ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Moles and sandy soil #5085797
06/16/15 07:54 AM
06/16/15 07:54 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline OP
trapper
Getting There  Offline OP
trapper
G

West Michigan
Using Steve A. traps. In my area the soil is very sandy, when it gets dry it is like sugar. The sand want to run in the hole the trap is in, some times you can not get the trap much past the winding spring. Do you think this effects the action of the trap.

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Moles and sandy soil [Re: Getting There] #5086152
06/16/15 01:08 PM
06/16/15 01:08 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Too dry and worms won't be in the area. The trap only has to be in so the trigger is in the hole.

I like nomol for sandy conditions.

Re: Moles and sandy soil [Re: Getting There] #5086233
06/16/15 02:22 PM
06/16/15 02:22 PM
South Texas
A
Aggie73 Offline
trapper
Aggie73  Offline
trapper
A

South Texas
Because of my mostly dry and sometimes "sugar "sand conditions, I use the Modified OOS trap. Even if the sandy soil is moist and holds up, moles have a tendency to "dig under" using Steve's traps. I continue to use Steve's traps tho, upside down, in situations where I can't use the OOS. When pushing this trap in the mole tunnel, I always cover the opening by hand-sifting/backfilling the back end (winding spring end). Some of the soil inadvertantly gets on/covers the spring. The spring is strong enough to still catch moles IMO.

Most of my mole customers irrigate their lawns. I have asked a few to water the mole runs for those that don't normally irrigate. Someone else here on the forum also suggested carrying a spray bottle for watering runs. A 1-2 gallon Spray doc-type sprayer might even be better.

"Happier than a gopher in wet sand."
Re: Moles and sandy soil [Re: Getting There] #5086276
06/16/15 03:26 PM
06/16/15 03:26 PM
England. UK
R
roe Offline
trapper
roe  Offline
trapper
R

England. UK
Get some duffus types.

What doesn't kill us makes us stranger...
Re: Moles and sandy soil [Re: Getting There] #5087309
06/17/15 12:45 PM
06/17/15 12:45 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Steve says his OoS traps are better than his in sandy soil. I still have better luck with his. At times it it tough to get traps in sand without the tunnel collapsing, so moving is at times called for. As Aggie mentioned, digging under is a problem with Steve's in sand. In those instances I've worked at bedding the trap better, then when that didn't work, I placed the traps in the tunnels upside down. Typically the mole will dig under just far enough to go under the trap, which puts it inline with the pan. Typically it's not the best way to set them, but it can be just enough of a curve to get the one that consistently goes under every trap.

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread