ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hard to Build a Business This Way #5063295
05/28/15 08:23 AM
05/28/15 08:23 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Dag-gummit!

How are you supposed to build a wildlife business when your friends and family don't even think to call you when there's a problem?

A lady from my church post picture after picture on Facebook of her wildlife encounters. She can't keep the rabbits from eating up her garden. She keeps loosing cat food to possums. 5 snakes killed in her back yard just this season, and it's only May. Does she call me?.... Noooo!... Her neighbor across the street gets all the glory for chopping a snakes head off with a shovel, but he does NOTHING to keep them away!

A buddy of mine from the plumbing supply house tells me of a squirrel he knocked out of his pecan tree. I guess he was looking a pat on the back.

My own Scout Master from my son's Cub Scout pack says I'd be proud of her for killing a Cotton Mouth in her back yard. There were two that I know of from last season.

Another friend of mine, who is a roofer, saws through a bunch of bats while cutting a hole in a roof but doesn't think to call me to get the rest out.

One of my best friends wants me to loan him some of my traps so that he can get the squirrels out of his sisters attic! Not to mention, wants me to tell him what the best bait is and show him how to set them up!

And that's just the trouble I'm having with FRIENDS!!

I got a call from one lady who tells me up front that she isn't going to pay me. Then wants me to recommend to her someone who will do my job for FREE!!!

I had a message written down in my appointment book, from a lady at a local church that says, "Snakes.... Wants free service". I mean, does she even EXPECT me to call her back?

Another one from another lady who wants me to remove a coon from her back yard but tells me up front, "I can't pay you."... Huh?... Then. I'm sorry! I can't help you!

One, who spoke to my wife about a bobcat, even got angry when she found out that I have to charge for my services and cussed out my wife over the phone! ...Yeah! ... I'm REALLY in a hurry to help this woman out!

And these last 4 calls were just a few of the "No Go" calls I've gotten JUST THIS WEEK!!

How do the rest of you guys handle this kind of thing? Don't it ever just make you want to go outside and break somethin'?

I tell ya.... The more I deal with people, the better I like critters!

Muddawg
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063302
05/28/15 08:31 AM
05/28/15 08:31 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
That's the problem with rural/semi-rural adc work.

Farther you go from the city, the harder it is for that pocketbook to open up.

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063309
05/28/15 08:44 AM
05/28/15 08:44 AM
New Hampshire
Coondog6 Offline
trapper
Coondog6  Offline
trapper

New Hampshire
I was raised in rural Indiana. I am now living in New Hampshire. When I told friends back home in Indiana that I was starting an ADC business they looked at me like I was stupid. Who's going to pay you for trapping beavers and removing squirrels. Well, back where I am from the farmers take care of it themselves or their boys or girls do.

Chuck

The measure of a man is what he will do when he knows he won't get caught.

Coondog6
www.BestWayWildlife.com
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063310
05/28/15 08:45 AM
05/28/15 08:45 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
With a grain of salt and patience.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: TDHP] #5063314
05/28/15 08:53 AM
05/28/15 08:53 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Originally Posted By: TDHP
With a grain of salt and patience.

I've taken so many grains of salt now, my blood pressure is up! smirk

Muddawg
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063334
05/28/15 09:09 AM
05/28/15 09:09 AM
Mass
TDHP Offline
trapper
TDHP  Offline
trapper

Mass
Muddawg, I'd reevaluate your networking circle because if these folks know you do this type of work and didn't think of you when a problem arose, there could be a problem or an honest mistake and didn't think to call.

Smile, you're an expert!
http://tdhpwildlifecontrol.webs.com/
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063341
05/28/15 09:15 AM
05/28/15 09:15 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
My best friends and my pastors/church property i take care of....other than that all in my church know it is my job and when they contact me...they know they get a friends/family discount but there will be a charge...at church and to my non trapping friends...they all call me "trapper"....many still dont know my real name

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063347
05/28/15 09:18 AM
05/28/15 09:18 AM
Central IA
TRapper Offline
trapper
TRapper  Offline
trapper

Central IA
And i need to say this...i do not go to church there to get leads...if someone says something to me there....i get their number quickly and end the conversation about the problem as will call them during biz hours

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063372
05/28/15 10:04 AM
05/28/15 10:04 AM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
Have to find your way into the richer communities. People that pay 75 a week to get their lawn mowed. I get referrals from a pest control company. They have over 1500 clients setup biannually at 250 per visit. Those referrals call to schedule, not ask how much.
I dont get much work from friends or family.
I know we always talk about internet marketing. That is one of my criticisms about IM. Its not very discerning in customer selection. Try getting in with pest companies, lawn services that might see moles, and other service industries where the services are discretionary, not necessary or emergency. Then you will be targeting people with money.

Bob Jansma
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063374
05/28/15 10:10 AM
05/28/15 10:10 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
We're suppose to get paid? I knew I was doing something wrong. Especially when the raccoon job I started yesterday the lady said the corporate ADC operator wanted $380 to come and set for her raccoon. I'm sure he was going to inspect too. Yep did that. It's a raccoon,

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063690
05/28/15 04:15 PM
05/28/15 04:15 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
I lost a skunk job to the local police just now...seems one came out and shot it a couple times, problem is he left it still alive. The guy that owns the property wanted to know what to do now....I told him to call Barney Fife back, tell him to get another bullet and kill the dang thing. He said he did that, and they were sending another officer out to try and kill it.. You just can't make some of this stuff up.

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063825
05/28/15 06:24 PM
05/28/15 06:24 PM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Albert,

Since starting this urban suburban realm I've been constantly amazed at the variety of civil servants who will come and get involved in a variety of wildlife issues. Skunk, bat, or chasing coyote through city limits with sidearms drawn! I can picture it but I couldn't imagine it, and these are not bite cases but simple "I just looked out and saw a coyote."

At least Barney only had one bullet on his belt to get himself in trouble with.

smile

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5063861
05/28/15 07:05 PM
05/28/15 07:05 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
I can only imagine the hours of paperwork those two officers filled out over discharging their weapons.
I had a great one, years ago in the middle of winter with a lot of snow on the ground. An elderly lady had a skunk In her yard she wanted removed. I told her a price, she balked a little bit and asked how much if it was dead. I was feeling generous that day, and never really thought it would amount to anything, so I told her if it had been dead, I'd pick it up for 99.00 plus tax. She said thank you , and hung up. An hour later the phone rings, she said I could come get my dead skunk now. I thought she was kidding, so I asked what happened ? She called the Troopers, and one responded and shot it, at least 5 times. When I got there the whole neighborhood stunk, and it looked like a massacre from all the blood on that white snow...I just shook my head, got what was left of my skunk, and a check....told her thank you for calling, and have a great day. Some days your the windshield, some days your the bug....

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: bjansma] #5063866
05/28/15 07:09 PM
05/28/15 07:09 PM
kent county, MI
B
bluebill Offline
trapper
bluebill  Offline
trapper
B

kent county, MI
Originally Posted By: bjansma
Have to find your way into the richer communities. People that pay 75 a week to get their lawn mowed. I get referrals from a pest control company. They have over 1500 clients setup biannually at 250 per visit. Those referrals call to schedule, not ask how much.
I dont get much work from friends or family.
I know we always talk about internet marketing. That is one of my criticisms about IM. Its not very discerning in customer selection. Try getting in with pest companies, lawn services that might see moles, and other service industries where the services are discretionary, not necessary or emergency. Then you will be targeting people with money.

x2. Your current "customers" suck.

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5064061
05/28/15 09:33 PM
05/28/15 09:33 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Although I was involved in nearly the same type of skunk call that Albert posted, years ago, my how things have changed. I fully

expect that one of these days I'm going to get a call from one of our fine police officers and that it's going to go something like

this: "Paul, I'm chasing this bank robber on foot and he took a shot at me. I'd like to shoot back but you know how much paperwork is

involved. Could you bring your gun and come over and fire a few shots in his direction? I'd be eternally grateful!"

P.S. Muddawg, 17 years ago I sold my home and moved an hour closer to customers who could afford to get rid of their animal problems.

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5064085
05/28/15 09:46 PM
05/28/15 09:46 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
bjansma hit the nail right on the head with a bulls eye.

If you want to increase your per capita in mole work particularly, spend some time speaking with landscape companies, individuals/sole proprietors and lawn care outfits and you will have more work then you can handle. In a short while you will run out of traps and time in each day to set and run equipment.

We pay 10% for every job sold via a referral on the gross bid amount of each job. Cant find a better reference tool then thru these folks.

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5064232
05/28/15 11:19 PM
05/28/15 11:19 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Good ideas to keep in mind.

Thanks guys!

Muddawg
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5065801
05/30/15 03:13 PM
05/30/15 03:13 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
I'm wit' ya, dawg!
I have an acquaintance (thought he was a friend, but that's a special category for me) for whom I did quite a bit of free trapping. He now traps for others or "shows them how", cutting me out of income. The funny part is, he releases animals at the nearest creek!
...but to answer your question, I act shocked, pause for a second, then say very firmly "This is the way I make a living. Yes, I charge; as long as I have to pay for gas, electricity, groceries, etc., I have to charge my customers."

Last edited by Dave Schmidt; 05/30/15 03:17 PM.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5066420
05/30/15 11:57 PM
05/30/15 11:57 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Dave, we are trappers; no gas. covered wagon or boat. No electricity; fire made by striking flint together. Groceries? we live off

the land; lots a wild game and water. Okay, you got me. I don't know how to explain away the smartphones.

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5066780
05/31/15 12:05 PM
05/31/15 12:05 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
It sucks but you just can't expect people to pay for something they do themselves, like the snakes. If you change your own oil, you cut someone out.

Some people don't get it though. A guy I ran I to from high school asked how business was going, I tol him moles and gophers were keeping me,busy.

He laughs and says "we), you know I got my own way of dealing with problem animals". Alluding to shootin them. Yeah, good luck shooting moles

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread