ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Animals in the attic. #5028300
04/27/15 01:42 PM
04/27/15 01:42 PM
Hubbard , Ohio
H
Honeydog Offline OP
trapper
Honeydog  Offline OP
trapper
H

Hubbard , Ohio
I do work for a land management company that sends me to a lot of condo associations. At one , an 83 unit complex , I trapped 5 raccoons out of the attic of one of the units last fall. Last week she sent me out for three units . Two of them could hear something going up the roof around 6:00 am and down the roof at around 9:00 pm. The other said she could hear things moving around at night especially around 10 to 11 o'clock pm. Lots of scratching. Said it sounded like kids were living upstairs. The attic area where the noise is coming from is in a pretty inaccessible area. All three units are next to a creek that borders the complex , and they are not far from each other. I caught three sow raccoons and a possum outside at the first two. The sows were not lactating. The last few days the traps and bait have been untouched and they have not heard anything. At the third place , I caught a large boar coon the first day. She heard noises the first night after I got it , then nothing the next few days. The traps and bait have been untouched. Last night she said they were very active and it sounded like small stones being dropped. I was thinking squirrels , but , at night? Plus , two of the traps at her place were baited with WCS Corndog bait , which is a squirrel magnet , but I haven't seen a squirrel. I'm going back up into the attic tomorrow to try to get a better look. I did sell the association a long term raccoon reduction package for this year. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5028322
04/27/15 02:14 PM
04/27/15 02:14 PM
Haubstadt, In.
G
G Hanold Offline
trapper
G Hanold  Offline
trapper
G

Haubstadt, In.
Have you found the entry point?

User formerly known as Hanible.

Trapping &
Removal of
Animal
Pests
Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5028341
04/27/15 02:36 PM
04/27/15 02:36 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Flyers or deer mouse.

Any droppings?

Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5029168
04/27/15 11:55 PM
04/27/15 11:55 PM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
"very active and it sounded like small stones being dropped"

Flyers is what I would say, but wrong time of the year in my area.

I have caught raccoons, gray squirrels, flyers and mice all from the same small attic at the same time.

Find the raccoon entry points, if you think they are gone put a soft plug over the entry. Something a coon can move easy. Best way I have found is work from largest to smallest animal on these jobs. Get the raccoons out of the way first.

Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5029886
04/28/15 06:00 PM
04/28/15 06:00 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
We went to finish a bat job today and while inspecting the attic I noticed a flyer run across my flashlight beam. I called the guy who did the seal job over, and pointed out what shouldn't be there.

It turns out that the flyer chewed its way back in right above his 1 way door. The foam was replaced with copper and silicone. He's going to have a tougher time getting back in.

I agree with getting the bigger stuff out first. I've seen flyers work their way down a line of mouse traps until they hit the rat trap. That ends the buffet line.

Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5030324
04/28/15 11:06 PM
04/28/15 11:06 PM
Hubbard , Ohio
H
Honeydog Offline OP
trapper
Honeydog  Offline OP
trapper
H

Hubbard , Ohio
Today I tried to access the area where she is hearing the noises. These units have multiple roofs and they are all sealed off separately. I could not get to the area through either of the attic openings. The animal's access point is at the top of a very steeply pitched roof that is above and behind another steeply pitched roof. Looks like I would need two ladders. I don't own an extension ladder. In other work I have done here , I trap the coons and they have a roofing company that does the repairs. I guess I will have to borrow ladders and try to get up there. The last two days , she has heard nothing.

Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5030410
04/29/15 12:39 AM
04/29/15 12:39 AM
CT
R
RF Wildlife Offline
trapper
RF Wildlife  Offline
trapper
R

CT
Check the ones you catch to see if they are nursing. You are probably leaving kits in the attic

Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5036944
05/05/15 12:54 AM
05/05/15 12:54 AM
Hubbard , Ohio
H
Honeydog Offline OP
trapper
Honeydog  Offline OP
trapper
H

Hubbard , Ohio
Since my first post the first two places have been sealed and there are no more noises. I have taken two more coons , both pregnant females , in the creek that runs behind them. At the third place she is hearing noises about every third night. I took another huge boar there a couple of days ago , and she says that the noises are different now , more of a "light scampering" noise. Her words. I have not caught a lactating female in this entire complex , so I know I didn't leave any babies. I really don't want to go up on that roof , but I may have to. I was sent to one of her neighbors today for "nuts rolling around in the attic since last fall". Found a perfectly round 2 inch hole chewed in the siding. I haven't done a lot of squirrel trapping , but I'm thinking reds or flyers. I will soon find out.

Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5037228
05/05/15 10:48 AM
05/05/15 10:48 AM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
I have heard stories about red squirrels and flyers competing against in other in bowling tournaments. If you also find mice up

there, those are the pin setters. ( Squirrels haven't got automatic pin setters yet ) A customer told me that is exactly what it

sounds like.

Re: Animals in the attic. [Re: Honeydog] #5037367
05/05/15 12:59 PM
05/05/15 12:59 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
If they chewed a new hole I'd guess reds.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread