drive there and drive back and do paperwork. That is all time spent that you could've been working somewhere else so it only makes sense to charge a minimum of an hour.

Wyoming fur trader

chrismhcc@yahoo.com
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread