ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Might be facing a tough choice for the business. #5078336
06/09/15 10:47 PM
06/09/15 10:47 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Well, business is still new, ups and downs, and I am on track to doing a pitiful 20k in sales this year blush

However, that ha come with no advertizing, just refferals from one company. I planned on partnering with Get Bats Out to add that service and do some home and garden shows, run a paper add, and expand my service area a little bit.

All that on top of i have become a better salesman and learned exactly what and how I should be selling myself.

Then, I got a call from the city for an interview for animal control. Not only would I be busy, but our animal control does assist with wildlife control. I know I could bring a lot to their table, and the money would be starting at twice as good as the job I just left. 40k a year isnt bad for a 21 year old. The hours are garaunteed and the pressure is less.

But I left my job to start my business, but I really just wanted to leave for something. My service area isnt that big 100k people once I expand.

What to do, what to do. Ill have a little time to discuss it with my investor on a giggin trip tonite.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078380
06/09/15 11:30 PM
06/09/15 11:30 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Throw Back, perhaps this animal control gig would not only pay you more but could it also open you up to meeting the right people?

I know when I started there was one guy that was quite successful just getting the vast majority of his business from Humane

Societies. You have to make the decision that is right for you but you are young enough to do all kinds of different things along the

way. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078403
06/09/15 11:52 PM
06/09/15 11:52 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
I know Paul, its real tough. Since business picked up I havent even had time to stop and wonder if I enjoy it haha. Thats saying something because really, I am part time! I just put a lot into the research.

I know if I take it I can always quit and restart. I do have time on my side, I just never do know what I want to do with that time. At 21 with two kids I always feel behind.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078423
06/10/15 12:07 AM
06/10/15 12:07 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
You could always keep the biz part time until
You can make more than what the animal control
Position pays.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078559
06/10/15 07:26 AM
06/10/15 07:26 AM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
I would say this is an excellent opportunity for you. If you decide to take the new job, it will give you not only some financial security while you continue to build your business, but the needed experience, and contacts through net working in the same industry that will be beneficial to you in the future, when you decide to do it full time. I'm sure the job also has a benefit package for health insurance and other perks that would make it attractive. If I was young, and in your shoes, I would have to give some serious thought about doing it, but also inquire as to any conflict of interest if you do. Make sure before hand they fully understand you still have a business to build for your future, and are going to continue to expand it in your time off. Just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078626
06/10/15 08:39 AM
06/10/15 08:39 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Online content
trapper
Bob Jameson  Online Content
trapper
B

SW Pa
Which ever way you decide I think you will work out the details with time served.

Paul and Albert give you very good advice. I built my current businesses by financing them thru a stable established business income. Once I gained the degree of stability I need to fly solo I did.

My first year doing control work I grossed just over $17,000. So you are over my first year gross income. Our population within 40 miles or so was under 45,000 folks according to the current census at that time. It hasn't grown a whole lot since then. But I traveled to where ever I needed to go to do a job and that is still our current work policy. Just adjust your pricing to reflect the necessary costs of serving those longer drive projects.

The best to you either way you go. I cant seeing either decision being a big problem. It may delay your flying solo for a few years but you will mature a lot along the way. Sometimes that is a good thing to happen.

Like Albert stated I would determine if pursuing your current career will be a conflict of interests and if they are going to require a non compete contract to be signed if you accept employment at this new job opportunity. If so that could further prevent you from moving forward for a few years after this current position is terminated.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078630
06/10/15 08:45 AM
06/10/15 08:45 AM
West Michigan
G
Getting There Offline
trapper
Getting There  Offline
trapper
G

West Michigan
You could go with the city, you would be young when you retire. In most case have health ins. Start over and have a income and have good contacts. Only draw back, you will have lots of bosses, the public. JMO

To Old
U.S. Army 60-63 SGT.
Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078674
06/10/15 10:07 AM
06/10/15 10:07 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
Aside from the salary, are there any other perks they are offering like medical insurance, 401K, tuition reimbursement, etc.? $40,000 a year plus medical insurance for a family would equate to around $52,000 gross with no out of pocket expenses, just taxes. Now look at your $20,000. Ask yourself if this is before or after expenses. If it is after, you still need to deduct around 30% for self employment tax which now drops your take home pay down to $14,000. If it is before expenses, look at how much you're paying for your vehicle, gas, auto insurance, liability insurance, phone, equipment, etc. and you may find out that $20,000 in gross is still $10,000 in the hole (which may be beneficial if you need to offset another income for tax purposes). You're still too new to the game to know all of the peaks and valleys, but you should be able to predict some of them (i.e., if you're in Bridgeport you can rule out most bat work in the wintertime, while if you're in 29 Palms I doubt you're handling a lot of raccoon anytime of the year). This will help with your projected income figures (tip: if you're not sure on a trend, error on the side that it is going away instead of convincing yourself it will last).

Speaking from a single father's perspective who had full custody of their two children, I'd not only look at the financial aspect of the offer, but as I've already stated the benefits as well as the job time commitment. When kids are involved there is a lot to be said for a guaranteed paycheck and scheduled time off. This allowed me to provide for my family, build a house, coach sports my kids were in, participate in Indian Guides, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts as well as allow them to try out things like ballet, music, 4-H, and more.

Once I got remarried and added another two kids to the equation and my wife was making enough to support the family, I was then able to leave my computer job of 60 - 80 hours a week and have my youngest ride with me everyday for several years before she had to start school. Being self-broke (as I like to call it) also allowed me to leave the house after the kids were at school, get home before they got off the bus, take days off when they were sick, and attend the majority of school functions which was an issue when I worked in the computer field.

I still feel I made the right decision, but I can also say that I've put a lot of stress on my wife during our lean winters, drop in work due to 9/11, and the economy crash of 2008.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078895
06/10/15 01:15 PM
06/10/15 01:15 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
I need retirement but right now I don't need health. My wife's work covers 100% of our premium.

Also Eric,I need to prove income,this year, not loss. Right now for a loan we want i just count against it.

I doubt the city would let me do. Both. The offer a few wildlife services and we have a county trapper. I maybe able do bats and moles.

I applied for it when I was at my old job and would have left the minute they called.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5078974
06/10/15 02:26 PM
06/10/15 02:26 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Okay, what does the county trapper's job description look like? I would hate to compete against someone who is paid through taxes.

If he's any good, he'll get lots of jobs. And if he isn't, he'll screw up everything he touches. Neither one of those scenarios is

good for your business.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5079058
06/10/15 03:38 PM
06/10/15 03:38 PM
southern ont. canada
B
bob pake Offline
trapper
bob pake  Offline
trapper
B

southern ont. canada
I think if you have a open mind . You half to see the value in that this job will put you in front of a lot of people that need your services.
If you don,t know all the services, you can probably sub out larger jobs. This can put you in a position to learn from some professional . bat ,coyote or what ever . Getting paid to learn from some of the best in the business isn't all that bad. Even if you stay for a year or two you could leave with a fully feathered nest.
Ether way you go there is opportunity. Usually hidden in long hours and hard work.

Good luck.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5079123
06/10/15 04:14 PM
06/10/15 04:14 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Need to check out if it will be considered a conflict of interest to take the city job and keep working part time as an ADC man. Might look into working the city job and doing exclusions only on your own time. Good luck. BB

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5079221
06/10/15 05:38 PM
06/10/15 05:38 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Okay, what does the county trapper's job description look like? I would hate to compete against someone who is paid through taxes.

If he's any good, he'll get lots of jobs. And if he isn't, he'll screw up everything he touches. Neither one of those scenarios is

good for your business.

Ok Paul, out City ANIMAL CONTROL covers domestics, and will loan cage traps to home owners to trap coons, skunks, etc, and will pick the animal up and euthanize it within the city limits.

Our COUNTY TRAPPER handles things that would be considered public threats. Lions, bears, nuisance coyotes, as well as a few other smaller jobs if he has time.

He is a pretty good trapper and a good houndsman as well, but deals in things that I dont.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5079483
06/10/15 09:10 PM
06/10/15 09:10 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Throw Back, okay, I wouldn't get too excited about that stuff either. I have a friend that is probably the best ADC coyote man in the

midwest. I've heard him say, "If you want publicity, trap coyotes; but if you want to make money, trap squirrels."

Eric, I really enjoyed what you said about taking the time to enjoy your family. All three of our offspring enjoyed sports enough to

get a minor in coaching in college. My son works his butt off to take this company where it has never been before. That does not mean

he doesn't have family time. He coaches teams from 5 years of age to 45 years years of age and he loves it! It is not difficult to

tell which kids have lots a parental support and which ones don't. The only reason I bring this up on T-Man is because I find that

in ADC work it is real easy to work so hard for your family that you forget to watch them grow up. I may not have been coaching

material but I never missed a home game. ( I missed the San Diego State tournament where my daughter won "Player of the Tournament"

and I'm still upset twenty years later ) Take time to be with your family; it pays big dividends when they grow up.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5079588
06/10/15 10:08 PM
06/10/15 10:08 PM
SW Missouri
M
Mike K. Offline
trapper
Mike K.  Offline
trapper
M

SW Missouri
Just remember the “Rule of 20 Years”. It applies to health, love and finance. In essence, what you do now will affect you 20 years from now. You're at the age now where stability, a steady paycheck, insurance and strong family relationships are important. This also allows enough time to set aside some seed money and acquire equipment over several years to start again when it's "the right time" if you still have an interest in ADC work.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5079817
06/11/15 12:22 AM
06/11/15 12:22 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Also, there is no way I would do both. I know some of you are, but Im jut not that kind of person. I work hard, save money, never been on public assistance, supported a wife and kid while in high school, putting me at 60 hours a week, 4-5 of sleep a night living on coffee and tums. I can work those hours, but if i started making 40k+ a year working 9-5, I am going to spend those other hours with my girls. I could save a lot and turn that money into more when the time was right. I want to do one or the other.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5079846
06/11/15 01:22 AM
06/11/15 01:22 AM
Oklahoma
80C Offline
trapper
80C  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Sounds like you have made up your mind. Good luck.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: 80C] #5080625
06/11/15 08:18 PM
06/11/15 08:18 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Originally Posted By: 80C
Sounds like you have made up your mind. Good luck.

If it sound like that I apologize, because I'm still lost

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5080945
06/12/15 12:40 AM
06/12/15 12:40 AM
Oklahoma
80C Offline
trapper
80C  Offline
trapper

Oklahoma
Don't apologize. I just feel like you have made a good case to take the job. Based on what I know, I would take the job.
A job like that doesn't fall in your lap very often. You can start a business any time you want in the future.

Re: Might be facing a tough choice for the business. [Re: Throw Back] #5086523
06/16/15 08:09 PM
06/16/15 08:09 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline OP
trapper
Throw Back  Offline OP
trapper
T

California
Well, had the interview today. Turns out it was for the county AC posistion. WHich is much cooler. They investigate a lot of animal welfare crimes, serve warrants, and can do most what a cop does except make arrest. They even carry out here. Interview seemed to go well. I hear from them in two weeks. Mean time business is booming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread