ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Animals and health concerns #5070356
06/02/15 09:24 PM
06/02/15 09:24 PM
USA
P
Pez77 Offline OP
trapper
Pez77  Offline OP
trapper
P

USA
I tried searching , having trouble finding it in the forums . Maybe someone can direct me to a post or just answer the question. When it comes to attic and crawl space inspections. When do you guys wear full respirators, cotton mask, or no mask. I have a bad habit of wearing no mask. Like what service calls do you always wear a mask on . Bats, coons, Sq ,what else and which type of mask? What about insulation types? Fiberglass , cellulose? And if one is wearing the wrong type of mask or no mask what health concerns would they be looking at? Immediate or future problems!? Thanks for the input

Re: Animals and health concerns [Re: Pez77] #5070393
06/02/15 10:02 PM
06/02/15 10:02 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Pez77, that is one very intelligent question. Like you, I was usually in too much of a rush to do anything but wrap a handkerchief

around my face when I started coughing too much. A normal attic can usually be handled by a simple dust mask. Having said that,

many attics are not normal. You are up there for bats, raccoons, birds, all of which call for a respirator. I have done things while

being completely unprotected that I wouldn't let any of my technicians do. I take a handful of pills every day that would choke a

horse and half of those pills are for asthma and other respiratory weaknesses that I probably wouldn't have if I knew then what I

know now. I am very fortunate that I didn't cause more problems from my lack of intelligence but things like protective face wear and

clothing are an important part of our business now and probably are not talked about enough!

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 06/02/15 10:04 PM.
Re: Animals and health concerns [Re: Pez77] #5070457
06/02/15 10:44 PM
06/02/15 10:44 PM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Personally I wear a tyvek suit with a respirator when dealing with insulation and really tight crawl spaces, specially if the area looks like a toilet. Wouldn't trust a dust mask either, I wear the half face 90% of the time unless the area is really bad then I go to the full face. Just a combo particle/ organic vapor cartridge is all that is needed. Keep the respirator you're using in a sealed bag and the cartridges separate or throw away when done. I duct tape both ends of the filters and store in a bag, everyone got their own little way of doing things but your health is nothing to play with, 100% ppe. Try to wash the respirator out after every use if not get a bag of alcohol wipes and wipe it out before you attempt to wear it again. These are what I wear, you may wear something else but if you're going to be dealing with birds specially pigeons this is what you want to wear.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Animals and health concerns [Re: Pez77] #5070485
06/02/15 10:58 PM
06/02/15 10:58 PM
USA
P
Pez77 Offline OP
trapper
Pez77  Offline OP
trapper
P

USA
Good info fellas thanks for your input. I am always in such a hurry . Like today the lady waits until 4 o'clock to call and say the baby raccoons have been crying all day. like i have a baby monitor in the attic and play it through my radio. So I get there cut a hole in the area . Remove one .sot around waotig for her to get back home . She finally gets there , we have very limited attic access, so im ripping down batted insulation climping over duct work squeezing through places then the urine smell hits me . And im thinking where is my mask . Can't go back now. Then spend another 45 mins up there huffing and puffing. So just got me to thinking what real dangers are present. I am definately going to try and be more peoactove from now on . I want to be doing this when I'm 60

Re: Animals and health concerns [Re: Pez77] #5070493
06/02/15 11:01 PM
06/02/15 11:01 PM
USA
P
Pez77 Offline OP
trapper
Pez77  Offline OP
trapper
P

USA
Yea my grammar and spelling isn't that great, as always in a hurry ! Thankfully I have an awesome girl in the office

Re: Animals and health concerns [Re: Pez77] #5070707
06/03/15 07:43 AM
06/03/15 07:43 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
As I teach in my bat workshop, don't wear a respirator because of the bats (or any wildlife), instead wear a respirator because of what could have been sprayed in the attic that you'll never know about.

Ideally, you should be protecting your clothing, skin, lungs and eyes which really means wearing a full Tyvek with hood, boot covers, gloves, and a full face respirator at minimum. Of course, this is a double edged sword as you also should have a decontamination and cleaning room so you can clean and dispose of your gear when you exit the attic. I call it a double edged sword as not only does it increase your time and cost for the inspection/work, it also adds a fear component to the work which can then be used in a lawsuit against you (along the lines of the post I made concerning being an expert witness on a histoplasmosis case) should the client become sick later on.

You can get a really good guide on respirators from the CDC at www.cdc.gov. I believe the booklet is around 80 pages or so and covers everything from dust masks to SCBA. Another good resource is to listen to guys who have been trained/certified for hazmat cleanup to see how they would approach an attic clean out (i.e., testing for lead, copper, zinc dust and asbestos, setting up negative air flow, clean rooms, double bagging disposables, etc.).

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Re: Animals and health concerns [Re: Pez77] #5070873
06/03/15 10:28 AM
06/03/15 10:28 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
I've taken the osha 40 and asbestos 40 and it's worth it if your thinking about getting into the abatement side. You'll need the 32 or 40 anyway to work with it depending on your states regs if asbestos is present. Also wear a respirator and tyvek dealing with any animal droppings, urine and insulation in a confine space SPECIALLY pigeons whether a spray was involved or not. As for the question of inspections, if you're worried about your safety or fear of being sued document why you're going through this procedure and have proof of your license with you then have the homeowner sign if they understand, this should always be done before any work is performed. The classes issue quite the booklet of codes and regs and how things should be done. You can look up all the codes you want just be sure your authorized to perform the work, IE licenses and certs. Good Luck!

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread