ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5066838
05/31/15 12:57 PM
05/31/15 12:57 PM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Here, a lot of what folks do on there own is illegal. I heard about one guy sucking up bats with a vacuum cleaner and hauling them off to the landfill. That's a BIG no no here in North Carolina.

Anther guy just down the road from me shot a coon in the front yard cause he saw it out in the daylight so, of course, it was "rabid". The animal was causing no damage, showing no aggression and he had no depredation permit. It was just simply walking across the front yard in the daylight hours.

Even our own city dog catcher, who you think should know better, catches coons from folks back yards in town and hauls them out to the river and turns them loose. AGAIN, something we're not suppose to do here. We must euthanize all animals in the order carnivore that we pick up.

I could give you case after case of someone relocating, disposing, poisoning, or otherwise molesting wildlife, without license, permits or even cause. And we get no support from the state.

Our biggest problem is we just don't have enough Wildlife Enforcement officers. Most of our game wardens now have to cover multiple counties. They are stretched entirely too thin and so when someone shoots a bat, poisons a fox or relocates a coon, they just simply do not have the manpower to address the problem.

I don't know if anything can be done, but it makes me feel better to gripe about it a little.

Muddawg
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5066867
05/31/15 01:16 PM
05/31/15 01:16 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Throw Back, I think some of the automotive engineers are solving the "Change your own oil" problem. The first time I tried to change

oil in our 2010 F-150 was the last time. I can't imagine that anyone is too happy with that screwed up procedure. One of our guys had

a bill for $74 for an oil change which I thought was ridiculous. Full synthetic oil is almost always on sale for $3 a quart and Fram

oil filters are about $3 too. So you've got less than $20 in cost and more than $55 in labor.

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5066880
05/31/15 01:27 PM
05/31/15 01:27 PM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
The law breakers are a problem for sure. A woman asked me if I could,poison a raccoon for her and I told her it was illegal, and she says "well so, you can still do it". Got mad when I wouldn't. And another customer told me the last company she called was relocating animals to a farm. I told her he was either breaking,the law or lying, and I would neither.

Paul, I hate working,on cars with a passion. I can change a tire quicker than most, but past that I won't for anything

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5066920
05/31/15 01:58 PM
05/31/15 01:58 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Muddawg, I used to be bothered by the same things and they bothered me a lot. That was when I was a lot younger. As I grew older, I

looked at things a little differently. What is the overall population of the species? If you have raccoons coming out of your ears

like we do, no warden is going to issue a citation for anyone shooting a raccoon on his property in broad daylight. Most every game

animal in our state is enjoying huge population increases and car kills are everywhere so you will find our game wardens spending

their time checking fishing licenses. But if you think that they don't care about violations, just shoot a bald eagle and see how

long it takes before someone with a badge is knocking at your door. I call it "Enforcement with Intelligence" and I love it!

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5067856
06/01/15 03:10 AM
06/01/15 03:10 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Muddawg,

I decided after this last go round with the raccoon litter where the homeowner was left to wait till they died versus a bit of extra effort, that from now on I'm reporting what I hear and see.

For a long time I think my brain had somehow thought that it wasn't a good thing to report about illegal, unethical or just plain things that are wrong.

I'm not sure how I got there, but I am committed now to making sure it is known when something is said to have happened or I've seen it happen.

I see bad bat exclusions every year, just one example of what I know is happening. Female bats blocked from pups, pups dead inside walls or crawling out into homes. All of this with bats
makes the problem seem worse than it is because it isn't being done properly or ethically.

I've heard from people in at least 4 states about shop vacuum incidents with bats being routine for many companies and some are brand name national pest control companies.

I've never seen it here or heard of it from a client but if I do you can bet I'm reporting it.

In most states as you mention about NC it is illegal to "intentionally" harm or kill bats.

Then moving on from bats we have the folks who know it is maternity season and yet don't tell the client that the skunk, raccoon or other might have young in their home or under their home, etc....

The end result is like the week I've had, 3 companies, 3 different orphaned litters left to die or to cause a decomp/odor issue for the client.

Is everyone doing it out of malice?

No, surely not, we all know this field isn't perfect some issues are complicated and result in a variety of outcomes.

However when the companies people believe (due to marketing) are wildlife friendly, are actually perpetrating some of the worst incidents, I think we should be reporting as an industry when we
hear of or know of something.

If we aren't reporting we should at least be sure the client knows who to report to.

We are an industry that desires to be considered professional, yet how can we hope to ultimately be truly professional if we don't protect the resource and the laws and policies we agree to work
under in our respective states.

Today I had multiple calls for newborn skunks (eyes closed) where companies folks consider animal friendly hauled the female skunk off without ever talking about options or issues, and in both
cases these were simple skunk under shed where you could literally see the litters before you set the trap.....

If folks in my state hear I violated a policy or law I hope they report me, I understand folks not wanting to get involved or wondering if it really happened or what the truth is, but don't we have
an obligation to at least let officials investigate for themselves?

If they find no violation or issue, so be it, but at least I didn't let it go.

Wink, I get what you are saying about how wardens spend their time and what they do and don't get serious about.

When it comes to homeowners in most states they can do as they please on their property and it isn't them I have quarrel with.

What is a problem is licensed or unlicensed companies that are doing these things that are illegal and getting away with it.

Do I believe that folks will get arrested or even possibly fined in a large percentage of cases?

No not at all, I went to school in part for conservation law enforcement and one of the truths of law enforcement of wildlife code
is that the judge can toss whatever they want right out the window in most areas.

Poaching even is difficult to prosecute, I remember ride alongs in college with game wardens in NYS and all the cases they had
tossed by the judge even though everything was legit.

The facts are that most of these issues just don't rank on the scale most judges care about, on top of the fact that most states
barely have enough wardens to catch or write up even a small portion of violators of game and fish code let alone what may or may
not be going on in our industry.

Guess that was a rant of sorts, I just truly love working with people and wildlife conflict and I'd like to someday think that there
will be less stories about these hacks and unethical people, however I guess that would be in the land where beer flows like the river
and everything smells like apple pie....

Far from true or likely... but a guy can dream right?

I hope more folks will start to report on what they hear, many folks don't realize just how much is happening out there, one good reason
is they don't hear it in real reports!

Best,

Justin

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5067952
06/01/15 08:08 AM
06/01/15 08:08 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Thanks, Justin,

I got into this business to start with because it's where my passion drove me. I've been a hunter all my life, and a trapper for most of it and I can truly say that I am a conservationist. I like the challenge and the rewards of dealing with wildlife. I also like to know that we will have these critters around for the next generation to enjoy as I have.

If I take a female animal out without knowing it has little ones, is one thing. But if I can clearly see that she's nursing or, as you said, can clearly see the litter, I will move he ll and creation to get them out. Leaving the small ones to die from starvation is just down right unethical.

I'll not do a bat exclusion until September to begin with and even then will try to be sure all the little ones are flying. Bats are too valuable to us to waste them.

I am gonna try to be more diligent in reporting the wrongs I see in the future. I've remained quite on some that I felt may not be as important as others, but it stuck in my craw when I did. And it's not so much about them knocking me out of a business call as much as it is about just being plain WRONG.

Thanks for your comments. It makes me feel a bit more vindicated.

Muddawg
Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5068141
06/01/15 10:38 AM
06/01/15 10:38 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
You bet Muddawg,

I think you bring up another great point, most folks that do this grew up hunting, fishing and trapping. Everyone had to follow laws then and good rules and ethics are part of that culture so
should be part of what we bring into this field.

I know I felt an obligation growing up if someone was poaching to report it, doesn't mean they were prosecuted, but I was raised to do so and raised to follow the seasons and laws laid out for us.

Bat exclusion is one of my great loves now, not only as a business, but I love truly talking to folks about bats and it is a challenge to get that conversation to get to where they understand why
exclusion is done in this way versus that way and then versus now.

We employ a lot of different talking points to get folks to wait, but generally there aren't any we've had that balked when we explained why we wait, or that an interior seal could be done if needed
due to bats in living space prior to fall.

Have had 100% of them have us do the exterior that year or the following and as has been said by others, you can get deposits from folks so you have some funds during summer that will be completely
paid in the fall when you wrap up the job.

Just got a bat pup in last night from miles and miles away. About a week old max and the first I've seen this year. Hearing from folks in VA and across the states that big browns are giving birth too.

Hoping more and more folks are following maternity season and trying to help bats as they do need it and it doesn't mean losing business, just using your head to discuss with your clients.

Best and thanks for your dedication to this issue!

Justin

Re: Hard to Build a Business This Way [Re: Muddawg] #5068553
06/01/15 06:48 PM
06/01/15 06:48 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I guess I'm surprised that you guys would know people and companies that openly violate the game laws in your respective states. If

there was a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a violator, I would still be penniless. I hear stories all

the time about companies and individuals that seem a little shady in their dealings but nothing concrete. We will not refer companies

whose name has come up a couple of times with complaints but I think most of our warden's time is spent doing the impossible; TRYING

TO CURE STUPID!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread