ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Maybe You Guys Know... [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5028357
04/27/15 03:07 PM
04/27/15 03:07 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Yeah, thanks Ron. Now that we've got that taken care of, I have to order some catch poles for the guys. What's the handiest size? I

think they come in 28", 36", 48", and 60". I believe they also have adjustable 6 to 12 footers for people like me who are not allowed

on ladders.

Re: Maybe You Guys Know... [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5028512
04/27/15 05:51 PM
04/27/15 05:51 PM
Lower Alabama (Daleville)
L
LAtrapper Offline
"Professor"
LAtrapper  Offline
"Professor"
L

Lower Alabama (Daleville)
I use the 60 inch catch pole. I have used it on critters from cat size to large dog size, including beaver, otter, bobcat, coyote fox, etc. If I need something longer, I use a snare attached to a Telescoping Extension Pole

. The padded roller can be removed from a roller frame and the frame then bent into a “J HOOK”. This comes in handy for removing dead animals from under narrow crawl spaces, porches, and other restricted areas. Snares can be made to hold almost any sized mammal.

Note to self- Engage brain before opening mouth (or hitting the ENTER key/SUBMIT button).

Ron Fry

Re: Maybe You Guys Know... [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5028523
04/27/15 05:59 PM
04/27/15 05:59 PM
Tug Hill, New York
A
Albert Burns Offline
trapper
Albert Burns  Offline
trapper
A

Tug Hill, New York
Paul, I had one of those adjustable ones, Ketch All 6-12 foot. Seemed like a great idea at the time, being able to reach into those dumpsters and grab a coon with it. I sold it real quick, after my first attempt at putting a coon into a cage from 12 feet away. The customer got his fee in just free entertainment that day. We keep a 5 foot Ketch All on the truck now. It seems to be the handiest size for what we run into. It is long enough to keep me at a safe distance, and short enough that when working alone I can still manage a coon on the end and get it into a cage safely.

Re: Maybe You Guys Know... [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5028692
04/27/15 07:41 PM
04/27/15 07:41 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
36"- 48" is usually plenty for me in most cases. But I have many years using a control pole for fox and coyote work in my live market trapping years. You lose control of an animal if you get much bigger. I did few thousand canine removals from coil spring traps then transferred them to a smaller cages or a larger capacity holding pen. Longer poles have their limited place but on a daily basis I would rather use a modest length control pole.

Most of my work has been up close in most cases but we carry 3 sizes on our truck that fit most situations.

Re: Maybe You Guys Know... [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5028698
04/27/15 07:43 PM
04/27/15 07:43 PM
Woodhull, Illinois 77
J
Jim Bethell Offline
trapper
Jim Bethell  Offline
trapper
J

Woodhull, Illinois 77
Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Yeah, thanks Ron. Now that we've got that taken care of, I have to order some catch poles for the guys. What's the handiest size? I

think they come in 28", 36", 48", and 60". I believe they also have adjustable 6 to 12 footers for people like me who are not allowed

on ladders.

Of the people that buy from, most ADC guys buy the 5 ft. The coyote live catch guys buy the 4 ft. ones. Hope that helps Paul.

Re: Maybe You Guys Know... [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5028923
04/27/15 09:33 PM
04/27/15 09:33 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline OP
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline OP
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Thanks guys; that was some great information. I haven't had a catchpole or a graspers in my truck since somebody borrowed them and

that was years ago. ( Which is kind of funny since I still probably do more hand to hand combat with animals than any two employees )

Since these guys are fairly new, I think a four footer is all the can reasonably handle. I am not making this up: I had to stop

posting to go out and get a distemper raccoon. Just me and my trusty landing net. That raccoon may have been sick but he sure could

run. I had to chase him halfway through the woods and had to knock him off of two tree trunks before I could get the net over him.

I've decided that the reason I use a landing net in my old age is that there is way more room for error.

Re: Maybe You Guys Know... [Re: Paul Winkelmann] #5035299
05/03/15 12:07 PM
05/03/15 12:07 PM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
Wink, my Ninja training enables me to catch greys going by at a dead run. I am also invisible and bulletproof...
Maybe I used the term "cat grabbers" too loosely; I have several sizes of "pick-up tools", and the smaller ones are great for pulling a squirrel out from behind something.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread