ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Bat detectors #5103916
06/29/15 04:00 PM
06/29/15 04:00 PM
England, UK
S
Ship Offline OP
trapper
Ship  Offline OP
trapper
S

England, UK

Hello everyone,

I understand quite a few of you ADC guys in America have to deal with bats as part of your work. Do any of you use ultrasonic detectors as part of your kit, and if so can you recommend a good one that’s not too expensive.
Thanks.

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5103962
06/29/15 04:45 PM
06/29/15 04:45 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
So far we have not found a thermal imaging camera that can see a raccoon through insulation, much less bats. But we have another one

arriving any minute. I'll let you know if it actually works.

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5103974
06/29/15 05:11 PM
06/29/15 05:11 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Online content
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Online Content
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I purchased a sonic bat detector about 25 years ago. It was supposed to detect both sonic and ultrasonic sound waves. I was very disappointed with it. I could hear the calls by the time it could detect them. Technology has progressed by leaps and bounds in the past 25 years though. Some of the newer models (read- very high priced) are supposed to be able to identify the species of bat making the calls. I never found a need to upgrade. Just my limited experience.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5104007
06/29/15 05:29 PM
06/29/15 05:29 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Ship - There are folks in the UK who are experts and masters of this technology both in use and in terms of equipment making.

You will want a detector from a company in the UK if you are buying for that area of use. They have gear and auto id programs
that are dedicated to european bat species, much like we have detector companies here that are focused on our bats of North America.

I would look at these folks, and if you are part of linkedin, check out the BCT (bat conservation trust) closed group on there. Again, what
we might recommend might not serve you well at all, though we have great companies here that make detectors for use the world over
you will be better served by looking at locally produced and local information from colleagues in this case.

http://www.nhbs.com/site/alana-welcome

Here even regional differences can cause issues within North America, many species of bats will not identify properly with auto-id programs
(even costly ones) and self analysis of calls can take years and even decades to master.

Not many in our industry use them because you don't need to identify the species to perform exclusion (something that requires a license and permits
in the UK just to look at bats in most cases) and second because the gear doesn't help with performing exclusion.

The bulk of acoustic monitoring devices in this country are sold to government biologists, biological consultants and the like, as there are always biological
studies going on, and bats are studied most often with acoustic monitoring equipment and of course field studies with mist nets and harp traps.

Hope that helps, this technology is well used in the UK and you can get small handheld units that are fairly cheap, they don't do many of the things the more
expensive models do, but they will get you species id in many cases.

Where you are there are undoubtedly many many bat groups that take folks for interpretive walks and bat detector walks, I know quite a few licensed bat workers
through various groups and know this is a common summer activity.

Look into them, they will give the best info and help you out!

Best,

Justin

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5104045
06/29/15 06:13 PM
06/29/15 06:13 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Sounds like a great way to meet chicks. "Hey baby, wanna take a walk in the woods and detect a bat?"

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5104102
06/29/15 06:58 PM
06/29/15 06:58 PM
Michigan
DaveK Offline
trapper
DaveK  Offline
trapper

Michigan

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5104142
06/29/15 07:26 PM
06/29/15 07:26 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
If bats will be viewed or heard while out for the day my better half is always in.

I couldn't be happier with how batty my own wife is!

Doubt many can use those words and not get slapped in the head! smile

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5104632
06/30/15 02:47 AM
06/30/15 02:47 AM
England, UK
S
Ship Offline OP
trapper
Ship  Offline OP
trapper
S

England, UK
Thank's for the advice, much appreciated.

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5104970
06/30/15 12:24 PM
06/30/15 12:24 PM
UK
T
Talpa Offline
trapper
Talpa  Offline
trapper
T

UK
I have a Batbox duet.It is pretty good. The white noise can drive you nuts but with practice and familiarization of the frequencies the bat species use for echolocation you can find out what you have flying around.
They have limited use for checking for roosts other than at dusk or dark as the chatter is different or they are asleep/torpor so don't emit noises.
If you are serious about bats then there are a number of super duper units Anabat etc. Getting licenced over here is pretty arduous now. I think Sussex has every bat species found in the uk so you could have hours of fun mooching abot with a detector.

Re: Bat detectors [Re: Ship] #5105174
06/30/15 03:08 PM
06/30/15 03:08 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
That sounds like it's just about as much fun as listening to Trumpeter swans. Sometimes it's not so bad being hard of hearing.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread