ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Some Humane Societies Have No Luck #5107871
07/02/15 03:10 PM
07/02/15 03:10 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
We got a call from a lady who said that her Humane Society came out and got the raccoons that were in her attic and put them in

box and placed them in her backyard. They guaranteed her that the mother raccoon would come back and relocate the babies. They were

half right. Mom raccoon came back and liked the box so much that she moved in. The lady called us to see if we had a method of

keeping the neighbor kids and her grandkids away from the box. Luckily I didn't get that phone call. I would have said that after a

couple of the kids got mauled, they would probably learn to keep their distance. Taking the entire raccoon family to the Humane

Society also crossed my mind.

Re: Some Humane Societies Have No Luck [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5108089
07/02/15 07:08 PM
07/02/15 07:08 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Shouldn't they now be responsible and liable for them. Would we be had we done that

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Some Humane Societies Have No Luck [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5108098
07/02/15 07:12 PM
07/02/15 07:12 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
If every operator was responsible for something foolish they did, or something good they tried that failed, well, that would be quite a world, but it isn't the one we live in, lets be honest.

I'm not sure how many raccoon would decide to camp out in the box versus moving the cubs, it is a good story and one I would call them about wink. Point out to them what happened
and that this isn't going to result in the good vibes feeling they were going for.

Just my .02

Re: Some Humane Societies Have No Luck [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5108121
07/02/15 07:33 PM
07/02/15 07:33 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I'm just saying if we were to expose people in that way and something happen like a kid being bit, we would be finding out how good or insurance coverage is

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Some Humane Societies Have No Luck [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5108128
07/02/15 07:42 PM
07/02/15 07:42 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
MI trapping, Totally get your point and agree if you do something foolish you can be on the hook, can being the operative word depending on what you said you'd do, what you did and how much
proof there is for a litigious client to use.

I say this not because I live in NM but this industry in most cases is the wild wild west and whatever happens at the clients house tends to stay at the clients house. Having had some recent issues
I've seen that make me wonder how some companies aren't being smeared across the news, I'm not sure too many folks ever get legal action when they do as you mentioned lead to a negative outcome.

Its a crazy world out there and plenty of folks seem to make their own rules as they go along, even the local humane society obviously!

smile

Last edited by HD_Wildlife; 07/03/15 12:47 AM.
Re: Some Humane Societies Have No Luck [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5108164
07/02/15 08:12 PM
07/02/15 08:12 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
Paul W. didn’t say “HSUS; he said “her Humane Society”. Without further clarification from Paul, I don’t know if he is referring to “HSUS” or a local humane society that is not associated with HSUS. Some local shelters may immediately euthanize wildlife; some pass them on to a rehabber. And some are “no kill” sanctuaries. Paul’s turn.confused

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Some Humane Societies Have No Luck [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5108166
07/02/15 08:13 PM
07/02/15 08:13 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan
Mother Nature has a funny sense of humor. Maybe, you should forward your calls there for the holiday....and they can get some practice.

Re: Some Humane Societies Have No Luck [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5108270
07/02/15 09:21 PM
07/02/15 09:21 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Not the HSUS. I'm reasonably sure I know which society it is and they are not too bad. To be honest, leaving the babies in a box

probably worked for them many times, but it sure back-fired this time. Most of our raccoons have a secondary home all picked out in

case of eviction. The only problem is, it's usually somebody else's attic. I had a female raccoon climb out of a chimney, climb down

the downspout, go next door and climb into the neighbor's chimney in broad daylight. You should have seen the look on the neighbor's

face when I asked her if I could remove a raccoon from her fireplace and that the neighbor would pay for it. But that was nothing

compared to the look I got when I actually did it!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread