ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
College assignment, need help #5078375
06/09/15 11:23 PM
06/09/15 11:23 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
I have to imagine I were creating a "Code of Ethics" for my company.

I have to answer some questions for the thought process then compare it to companies in the same industry. Do any of you guys have any written or even just a consistent verbal code of ethics that you consistently pass on to employees.

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5078389
06/09/15 11:45 PM
06/09/15 11:45 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I don't envy you that assignment. Putting ethics in writing can't be easy. My one main thought to our employees is, "Put yourself in

the place of the customer and then operate like you would if the situation were reversed." Now I realize that there are some

customers who don't seem to have any ethics but that's on them, not you.

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5078415
06/09/15 11:59 PM
06/09/15 11:59 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
In our industry ethics can be broad paul. Its not jsut about how we treat our customers, but animals. You may choose to relocate to save the animals life, where others may choose euthanasia to help maintain natural balance in all areas. That is an instance of professions doing the opposite yet bot hare doing what would be deemed ethical.

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5078691
06/10/15 10:25 AM
06/10/15 10:25 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
I'd say that you're confusing code of ethics with animal welfare.

A business code of ethics should focus on business behavior. Things like following all laws and ordinances pertaining to services offered, not talking disparaging about others offering similar or like services, self improvement, appearance and actions when dealing with the public, how differing viewpoints can be viewed and/or handled, etc.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5078693
06/10/15 10:27 AM
06/10/15 10:27 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Animal ethics is one of my favorite topics and I can discuss ( argue ) it with anybody. Sick or injured animals are put down, period.

Do I believe that the animals that I relocate lead a happy life in their new surroundings. Maybe some do but the majority do not.

I do believe that the predators in that area owe me big time for delivering them hot meals on the hoof. The truth of the matter is,

and this is probably true for all of you, whether you terminate or relocate every animal you catch, you have little or no bearing on

the overall numbers of any animals in your area. Weather and predators ( to a lesser extent ) can be way more important to the

success of a species.

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5078701
06/10/15 10:30 AM
06/10/15 10:30 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
Paul I don't think I could have stated the facts better than that. I would have to agree with that assessment.

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5078871
06/10/15 12:43 PM
06/10/15 12:43 PM
Va
P
pass-thru Offline
trapper
pass-thru  Offline
trapper
P

Va
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Animal ethics is one of my favorite topics and I can discuss ( argue ) it with anybody. Sick or injured animals are put down, period.

Do I believe that the animals that I relocate lead a happy life in their new surroundings. Maybe some do but the majority do not.

I do believe that the predators in that area owe me big time for delivering them hot meals on the hoof. The truth of the matter is,

and this is probably true for all of you, whether you terminate or relocate every animal you catch, you have little or no bearing on

the overall numbers of any animals in your area. Weather and predators ( to a lesser extent ) can be way more important to the

success of a species.

I would say that the ethics of releasing any animal caught for nuisance or damage purposes and releasing elsewhere, unless required by law, is questionable.

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5078897
06/10/15 01:16 PM
06/10/15 01:16 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
So to try and poke it on subject, does anyone have a written ethics policy for their employees

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5079021
06/10/15 03:01 PM
06/10/15 03:01 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
pass-thru, I would say that filling a dumpster with dead animal carcases every two weeks is not only questionable but also asking for

trouble.

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5079128
06/10/15 04:19 PM
06/10/15 04:19 PM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
When we were a sole-propriety company, we didn't have anything for employees really except for a hand-shake and proof that they had the state required licenses. After we incorporated, we went to employee manuals and job descriptions. We have never done a specific "Code of Ethics" as everything is detailed in our manual.

If you need a code for comparison, you can get the NWCOA Code of Ethics from their By-laws located at www.nwcoa.com.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Throw Back] #5079150
06/10/15 04:46 PM
06/10/15 04:46 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Throw Back, I really liked what Eric said about saying things about your competition that would put them in a bad light. We had one

of our customers call us to tell us that they would never hire one of our competitors because he raked us over the coals in a

telephone conversation. People want to hear how professional you are, not how unprofessional your competitors are. I will never

forget that phone call and I will never talk down a competitor. ( Even if he's a moron )

Re: College assignment, need help [Re: Eric Arnold] #5079206
06/10/15 05:30 PM
06/10/15 05:30 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: WCT
I'd say that you're confusing code of ethics with animal welfare.

I would disagree, animal welfare would be apart of your business ethics, how you handle it is policy.

Business ethics, as described in MY textbook (which I understand can be different from your companies strategy, and different from the real world) can be your beliefs on fair pay, product quality, customer service, honesty, and environmental practices. I would include fair treatment of animals in our environmental practices. Things that we believe to be true, even if not regulated by law.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread