ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
When domestic animals are present #5047846
05/14/15 05:25 PM
05/14/15 05:25 PM
Nebraska
markh28 Offline OP
trapper
markh28  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
I have been fur trapping for many years. I normally turn down the few ADC requests I get in the off season, but they are starting to get more frequent and I can see a future revenue stream. My newest request is from a farmer whos cats keep getting killed by coyotes and fox. I could set a few cage traps and possibly get the foxes but I am pretty sure a coyote wont go in a cage. Foot holds and snares aren't an option with his pets. Any ideas?

“The coyote cry, for some reason, never fails to get under my skin. It makes my heart beat a little faster..."
-- Bill Nelson
Re: When domestic animals are present [Re: markh28] #5047853
05/14/15 05:38 PM
05/14/15 05:38 PM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline
trapper
K

Virginia

Re: When domestic animals are present [Re: markh28] #5047870
05/14/15 06:01 PM
05/14/15 06:01 PM
Georgia
K
Kirk De Offline
trapper
Kirk De  Offline
trapper
K

Georgia
If you can use live bait, you can be successful based on reports I have received. The presentation and how the set is made is extremely important.

I was told by a fellow that he has been catching red foxes all winter by placing a bird in a cage up against a structure, then placing a trap up against the cage to where the predator has to enter the trap to follow and get closest to the bird. The birds fed closest to the door and leads him into the trap when he runs. He told me his neighbors said he would have no luck with a cage where he lived. Predators were getting his chickens.

All of the most effective sets I am hearing about are set that way. The size and shape of the cage holding the live bait is important, so is the size and shape of the trap itself.

A major problem is the domestics will plug your traps. Scent is a problem, but the live bird helps to over come that.

The Real Reasons Animals Are Detecting Your Sets And Devices by Kirk Dekalb
https://amzn.to/2Hn1hxv
Re: When domestic animals are present [Re: markh28] #5048373
05/15/15 03:01 AM
05/15/15 03:01 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Is the guy confident he is losing the cats to coyote or fox? Just curious if he has witnessed the action or found the evidence that confirmed it. Outdoor cats are subject to plenty of potential forms of mortality
and predators are just one in a long line of them.

Not saying it isn't them, just curious if he has the smoking gun.

My lil brother lives on the family farm and not being inclined toward wildlife it always amuses me when he mentions feeding the barn cats and seeing various wildlife and then not seeing one or two of the barn
cats days later or ever again....

I've tried to explain to him cause and effect like we do with so many clients and the general public about unattended domestics but hasn't seemed to have gotten through...

Often in so many cases too the predator identified isn't the correct one, had friends years ago in MI that saw coyotes all the time and assumed they were robbing the henhouse. We caught 3 red fox within 4 days
right up against the poultry area. They had never seen a red fox on the property, ever..... Losses stopped.

Same thing out here have a couple of local areas where folks always claim coyotes did this or that when in reality all the sign shows raccoon or skunk or hawk or owl.... I realize the farmer probably wouldn't lose sleep over which
predator it is, just curious if he told you he saw it or if he is surmising the disappearing cats are from X or Y predator due to his gut belief.

Just curious, nothing serious....

Justin

Re: When domestic animals are present [Re: markh28] #5048546
05/15/15 09:03 AM
05/15/15 09:03 AM
NH
S
sgs Offline
trapper
sgs  Offline
trapper
S

NH
Quote:
Foot holds and snares aren't an option with his pets.

The foot holds could be.

If the problem really is coyotes they probably aren't denning in or near the barnyard. Use your trapping skills and find out where the coyotes are coming from. Go to them.

If the problem is fox they may well be near the barnyard. By using cages and maybe 1.5 Victor Soft Catch on the far side of the denning area you may have success without harming the pets.

Replacing the cats would probably be the most cost effective solution though.

Re: When domestic animals are present [Re: sgs] #5048558
05/15/15 09:13 AM
05/15/15 09:13 AM
NM
H
HD_Wildlife Offline
trapper
HD_Wildlife  Offline
trapper
H

NM
Originally Posted By: sgs
[quote]Replacing the cats would probably be the most cost effective solution though.

Lol!

Re: When domestic animals are present [Re: markh28] #5048633
05/15/15 10:47 AM
05/15/15 10:47 AM
Nebraska
markh28 Offline OP
trapper
markh28  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Quote:

LOL X2

Seriously though, these are all good suggestions. I have much to learn about the differences between ADC work and fur trapping. Like you said HD Wildlife, he claims it is coyotes and fox but he doesn't have proof that I know of. Growing up on a farm I know farm cats come and go for many reasons...pretty much a fact of life. Another issue he has, is his farm yard is on a fairly small property, which borders a heavily wooded area (thick with wildlife of all kinds) that he doesn't own. In Nebraska we can't use bait that is visible in plain sight within 30 feet of foot hold traps.

That collarum contraption looks rather interesting...However, they are not cheap. But one ADC job would pay for it I guess.

“The coyote cry, for some reason, never fails to get under my skin. It makes my heart beat a little faster..."
-- Bill Nelson
Re: When domestic animals are present [Re: markh28] #5048758
05/15/15 01:01 PM
05/15/15 01:01 PM
Central NC
T
traprjohn Offline
trapper
traprjohn  Offline
trapper
T

Central NC
Try to find where predators are entering the area, AWAY from the cat zone, like under fences, etc..100 yds or more from the zone.

www.sevenoakstrappingsupplies.com for trap mods and gear
The 10 Commandments are not suggestions.
Buy a soldiers meal EVERY chance you can.

Re: When domestic animals are present [Re: HD_Wildlife] #5048768
05/15/15 01:13 PM
05/15/15 01:13 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Originally Posted By: HD_Wildlife
[quote=sgs]
Quote:
Lol!

Cats will more than replace themselves if given a chance!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread