ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Moles are teaching me #5092252
06/21/15 05:29 PM
06/21/15 05:29 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline OP
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline OP
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
That I have a lot to learn. I've been trapping with Steve a traps for 3 weeks In My own yard and got 3 really quick. And then one yesterday. But now have had 3 runs where the moles keep tunneling under them, even when I think I have set the prongs deep enough. Can't go out and charge people based on that success rate.

Ordering a easy mole trap tomorrow Expensive but I like the concept. What says you guys?

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 06/21/15 05:38 PM.

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5092271
06/21/15 05:52 PM
06/21/15 05:52 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Took Sat. off. Ck traps today. Had three sprung is dry sandy soil. The run were close to the surface of the ground. Had a couple of OOS set, the owner said the mole pushed the OOS trap out of the ground. It was just the sod I cut out for the trap. Pulled the trap to ck it out and replaced it. Ck the other traps in the yard. Walk past the OOS and it sprung. Ck it out and had a mole. No luck with the NoMole traps in the sandy soil yet. You are not going to catch a mole in every trap you set. JMO.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Getting There] #5092882
06/22/15 12:27 AM
06/22/15 12:27 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
Originally Posted By: Getting There
You are not going to catch a mole in every trap you set. JMO.

My catch rate in traps i set is very high...there is many times i could have set several traps but only one was needed and had that mole within a few hours...i cant tell you how many times i have heard customers tell me that the trap went off 5-20 minutes after i left....

Keep at em...u will get to that point someday

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5093297
06/22/15 01:01 PM
06/22/15 01:01 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
They burned me again. No moles or activity when I left for work this morning. Checked when I went home for lunch and in two sets the burrowed under both traps. Ordered two "Easy MoleTraps" from FNT this morning and should get them tomorrow. I like a challenge but wow. Didn't think it would come from miles. Lol

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: TRapper] #5093315
06/22/15 01:23 PM
06/22/15 01:23 PM
Arkansas
A
AR Swampboss Offline
trapper
AR Swampboss  Offline
trapper
A

Arkansas
Originally Posted By: TRapper
Originally Posted By: Getting There
You are not going to catch a mole in every trap you set. JMO.

My catch rate in traps i set is very high...there is many times i could have set several traps but only one was needed and had that mole within a few hours...i cant tell you how many times i have heard customers tell me that the trap went off 5-20 minutes after i left....

Keep at em...u will get to that point someday

I mean no disrespect , but I have to wonder if you have moles confused with gophers ? or else you have some species of dumb moles , or else you are the mole whisperer ?
( I admit I'm no moleologist ) , but I have had my share of hair pulling moments with these critters on my family property. The only thing that works for me is lots and lots of traps, and matching patience
Moles are like women, just when you get them figured out , your wrong .....

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5093374
06/22/15 02:01 PM
06/22/15 02:01 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
MT - been there, done that. Dig unders are very frustrating, especially in loose/sandy soils!

Save your money and buy and learn how to use the Victor Out-Of-Sight (OOS). Better yet, buy the Elite Mole Upgraded OOS. Secondly, learn how to use Steve's traps upside down. Most importantly, learn how to use the forum archives. Tons of tips to learn by vets that have helped me tremendously!

Good luck!

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5093436
06/22/15 02:52 PM
06/22/15 02:52 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
Just looked up the elite OSS. Looks great too. Notes a I read in other moles forums said the OSS are great for sandy soils. A lot of clay where I am too. Does the OSS really have issues in clay?

As far as Steve's traps upside down, that's how I caught my first one, because like many guys I read the instructions after I do stuff. Upside down just seemed right to me so that's how I originally set them. May go back to that

Last edited by Michigan Trappin; 06/22/15 02:56 PM.

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5093765
06/22/15 06:56 PM
06/22/15 06:56 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
Like Josh, some of my mole captures are within minutes or hours with a lot of overnight success as well. If you catch the mole cycling at the right time it's usually a quick catch. Strategic placement of the traps is more important than the number and as you gain experience at reading the activity you can increase your capture rate as well as using fewer traps. However, if I have a mole really tearing up a prime property I will gang set or use more traps to put pressure on the mole and to increase the likelihood of a quick capture. I use the OOS with filed triggers and no other modifications and they work just fine. Just keep at it - practice may not make you perfect but it will make you better.

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5093983
06/22/15 09:10 PM
06/22/15 09:10 PM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
Just can't get Steve's traps to work upside down. I guess I have to think,if I have ever had a mole dig under one when set upside down. My biggest problem is I stay in a poor run to long. I am getting if a trap gets dug under, I use a different trap. JMO PS, up to 13 moles in the same run.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: AR Swampboss] #5094247
06/22/15 11:11 PM
06/22/15 11:11 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA

Keep at em...u will get to that point someday [/quote]

I mean no disrespect , but I have to wonder if you have moles confused with gophers ? or else you have some species of dumb moles , or else you are the mole whisperer ?
( I admit I'm no moleologist ) , but I have had my share of hair pulling moments with these critters on my family property. The only thing that works for me is lots and lots of traps, and matching patience
Moles are like women, just when you get them figured out , your wrong ..... [/quote]

I have taken over 9,000 moles in my career....as long as that mole is actively digging in the clients lawn...that mole is mine...people ask me all thw time why i dont charge a set up fee...i dont because i know i will kill the moles in that lawn...no guessing...i use the Victor OOS exclusively...got clay to sandy soil

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5094294
06/22/15 11:57 PM
06/22/15 11:57 PM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I'm not having problems it selecting runs, they are running right under my sets. Have had one set gone under 4 times two of the times in pushed the traps almost to the surface. Another run has been slipped under three times. I have what appears to be 4 different locations in my one acre yard that currently has activity. One location is where I caught two moles and the other two came from the other areas. What I'm saying is ther is still activity where I have caught moles and two spots that the suckers keep going under

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5094317
06/23/15 12:17 AM
06/23/15 12:17 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I don't think I'll get to catch any more, it's racing so hard I'm sure they are drowning, I've shop vac'd over 100 gallons I the last two hours from the basement, I have never had this much water down there. And it's raining again and I'm to tired to do any more. The basemen t. Will flood. Good night

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5094556
06/23/15 08:09 AM
06/23/15 08:09 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
If I was just starting out I would keep a log on each mole job I do. This is why, I trapped a place two years ago. Found the run that the mole were using to come into the yard. Got a call last week. The moles were in the yard already. Set the main run and got a double right off and a couple of other place, Never know when you will be call back.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5094609
06/23/15 09:11 AM
06/23/15 09:11 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
trapper
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I typically keep notes but they are very basic. I think I will keep more details. Thx

Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5094845
06/23/15 12:44 PM
06/23/15 12:44 PM
Arkansas
Jason Turner Offline
trapper
Jason Turner  Offline
trapper

Arkansas
Moles are great teachers when you pay attention. I love em! I use Oos exclusively just b/c they work best in my soil types.

Wildlife Removal, Etc.
Re: Moles are teaching me [Re: Michigan Trappin] #5104211
06/29/15 08:04 PM
06/29/15 08:04 PM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA

I purposely picked this lawn that had mole damage in middle...set ONE trap last friday...today had the mole and must have caught him quick cause fur was peelin off

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread