ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Internet Exposure #5045131
05/12/15 08:13 AM
05/12/15 08:13 AM
Dudley NC
M
Muddawg Offline OP
trapper
Muddawg  Offline OP
trapper
M

Dudley NC
Okay. Every one says that I must advertise on the internet. "Get yourself a web page." they said. I did that.
"Get yourself a Facebook page!" Well, I did that, too.
"Get a Craig's List add." Okey dokey. Got that.
"Don't forget Angie's list!" I didn't forget it. I'm on there, too!

But for all the business stuff I've done on line, for over a year now, I've not gotten the first call from any of it yet!

When doing a search, my website doesn't come up on Google for the first 15 pages or more. To find my Facebook page, you have to type in the full name of my business. Craig's and Angie's list? You got me, Dude. I just don't think people go there when looking for critter removal.

The only interest that my web page has ginned up is add after add flooding my e-mail wanting me to sign up with this group or that group for anywhere between 80 to 150 bucks a month to be placed on Google first page.

Do any of you guys have a better idea?

Muddawg
Re: Internet Exposure [Re: Muddawg] #5045168
05/12/15 08:46 AM
05/12/15 08:46 AM
Northeast Wisconsin
N
NE Wildlife Offline
trapper
NE Wildlife  Offline
trapper
N

Northeast Wisconsin
Pay to play!! I think you will have to pay at the very
Least 50 dollars a Month to keep your website
Updated and on the first page. unless your computer
Savvy.

Re: Internet Exposure [Re: Muddawg] #5045245
05/12/15 09:44 AM
05/12/15 09:44 AM
OH
Eric Arnold Offline
trapper
Eric Arnold  Offline
trapper

OH
The first question to ask is how many people in your service area actually use the Internet to find service companies. I've found that companies that cold call have all kinds of numbers for this (similar to Yellow Pages account managers claiming X number of calls per month) but the best method to determine how much it actually gets used is to look at your own/families search history and to ask friends and neighbors how much they actually use it. Despite popular belief, there are still quite a few places that primarily use the phone book or other printed materials versus trying to Google it. For those servicing areas where the Internet isn't used that often, now is the time to start getting ready for when it is.

For areas that have a lot of Internet usage, there is a reason why Internet advertising companies exist. Just as we specialize in resolving wildlife conflicts, they specialize in promoting company's to prospective clients. I'm talking more than just page rankings with the good companies. I'm talking about focused search zones, search phrase conditions, websites with enough information to make prospects want to call instead of doing it themselves, pay-per-click campaigns, social media and name branding to name a few.

These companies charge for their services just like we charge for ours and so we should expect certain results by hiring them. Again, just like in our industry, we need to set and understand the expectations set within the financial constraints we've placed and monitor the results received. If we don't like what we're paying for then we need to go to another company (which is why we need to understand term length, cancellation fees, etc).

Developing a true Internet identity is a full time job that most of us cannot dedicate the time/resources required to make it very successful. So talk to multiple companies (like Mike Hurley's to name a T-Man member) to see what they offer, what it will cost, and what you can expect from them. Just remember, you can spend $100 a month, $10,000 a month, $100,000 a month or more on the Internet but if your client base isn't using it to find you, you're just wasting advertising dollars.

Eric Arnold
Publishing Editor W.C.T. Magazine
Editor The Fur Taker Magazine
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread