ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Never A Dull Moment #5066941
05/31/15 02:16 PM
05/31/15 02:16 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
In 35 years of fur trapping you can count the number of weasels that I've caught on one hand. We are pretty much a flat,

agricultural area and never produced a lot a weasels. In 25 years of ADC trapping I have caught a bunch. I have certainly caught

more weasels inside of houses than out. I set up a weasel job yesterday and today I had a weasel. It had died from exhaustion and

it was a female but it wasn't lactating. It was 8 inches long so I figured it was an adult least weasel but its tail was a good 4

inches long so I'm beginning to wonder. There is supposed to be litter of young and the cages are still set, so we shall see.

You would think after over 60 years of trapping that I would know everything I need to, but it seems I have as many questions now

as when I started.

Last edited by Paul Winkelmann; 05/31/15 02:17 PM.
Re: Never A Dull Moment [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5066984
05/31/15 03:14 PM
05/31/15 03:14 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Here is a handy tip I learned about Weasel's last winter while on an ADC job with my youngest son. First, even with two feet of snow on the roof, they will enter a stack while up there hunting, and even drop down into an unsuspecting ladies laundry room. Second, if it runs into the dryer exhaust vent, and the kid says to just put a cage in front of it, and turn the dryer on to run it out....Do not do it. Apparently there is a small blower motor in there, and the only thing worse that the sound it made, was the smell as it got wedged in it. It seemed like a great idea at the time, but an hour later after disassembling the dryer, removing a less than happy Weasel, putting it all back together and smoothing over the lady of the house, I was happy to get out of there with my skin. I offered to waive the service fee, and even replacer the dryer if the smell didn't dissipate to her satisfaction. Thankfully they were understanding, but could not believe that little animal could make all that un-godly smell. Won't make that mistake twice. On the plus side, I am now very familiar with the internal workings of a gas dryer. LOL

Re: Never A Dull Moment [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5067421
05/31/15 08:09 PM
05/31/15 08:09 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Great story Albert and thanks for the tip. Now it's my turn to give you one. Next time have your son just touch the ON button. This

will engage that blower unit slightly but not enough to catch the animal in the fan. Make sure that he's ready to hit the STOP button

if it engages fully. My record is three chipmunks in one dryer and I blew them all out alive and kicking. ( My customer was thrilled

with the job but not the bill )

Re: Never A Dull Moment [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5070993
06/03/15 12:40 PM
06/03/15 12:40 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
( My customer was thrilled with the job but not the bill )

Sounds like you played that one perfectly!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread