No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5062528
05/27/15 02:29 PM
05/27/15 02:29 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
I find these threads fascinating as long as they don't erupt into arguments.The common thought is small traps equal little damage and big traps mean lots of damage,well, not necessarily.I've caught coyotes in unmodified no.2 northwoods and Bridgers that had me scratching my head,then caught them in no.4 jumps that were perfect pad catches with no visible damage whatsoever.There are a lot of variables connected here,I'm not saying no.2's are no good or that I get consistant pad catches with no.4 jumps.Years ago when we had a lot of fox I used 11/2 coils exclusively and loved them.Then I heard about the 13/4 victor and northwoods and how much better they were.Staked or dragged I was not happy about the damage I got on the majority of fox.I was confused because current wisdom at the time said these were it,could'nt get any better.For that type of setting,meaning primarily fox with a occasional coyote(traps have no.2 springs)and 'coon I went back to the 11/2 coils and learned a lesson.Modified no.4 longsprings always treated my coyotes better than unmodified no.2's.

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5062621
05/27/15 03:59 PM
05/27/15 03:59 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
It's about chain length and how short you stake and how many swivels you use.
When I live market trapped It was more about the damage you couldn't see that was the problem. Ligament damage muscle damage and so on.

I had less damage with 1.75 Dukes with short chains and Inside laminations then I had with any other trap I used.
If I'm fur trapping I'm putting that animal down.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5062636
05/27/15 04:15 PM
05/27/15 04:15 PM
SWMo.
T
tjm Offline
trapper
tjm  Offline
trapper
T

SWMo.
Beav, you ever see fox trappers that followed Oberto's theory of no pan? And guide to hit the shank or cut down pan? I have some old traps modded that way and they work just fine, if you have foxes.

There are uses for all the size traps or they never would have been made. One size never fits all and one style never fits all; unless baggy,tight and ugly are what you like.
On land I'll probably never use bigger than SVS#4 nor smaller than Vic1 1/2 in coils & #2 or #3 LS although have bigger and smaller and have used them.
I like the LS traps, but can carry more coils in one pocket given the same size; so if trapping right under the truck or with a pack mule would likely chose LS, but when hiking would use coils.
Same thought goes to bedding and covering, soil type and condition might determine what I grab.

How large is the targets foot? Coyote and cats make the biggest track in my woods and I have never seen one that would not fit in a 1 1/2 coil.

How do they get damaged? IMO, damage is in how they fight the trap after the catch is made and how the trap fights back and this might be determined more by the chain length, anchor system and available cover than by the trap, although a heavy LS might tire them quicker than a coil.

Type of set might favor big over small as could snow. That #5LS wouldn't be much fun in a step down as might be used around stock.

I let the circumstances chose the trap.

Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5062747
05/27/15 06:31 PM
05/27/15 06:31 PM
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Were those Dukes offset?What was your timetable on checking?I have very little experience with anything Duke.Also,how did they hold up to coyotes?

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5062778
05/27/15 07:04 PM
05/27/15 07:04 PM
montana
R
red mt Offline
trapper
red mt  Offline
trapper
R

montana
This a common scenario for myselfand some others close around.
Bobcat traps not a hard critter to hold or fight a trap to bad if much.
6 inches on any given nite up to 3 ft.some years no cubbies but under a tree somewhere in land of quota 's on trappers and on regions , sorry had to get that in there .
Useing coils or dbls 3 or 4s am I over gunned?
The reason I ask is some very popular traps tha t say 2s are really 3 size 3s are 4 sizes with as much as 6.5 and some coils like herters 4 was like 7outside jaw spread if I am correct.
A lot of good trappers are useing dbls4s or 3bridger coilspring that is 6 1/16 inside or a 650 at 6 1/8 inside and to be fair useing a drag on almost all sets.?
Not saying I'm going to change because what I have works.
Just for the record I do not believe 750 or a 5 is need for wolves either but jao caught to many with less trap , but I would not want to limit a guy on choices either .
Tjm I do like what you had to say about let the spot pick the trap.

Kenneth schoening
Re: big trap rant! [Re: tjm] #5062978
05/27/15 09:37 PM
05/27/15 09:37 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: tjm
Beav, you ever see fox trappers that followed Oberto's theory of no pan? And guide to hit the shank or cut down pan? I have some old traps modded that way and they work just fine, if you have foxes.

There are uses for all the size traps or they never would have been made. One size never fits all and one style never fits all; unless baggy,tight and ugly are what you like.
On land I'll probably never use bigger than SVS#4 nor smaller than Vic1 1/2 in coils & #2 or #3 LS although have bigger and smaller and have used them.
I like the LS traps, but can carry more coils in one pocket given the same size; so if trapping right under the truck or with a pack mule would likely chose LS, but when hiking would use coils.
Same thought goes to bedding and covering, soil type and condition might determine what I grab.

How large is the targets foot? Coyote and cats make the biggest track in my woods and I have never seen one that would not fit in a 1 1/2 coil.

How do they get damaged? IMO, damage is in how they fight the trap after the catch is made and how the trap fights back and this might be determined more by the chain length, anchor system and available cover than by the trap, although a heavy LS might tire them quicker than a coil.

Type of set might favor big over small as could snow. That #5LS wouldn't be much fun in a step down as might be used around stock.

I let the circumstances chose the trap.

I once bought about a 100 traps from one of the best fox trappers In WI.
They were all #2 vic coils. What I noticed that every trap pan was cut down to about half the stock size. I asked him about this and he said son I would rather have a track on a pattern then a sprung trap with no catch. He said a fox with a bunch of dirt thrown In It's face makes for a "set" shy fox.

My Duke 1.75s Non off set held just fine with out a lot of mods. The one thing I did do was to remove the J hook from the end of the frame. I then welded on a single chain link to the bottom of the frame. I let that link stick out about a 1/2" I figured the J hook In that hole In the end of the frame was the first thing to foul up and cause the swiveling action to bind up.
I then attached the J hook directly to the chain link. Most If not all of the fouling of the swivel In this area went away.

Cats just don't fight a trap like a coyote or a fox some times you don't even have a catch circle with a cat catch. I can't remember any damage to a cats foot no matter what sized trap.

I Don't use offsets I don't see the need.

All my sets are checked daily and In freezing conditions I would either cover the traps or check twice a day at night.
I have yet to find a trap or system that was 100% perfect to eliminate foot damage on grey fox. If a grey weighed 50lbs I'd be afraid to trap them LOL. Nothing fights a trap like a grey.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5063068
05/27/15 10:32 PM
05/27/15 10:32 PM
Panhandle of Idaho
B
board stretcher Offline OP
trapper
board stretcher  Offline OP
trapper
B

Panhandle of Idaho
this could be one of the big things that i am missing when it comes to fox cuz i have no fox here and have no idea how they act in a trap!

1989 speling "B" champione.

Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5198648
09/17/15 01:29 AM
09/17/15 01:29 AM
Panhandle of Idaho
B
board stretcher Offline OP
trapper
board stretcher  Offline OP
trapper
B

Panhandle of Idaho
TTT, i forgot i made this thread and how good it was !

1989 speling "B" champione.

Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5198662
09/17/15 02:43 AM
09/17/15 02:43 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
When I started trapping live market, a member here told me Jake traps were the way to go. A bigger trap (but no where as big as your's) I had my doubts but since I had an abundance of them I set some and caught a coyote right off. Took him out and his foot looked wonderful. Best looking foot all year. But a week later was a different story. Bought some antibiotics but despite them figured I would need to pelt that one for 3 weeks or better. Eventually with the medicine he healed up, but that was the first and LAST time I'll use anything bigger than a 2 coil #2 for coyotes I need to take alive.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #5198665
09/17/15 03:37 AM
09/17/15 03:37 AM
Upstate, S.C.
C
Carcat Offline
trapper
Carcat  Offline
trapper
C

Upstate, S.C.
I'm not an ole pro, but I have noticed that I don't get as irritated when a small trap gets stolen. I sold some used traps to a guy who said he preferred the small traps because they were easier to hide from thieves.

Re: big trap rant! [Re: board stretcher] #6246540
05/23/18 11:10 PM
05/23/18 11:10 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ttt

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread