ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
How much detail? #5031408
04/29/15 11:36 PM
04/29/15 11:36 PM
Sacramento Mountains NM
mtncat Offline OP
trapper
mtncat  Offline OP
trapper

Sacramento Mountains NM
Just curious on how much detail you all are putting into proposals. Reason I'm asking is at the end of this post..
Me? I detail everything out. Just finished a clean out, dead animal removal, exclusion etc. proposal was detailed to the point of listing what material was to be used, how it was to be attached to the structure, what kind of wire, how it was to be staked to the ground, what disinfectant was to be used, including a copy of the "MSDS" sheet.
Maybe over board but that is the way I've always done it.
Now the "why I'm asking"
I requested a proposal from a local construction company for some road work, leveling and dirt work, base corse, and pavement.
This is one of the biggest contractors in my part of the state. This is a slow time for them so they are looking for work.
Entire project came in at just under $70,000.00
They sent out their estimator who looked at the job. He came back a couple of days later to measure it out. Personal opinion, he should have done that in the first trip.
Got the estimate/proposal today.
The entire description of work to be performed is 3 sentences of no more then 10 words each!
My response was rather blunt. For $70,000.00 I want to see in writing what you are going to do, what you are going to do it with, details of a time frame, diagrams of area to be worked on and paved etc.
Is this "normal" for big companies?

Re: How much detail? [Re: mtncat] #5031426
04/29/15 11:53 PM
04/29/15 11:53 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
We are not a big company and we are also a terrible example. We are one of those "Our word is our bond" types. Don't know how much

money we saved by not having proposals but it'd got to be a chunk by now. Big jobs do get written guarantees and you are absolutely

right about a 70 grand job. For that chunk of change, writing in blood would not be too extreme!

Re: How much detail? [Re: mtncat] #5031497
04/30/15 02:27 AM
04/30/15 02:27 AM
California
T
Throw Back Offline
trapper
Throw Back  Offline
trapper
T

California
Somewhere in between you two. I try to be fairly specific so a customer doesnt try to over work me for the money.

"Clean out soiled insulation immediatley around the chimney and ajoining wall."

"Install dig proof barrier around three sides of tool shed."

"Repair two damaged vents over garage door."

I like them to know what to expect of the results, but I dont need to explain what cleaners, hardware cloth, nails and dust pan I use.

Re: How much detail? [Re: mtncat] #5031542
04/30/15 06:18 AM
04/30/15 06:18 AM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Most of our stuff is fairly structured and typed out on our contract so only a box needs to be checked. There is a notes section where particulars can be addressed... how many inches and what type of new insulation, etc. If you are doing the work going into so much detail as to how the hardware cloth will be attached is probably fine, but if you are only the sales guy and will have somebody else doing the work I can see where there will be an issue as the tech might need to improvise once he actually gets to look closely at the issue. Additional rot, etc might not be visible from the ground.

Re: How much detail? [Re: mtncat] #5031551
04/30/15 06:54 AM
04/30/15 06:54 AM
Southwest Michigan
M
Michigan Trappin Offline
trapper
Michigan Trappin  Offline
trapper
M

Southwest Michigan
I've been a general contractor for over 15 years, and my advise is do not sign agreement I have more info than three lines when installing a storm door.

The details are there to protect you as we'll as them

For 70k there is a ton of room for them to say, " that was not included"

If you really want them to do the job because they have a good reputation you can right the specifications for the job and have them "bid" on it. But you still need to make sure that the details are there

Ie, how wide, how long, removal of old materials, thickness of and specifications of base materials, same for surface materials, final grading of shoulders, ect ect ect

I'm a detail guy, so I want to also know WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED. Get some estimates from others In your area and if you select another company let the other company know why you didn't select them. I always encourage people who do t select me to let me know why. And always ask those who do select me to also tell me why. And over the years those that hadn't heard about me through referrals mostly said because of the details In my proposal

Just starting ADC work but am trying to apply the same details on jobs for it too

Good luck

Every day is a gift from GOD, don't waste it!!

If they have plenty of food, give them something interesting to smell
Re: How much detail? [Re: mtncat] #5031622
04/30/15 08:06 AM
04/30/15 08:06 AM
Florida
B
bjansma Offline
trapper
bjansma  Offline
trapper
B

Florida
For me, animal removals don't get a contract, kind of like Paul. Restoration estimates are detailed line by line similar to an insurance adjuster's estimate. I guess I do the insurance estimate that way not necessarily to protect myself but to facilitate the claim if they are going through insurance.

I am asking myself if I could spend 70k with a 3 sentence estimate and I know I could. A poor estimate with a good company is better than a good estimate with a bad company.

Bob Jansma
Re: How much detail? [Re: mtncat] #5031865
04/30/15 12:56 PM
04/30/15 12:56 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
With all that detail, do you worry or has it happened that the HO will say, "I can do all that myself or get my lazy Bro in law to work off some of the money he owes me". I've had way too many calls where they're clearly trying to pick my brain for some Do It My self work.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: How much detail? [Re: mtncat] #5035268
05/03/15 11:27 AM
05/03/15 11:27 AM
St. Louis area
D
Dave Schmidt Offline
trapper
Dave Schmidt  Offline
trapper
D

St. Louis area
What Throw Back and Big Bob said. Be very specific about the area (e.g., "entry-proof fascia/roof deck gap - front of main house roof, 10' at NW corner") covered, and the warranty ("guaranteed for X against x animal species entry"). Most people are not interested in any more than that. For those with more questions, have an answer - but no need to write it out.

ALL OUT Wildlife Control
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread