ADC Trapper Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

WCS
(Please support Wildlife Control Supplies, our sponsor for the ADC Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Best ADC Reference Books #5032159
04/30/15 06:14 PM
04/30/15 06:14 PM
Virginia
K
Kurt in Va Offline OP
trapper
Kurt in Va  Offline OP
trapper
K

Virginia
What do you carry in your truck, or grab from the bookshelf in the office?
On animals or Repairs

Kurt Temple

Re: Best ADC Reference Books [Re: Kurt in Va] #5032236
04/30/15 07:24 PM
04/30/15 07:24 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
Kurt, funny as it may seem, when I have a question, I nearly always get the answer here on T-man either in a post or in a PM. I

wonder what size book it would take to answer just the questions that have been asked in the last six months. I caught my first

muskrat in 1955 and I've been asking questions ever since. You would think that 60 years of catching animals would give me all the

answers; not so. Dealing with birds and animals that were nowhere to be found in 1955, I've got more questions now than I did back

then. ( I'm also having as much fun as I did back then, which really makes growing old worthwhile )

Re: Best ADC Reference Books [Re: Kurt in Va] #5032399
04/30/15 09:06 PM
04/30/15 09:06 PM
Schenectady, NY
E
EatenByLimestone Offline
trapper
EatenByLimestone  Offline
trapper
E

Schenectady, NY
Tough question. I carry the nuisance wildlife manual for my state. I can't say I've referenced it, but I have my log in the same folder. I keep printouts of the labels of all pesticides that I carry on the truck. I do reference those from time to time to make sure the pest can be treated with my product or the location is approved. I recently read my label to make sure I could use the product in a fogger.

I think the most important thing you need to do is be able to improvise. Experience and knowledge in how houses are constructed and the behaviors of what you're trapping/excluding help.

I could see where a bird I'D book could be helpful to make sure you don't run up against migratory bird laws.

Having a smartphone helps an awful lot. I can usually get a signal strong enough to google needed info.

Re: Best ADC Reference Books [Re: Kurt in Va] #5032678
04/30/15 11:51 PM
04/30/15 11:51 PM
mequon, wisconsin
P
Paul Winkelmann Offline
trapper
Paul Winkelmann  Offline
trapper
P

mequon, wisconsin
You know, Eaten really makes a great point there. Whenever there is a question concerning wildlife habits like breeding period, birth

periods, hibernation, etc. I just consult the Wisconsin DNR on my computer and they pretty much cover my questions. A lot of input

from college students doing research for their different courses. They're even recording trapping on campus now.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread