Wildcrafting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~Trapperman.com Live
Trap Chat~Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar
Photo Gallery~Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Wildcrafting
Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulator Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Print Thread
Hop To
Newbie here #5043544
05/10/15 09:47 PM
05/10/15 09:47 PM
Wisconsin
E
Ellendra Offline OP
trapper
Ellendra  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Hi, I came across this forum while doing some research on wildcrafting. This place has been a treasure trove of information! I decided to join because I had a few questions. I live in Madison but own land in Green County, and both properties have a ton of stuff growing on them. I'd like to learn how to collect and sell some of it.

First, I have tentatively identified one of the weeds that took over my parents' backyard, but I'd like some confirmation.

Am I right in thinking that's cranesbill? I've checked a couple of my herbs books and they don't have cranesbill listed at all.

Also, I have a lot of greater celandine growing around here, is anybody buying that?

And is there an herbs buyer in the south-central region of Wisconsin?

2 acres of my land is slated to be plowed up soon, and I'll be using that section for cultivated herbs. The rest is steep enough at can't be cultivated using conventional means, which is actually why I was able to afford it. Most of it is covered in goldenrod and wild parsnip, but there's some other interesting things interspersed.

With collecting, my biggest limiting factor right now is drying space. I have an electric dehydrator but it gets hot enough i don't think it would work for herbs. I'm looking to get an enclosed trailer I can turn into a drying shed, but that hasn't happened yet. Any advice for drying herbs when space is at a premium?
(Or rather, when space where things will be left alone instead of being thrown out because somebody thought it was trash. Trying to move out, but that hasn't happened yet either.)

Anyway, thanks for the great forum, guys!

Re: Newbie here [Re: Ellendra] #5043687
05/11/15 06:12 AM
05/11/15 06:12 AM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline
trapper

Illinois
Ellendra , unfortunately that's not cranesbill......I posted this awhile back

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...al_#Post2603807

the plant you have there has three leaves on a stem.......cranesbill has a single leaf on a stem. i'm not sure if its blooming or not in Wisconsin....but when it does it has a very pretty purple flower.

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread